Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

john deere 772A

dstevenson ยท 2018-06-16 22:40

the grader pops out when in reverse and the forward reverse lever doesn't move very far so hard to tell if it even goes into gear. just bought the grader and not sure what to look for or if the lever doesn't move very much on all of them. thanks

Replies4
  1. #1Delmer2018-06-16 23:41

    It's not "popping out of gear" in the transmission, so I'd look over the linkage real well before tearing into the valve body on the transmission.

  2. #2rsherril2018-06-17 22:31

    I'm speaking from my experience with the 570A. The cab controls connect to the transmission with cables. There are adjusting mechanisims on both ends. The direction control lever uses a ten foot cable with one inch of "throw". This cable essentially wore out even though I did manage to soak it in a bath of antifreeze in a one inch PVC tube and make it last a couple of more years. After pricing a replacement around two hundred bucks, and being told it might take awhile, I had a after market one made up for under one hundred bucks. Long story short, it didn't work as the length was about one inch too long. Mean while the factory one I ordered arrives. That one worked and I decided to keep the after market one for the speed selection control if I should ever need one there. So start with the adjustments on both ends, making sure the sheath clamp is tight and hasen't slipped. Take your time and BE SURE to shut the machine off when crawling underneath to check or adjust the transmission side. A quarter inch may be all you need to correct the situation.

  3. #3rsherril2018-06-18 20:08

    BTW I could have saved myself some time by just installing the new factory cable to begin with, but would have missed out on the educational experience.

  4. #4sepulchral2025-04-30 22:37

    just purchased a 772a without reverse in any gear. does anyone have anything related to the shift linkage i can look into? diagrams etc