Looking for assistance on diagnosing/fixing the throttle control. It will not adjust by the dial, only manually by turns the step motor by hand. Background: the ex is located in SE Alaska and rusted to high heavens. Machine started having electrical issues. I found a “rats nest” of fused wires behind the batteries, below the radiator. I rewired and reconnected everything a new harness doesn’t seem like an option with all the rusted bolts everything works great except for the throttle control now. We’ve even tried a new motor. Question: Is there a “learning” process for the step motor? I did put a meter on the control knob and I am getting the correct voltage.
That was on fire! lol
Welcome to HEF Scotte17 ! The cable between the stepper motor and the injection pump OK? Press and hold the set button, then start the machine. After bulb check, release the set button. Use the Display button to scroll until you see a number 8 on the left side. Report back if any number other than "zero" is displayed. If another number is in the display while in #8, it might scroll through other numbers automatically at one second intervals. Then scroll to 15 on the left side of the hourmeter screen. What voltage do you see on the right at idle setting and full throttle setting? Then use the select button to go to 16 on the left side of the screen. Repeat the process and report back. #8 is diagnostic codes #15 is the EC angle (feedback from the stepper motor) #16 is the dial voltage. We want to make sure the voltage is making it back to the controller. To perform and engine learn, dial at idle position, move the learn switch until it aligns with the "E" on the plate, key on, wait 10 seconds, then key off. Move learn switch back to its original position. Note: if the dial voltages are not correct, it will not learn.
Thank you. We will try.
Did you see my pic of that “welded” rats nest? How long would you say that it’s been an issue with wear? I’m trying to get an idea of how long this might have been an issue.
Yes, I looked at it. And yes, that could still be an issue with your machine since the EC motor wiring runs through there. The items I want you to check are to confirm if there is a valid command and feedback on the system (hopefully ).
That damage looks to be years old but hard to judge, not knowing how clean and what services have been provided.