Im going to go look at an 1980s JD 690D excavator next week , it will be for personal use...just wondering how this machine is over all and if it had any inherent problems from new..thank you for any info any one can supply...
As a retired JD mechanic of 25yrs we looked at the 690D as job security. It would take a good tech to keep it running.Deere finally teamed up with Hitachi to make their excavators and that was a very good thing.See if you can find a 590D or 790D as they were bullet proof .The 690D had german hydraulics (Linde) and we replaced the pumps like oil filters.
I second what joeblow says. I've got a 1987 Deere 690. Worst machine I've ever owned and don't get me started on parts JD can't get nothing for me and we'll saying that my dealer is way below my standards is a under statement, I also own komatsu bobcat and case equipment no complaint on any of them 3 sure I've got my favorite but all 3 are good at what they do. My deere is slow, unstable and just plain annoying to run. These are just my opinions tho. But if your in the market for a 690d after I finish up the job I'm on I'd sell mine.
Thank you both for that info!!!!, I will steer clear of that model... and keep an eye open for the ones you recommend.....