Ok guys I need a bit of help. I've got a 1996 john deere 650g dozer. It is a direct drive power shift model. I've had this machine since last May and has been great. When I bought the machine the previous owner who was an elderly gent had wired the inching pedal to the side of the machine because he said at times when he depressed it, it would stick and he would have to reach down and manually unstick it. Since I've owned it if you were to come against a large imoveable object it would dump it's load off of the tracks and act just like a clutch had been depressed. Kinda like if you where on a tractor and were over loading it and pushed in the clutch the load would be taken off. This happens without the inching pedal being depressed. Since it's been cold lately the problem seems to have gotten a bit worse and the higher gears such as 2 and 3 seem to want to give at lower loads. It will still push your average cedar tree down without much issue but I'm worried that there may be a larger issue here. There has also been a clogged trans filter aler being sounded until the dozer warms up in about 15-20 mins. Any ideas what could be going on?
The filter alarm sounding is fairly routine on those dozers until they warm up and is a good argument for warming the machine up properly before putting it in service,the inching pedal problem sets a flag in my mind as something that should be stored there but cannot remember what it was.I worked for an excavation company for 5 years or so that had two 650gs and they were not alike in many respects having been built in different years I imagine but I was warned about using the inching pedal on one of them but cannot remember why.I am sure that somebody here can enlighten us both.Ron G
Thank you. I would really like to hear more about the inching pedal if anyone knows what Ron is talking abo
I had a 94 650g and my main hydraulic bump (under the floor ??) had a filter screen that was fouled with little chunks of rubber??. We cleaned and reinstalled and a little while later the dozer had very little pushing power in 2 and we had to install a new pump. Not sure if this is your situation. Good luck.
Do you have the manual? I don't know that transmission, but I'd guess the book shows all the pressure tests you need to do to determine what's going on.
I've got the parts book and the operators manual but not the test and repair manual. I may have to go get it. What exactly would the test indicate? I realize it can indicate trans pump function but does it tell how the transmission is functioning and/or clutches are doing?