Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 710d backhoe swing cylinder resealing

TRADITIONAL · 2023-03-13 08:39

I have a 2000 JD 710d backhoe that needs seals . Can this be done in frame? I started but the cylinder won’t move over to allow the rod assembly to pull out. I was thinking maybe to disconnect both rod ends at the boom to allow both cylinders to move in unison? Or is this a waste of time? I started attempting to remove the upper pivot assembly but that’s ugly the bolts are very tight and no room for air power. Second all the hoses have to be disconnected just to gain access!!! Will the piston release with just the bottom pivot removed? Obviously removing the entire cylinder is best but what a job any suggestions??

Replies5
  1. #1mg23612023-03-13 12:13

    That's what needs to be done.

  2. #2TRADITIONAL2023-03-13 12:30

    Thanks you think that will do it? By the way I had a tough time pulling the pins in the boom I welded a nut on underneath and used a slide hammer. JD says they drop out maybe 20 years ago.

  3. #3Delmer2023-03-13 12:47

    I did a 610C and moved the boom to one side to get more room to break the gland loose, and there was plenty of room to get the rod and piston out then. need to loosen the hoses to let air in so it's not all easy, but easier than those trunnion caps. My pins dropped right out, or maybe needed the pressure taken off to drop, sure didn't have to pull anything, but then it's hard to get lined up with a tight trench too.

  4. #4TRADITIONAL2023-03-13 13:02

    I realized I had the boom in the air that did bind it up a little. I’ll try pulling the other side and see if it drops out , there actually is a way to push from the top but the hoses are completely in the way and it’s a real offset. I’ll report how it goes doing this in frame. I’m sure plenty of people have sold there machines after attempting to reseal the swing cylinders. It’s worth noting machine designs are very different for years and sizes and what works on a 310 may not on a 710d

  5. #5TRADITIONAL2023-03-13 13:05

    I think the manufacturer found out you could actually work on it so they changed it to be sure it was impossible in newer models.