I just recently purchased a JD 710D.. Can anyone tell me what weight oil goes in the hydraulic system and also the transmission on my 1997 710D backhoe?
That machine originally came with Hy-gard in the transmission and the hydraulics. That oil is a multi-grade oil. It is somewhere between a 46 and a 68 oil. Just use Hy-gard from your local Deere dealer so you only have to get one oil. If you are looking to use an oil other than Deere's, then that oil needs to meet Deere's JDM J20C or JDM J20D specifications.
Thank you very much.. I'd heard 10wt for the powershift transmission however that didn't sound right so certainly glad I asked first.. I've a CAT (446D) same size machine, same HP however I already like this Deere a lot better.. I've got a few leaking cylinders that've got to be repaired, other than that it's a beast!
I'd use the JD oil for the transmission but an aftermarket meeting the specs. for the hyd's. to save some money. It's generally more common to have add to the hyd. oil than the transmission oil because of cylinder leaks or replacing hoses.