Local guy has a JD 750 dozer for sale that is one of the older models, all yellow - no grey on it. Has a cab. I have not gone to look at it yet but I am looking for a dozer to do some work on my 55 acres of reclaimed strip mine land. Need to build roads, repair eroded areas, push soil over acidic areas after liming. Might build a pond or two with it, push out some brush areas, level and smooth fields, push bigger boulders up in a pile to clear fields of rock - that kind of work. Richie specs showed these tractors had about a 140HP engine which should do what I want. Anybody have experience with these older 750 machines? Any particular problems I need to be aware of when looking at this machine?
Here is a picture for identification purposes.
I have run them before but only for a short time and the one thing that I did not care for was the foot steering and only because I am old fashioned and am not used to it.I feel the same about all foot steer dozers that I have to use.I don't see many of these on the market which tells me that their current owners like them and I don't hear anything bad about them.As with most John Deere equipment I would expect them to be good machines.Ron G
Good machines in their day, well liked. One caveat though, the drives are hydrostatic and are reliable, but when they DO require repair, they are not cheap and they're not like working on an old CAT powershift. YMMV
As an operator they are fine machines, but I don't have enough experience with them to comment on anything else.
It looks to me like an LGP, and somebody chopped the pads off on one side. I don't think that unnecessary twisting will help the UC life any. Greyson
That is unusual. I searched photos of JD 750 and did not find a single one with the bolts on the pads offset to the outside like that. Very unusual, not sure why somebody would go to that trouble. Anybody have any ideas on that?
First guess is that outside frame blade got loose and it was cheaper to trim the pads than fix the blade properly, lol.
Yeah lantraxco , One of my customers had a JD 755 high lift . They liked it for the most part & done allot of work with it . What ended it was when the hydrostat went out and was going to be expensive to repair . It used Sundstrand hydrostat units . http://www.sundstrand-hydraulics.com/ Wonder if the JD 750 dozer is the same ? Long story short my customer sold the 755 to a parts yard and bought a used Cat 953 to replace it .