Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 650H moving slowly

Ron4108 · 2019-08-11 10:28

New member and my first posting here. I recently purchased a 2000 model John Deere 650H with a cab, when I bought it the seller mentioned it had a small fuel leak. Well it turned out the leak was a cracked weld on the tank. I removed the cab and had the tank repaired then reinstalled the cab. Now for the problem, The dozer will not move any faster than a walk. It tracks straight and shifts , engine speed is normal as it was before. No codes on transmission control, it shows RUN . Could this be a speed sensor problem? Thanks, Ronnie

Replies12
  1. #1mg23612019-08-13 04:41

    Welcome to HEF Ron ! First we need to know the serial number and if your unit has the speed in grip or a speed lever. If you have no codes then it might just be a controller setting, which is why a serial number is needed, to access the correct information.

  2. #2Ron41082019-08-13 07:26

    Last of the serial number is 890637, if you need the complete number I’ll get it. This has a throttle lever on left side behind the joystick controller. Thanks, Ronnie

  3. #3Vetech632019-08-13 07:34

    Get the letter before the 8. Sometimes that is needed.

  4. #4Ron41082019-08-13 07:57

    HX890637 Ronnie

  5. #5mg23612019-08-14 04:18

    Your serial number tells me you have a speed in grip. Did you get an operator's manual with the machine? On the left pilot controller there should be a button that can be pressed up and down. Try pressing up while traveling. Does it go faster? When pressing the up button you should see numbers in the monitor change from about 1.6 all the way up to 3.0. Does that happen?

  6. #6Ron41082019-08-14 06:54

    Yes it has the speed in grip. Yes the numbers go up to 3.0, the machine will go a little faster when in 3.0, about as fast as I can walk. I did not get an owner manual when I bought it, but ordered a new one from John Deere and have it on hand. Ronnie

  7. #7mg23612019-08-15 05:12

    Try this. Remove the cover from the transmission controller. With the key on press menu until "RATE" appears in the window. Press select. You should see "decl" in the window, press next until you see "HiSP". Press select. Then press next until "HIGH" appears, then press select. After that press menu. Then try your machine to see if it will move faster.

  8. #8Ron41082019-08-15 07:13

    Thank you, I will try that this morning and let you know if it works. Ronnie

  9. #9Ron41082019-08-15 13:18

    Tried that and it is still the same. Ronnie

  10. #10mg23612019-08-16 04:22

    You mentioned you had the cab off. Did the machine move normal speed before the cab removal? Otherwise, my next suggestion would be to have the transmission calibration procedure done. If you do not have the Operation and Test manual (TM 1743) then you either need to acquire one or have your dealer do it.

  11. #11Ron41082019-08-16 08:04

    Thanks, yes everything worked fine before I removed the cab. I do have that manual and will see if that’s something I want to try or have the dealer perform. Ronnie

  12. #12mestizo2019-08-21 08:45

    Beware if you’re going to calibrate the machine and you don’t know whats wrong, if the machine fails calibration it won’t move until you fix whatever is causing the issue. So calibrate it somewhere out of the way. Might help to check charge and brake pressure and do a PCP test first, instructions are in the op and test manual