Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 690ELC issues

Ford tractor · 2018-12-03 12:59

New to the forum. Borrowed a friends John Deere 690ELC for some farm work. Started it up for the first time when it was around 28 degrees. Slow to start but started and I let it idle for about 10 minutes. Drove it to a dead tree I wanted to push over. Everything was running fine. I had put it in E mode for this job. After dropping the tree, I noticed the engine idled down but then back up by its self. It did this another time before thumping to a stop. When I tried to restart it, it just made a grinding noise. I have tried charging the batteries up and still the same thing. I also jumped the starter and found it doesn’t seem to turn the motor. Kind of a grindy sound to it. When I turn the key to the “on” position, something activates Some kind of pump that sounds like it’s running rough. The starter it’s self wont engage with the key. Is there a switch or something possibly on or where should I look into so I can start this thing. Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1Dave Neubert2018-12-03 19:58

    sounds like the starter stayed engaged pull starter it is probably toast

  2. #2backhoe12018-12-03 21:40

    I had a 690ELC, went through a starter every year... Several times it stayed engaged and totally destroyed it

  3. #3Ford tractor2018-12-03 23:42

    I was kind of thinking the same. Any reason there is a loud humming/grinding sound when I turn the key to on though?

  4. #4Shimmy12018-12-03 23:53

    Starter is stuck engaged. When you turn the key on, it switches the battery disconnect on, which in turn powers the starter. Remove the + battery cable from starter and see if noise stops.

  5. #5Ford tractor2018-12-04 00:55

    Great info, thanks! Is there any fuel shut off valve on the 690sby chance?

  6. #6thepumpguysc2018-12-04 06:11

    Yes.. if u have the Stanadyne inj pump.. theres an electric solenoid that shuts the fuel off.. Its on/in the TOP COVER.. 2 studs + & -..12v The - is usually grounded thru the pump body so all you have to do is run 12v to the other stud.. You'll HEAR it click..