Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 690C Losing power and dying out

Westinar93 · 2023-12-18 17:55

I have a 1986 Deere 690C and I've been having problems with it dying out while operating it. It seems like certain functions (curl out and stick out) really work the engine hard and that is when it dies. After it dies, I can prime the fuel system and it will idle fine but I cannot put any load on it or it will die again. If it sits for a few hours, it will run fine again for about a half hour or so and then die out. I have ruled out fuel issues as I have replaced the fuel tank, rubber lines from the tank, the lift pump, and I also had the injection pump rebuilt and injectors replaced. We also had the turbo checked out. This has led me to believe that it is a hydraulic issue. Where do I start? If I deadhead any of the functions (bottom out the cylinder) it will almost kill the engine every time if I'm not careful. Is this normal? Do I have a pressure relief problem? Any help would be appreciated! S/N DW690CAS09366

Replies14
  1. #1Diesel Dave2023-12-18 21:09

    Do you have much black exhaust smoke as the engine labors and is dying ?

  2. #2Westinar932023-12-18 21:25

    I haven’t noticed much black smoke when it happens but I haven’t been paying attention to that. I’ll have to check next time I try to run it.

  3. #3Westinar932023-12-19 13:27

    Today I started it up and tried to pay attention to the smoke. I took a video of it but not sure if I can post that here. With the boom in the air and only curling the bucket out, the engine labored very hard and smoked a little more and then started sputtering like it was about to die. It wasn’t thick black smoke. Curling the bucket in doesn’t labor the engine. Same with stick out/in. Out labors, in doesn’t labor.

  4. #4Diesel Dave2023-12-19 14:48

    Post the video to youtube and then post the youtube link here.

  5. #5Westinar932023-12-19 15:08
  6. #6Diesel Dave2023-12-19 15:32

    At the very end of the video , did you pull the injection pump shut off cable or was the engine dying by itself ?

  7. #7Westinar932023-12-19 15:37

    It was dying on its own

  8. #8ROAMER_AUS2023-12-19 17:26

    You said it your self. Engine labours only on out movement. So it can't be the engine!!! Hydraulics are ovepowering it somehow. You need to figure out what is pump doing different on out movement. Maybe post hydraulic schematic here so we can try to figure it out?

  9. #9Westinar932023-12-19 21:56
  10. #10ROAMER_AUS2023-12-20 02:39

    Well thet is pretty much straight forward. Only thing I'm not sure is how those flow dividers work, never came across them. Is your pump gear pump? Do you have hose burst protection on cylinders? What happens when you close the bucket to the limit and keep command forced?

  11. #11Westinar932023-12-20 07:51

    If you bottom out any function it will kill the engine. It has always been that way since I bought it about a year ago. Not sure on hose burst protection.

  12. #12Vetech632023-12-20 08:22

    That could be a fueling problem. You need to do a stall test on the engine to see if it is capable of carrying pump load.

  13. #13ROAMER_AUS2023-12-20 12:09

    Well, that is different problem then. In that case it might be the engine. If your pressure is set properly and it kills the engine on bottoming out then your engine doesn't have enough power. As stated above, fueling is your first point to check.

  14. #14Westinar932023-12-20 19:50