Drove my Deere 700H up to my shop to do some under carriage repairs and now tractor will start up and runs fine but will not go in forward or reverse. It has the deluxe seat so there are no safety switches under the seat or on the seat belt. Have checked the park brake safety switch and it appears to be operating correctly. The transmission speed display just flat lines on the display and the speed selector switch seems to make no difference when pushed up or down. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Were you welding on it by chance?
Yes, we were welding and cutting on the blade c-frame pins and bushings.
Most electrical circuits are protected from internally displaced overvoltage and overcurrent but not from external ones
John Deere 700H I have checked all the fuses in the fuse box and they appear to be o'k, unless there's a relay that fried , all the wiring is still intact. There's one fuse for the transmission controller and it to was not burned.
Hard to tell you what's fried but you do realize that you were applying 10x the amperage that the circuit was intended for... and going thru the ground side which is usually un-fused. Time to look for fault codes and maybe call a dealer service tech.
On the computer model display, the green light is lit {the operators manual says this means go** and there is no three digit fault code displayed. Yes, I think I might have to call the local dealer but Am just grasping for any info before I take that financial plunge. I would like to think It's something simple {wishful thinking** but just figuring out what it is , is the problem. Thanks for advise.
could be computer, we always disconnected battery when we welded, thanks
If your lucky you just fried the speed sensors, but the computer should be throwing a fault code if that was the case.
Finally went to the John Deere dealer and they said with the green light still on, sounds like machine controller needs to be recalibrated. They gave me step by step process directions and I couldn't even get started because no display would even come up on the screen. Tech said that they will try starting with a new computer module.when they arrive. Will keep everyone informed, Thanks
John Deere 700H Well the experts just left and after replacing the transmission control microprocessor and recalibrating the machine, it works fine. No one can say exactly what happened, but with no display on the module since Iv'e owned it , the module was probably on it's way out after twelve years and the welding just finished it off. So yes, lesson to be remembered, always undo the battery cables when welding on the machine. Thanks for the input from everyone!
Glad to hear its runnin again!
Yair . . . Interesting how perceptions change. I cannot imagine welding on a machine without disconnecting batteries, we used to do that even in the pre alternator days. A friend of mine was surprised the other day when I insisted we unhook hook his trailer, safety chains and electrical connection before welding a cracked tailgate. He couldn't see how current could get forward to the Landrover . . . I couldn't either but it's just a habit I guess. Cheers.