Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 650G Transmission issues

andrewmanasco12 · 2025-01-27 22:06

I’m having issues with my trans on my dozer. Early 90’s JD 650G with around 8500hrs. I have been operating it fine and a few times the trans wouldn’t go into gear. Didn’t have this issue when I bought it. I went to run it again and now it won’t move at all. I changed trans fluid, filter, and checked the screen and still nothing. It doesn’t seem to be getting pressure at all from what I can tell. I cracked the filter open and no fluid is coming out. Idk if it’s a bad pump or something else?!

Replies7
  1. #1mg23612025-01-28 04:59

    Welcome to HEF Andrew ! Machine serial number? Do the hydraulics work?

  2. #2andrewmanasco122025-01-28 12:24

    The hydraulics works….i’ll have to get back on the serial number.

  3. #3JBrady2025-01-30 12:11

    Do the brake pedals rise the 3" or so when you release the park brake? Here is a similar thread: HeavyEquipmentForums

  4. #4andrewmanasco122025-01-30 13:25

    No, they don’t. My park brake wasn’t even connected when I took the cover off. And the sensor is just hanging.

  5. #5mg23612025-01-31 05:01

    Direct drive machine or a torque converter machine? This is where a serial helps because either of those is split again by serial.

  6. #6andrewmanasco122025-01-31 09:18

    It’s a direct drive machine

  7. #7mg23612025-01-31 12:15

    Depending on your serial number, there were pumps on the direct drive machines with a seal issue that would let the oil drain back and the pump to lose its prime. Or, you could have a different failure within the pump if no oil is coming out of the filter.