Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 80C Thumb Install

Trout Creek · 2024-01-28 17:33

Hello, I am working on installing a progressive link thumb on a 2006 John Deere 80c. I need some help with the hydraulics. I will be using a 2-button Sure Grip control to activate a solenoid acting as a pilot control. I then need to connect things up to the hydraulic manifold. This is where I am getting stuck. My JD Contact has been unable to provide me with any documentation as of yet. Does someone out there have some experience here? Same as Hitachi ZX80. If someone has some documentation, that would be perfect. Thank you

Replies13
  1. #1Diesel Dave2024-01-29 15:28

    Not sure if you got any info from your Deere contact today. The pilot side seems pretty straight forward. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/67704/referrer/search/pgId/740039428 . .

  2. #2Diesel Dave2024-01-29 17:17

    Thumb installs it’s always a good idea to install a circuit releif valve especially in the thumb cylinder extend section of the main control valve. Set the releif low enough that the thumb cylinder will collapse when the bucket forces against the thumb tines. Circuit releif valve part # 4394262

  3. #3Trout Creek2024-01-29 20:54

    Thank you both. I have that diagram. I also already ordered up two relief valves. The Deere folks can not even provide the install instructions for a kit they sell. Not sure why it’s unavailable, but alas.

  4. #4Trout Creek2025-07-20 11:32

    I have finally installed the thumb. I still need to test the pressure relief setting on the thumb cylinder. I have been shooting video all through the install process and hope to post a video on YouTube soon. I have included part numbers and sizes as I had them available. Stay tuned.

  5. #5earthscratcher2025-07-26 16:54

    let us know when video is up, want to do this on a 135c. thanks

  6. #6Trout Creek2025-08-04 13:32

    Video done and uploaded to YouTube. It's not my best effort, but if you are tackling this kind of a project, it should make sense.

  7. #7mg23612025-08-05 05:35

    In the video you mentioned the kit is for an 85G. There are instructions available for that 85G kit.

  8. #8Trout Creek2025-08-05 07:16

    If there are installation instructions available, they are most certainly not available on the John Deere website as noted on the packaging. I purchased the kit from a JD Dealer in Tennessee and they did not have them or were not able to find them. I also checked with my local JD dealer here in the PNW and they too were unable to find them. So if instructions do still exist at a JD dealer and you have access to them, you are a much better resource that the two dealers I worked with. I chalked it up to the fact that the 85G was already out of production and JD had moved on to only truly supporting the new Midi model machines.

  9. #9mg23612025-08-05 11:49

    Check your messages. I sent you the 85G instructions to indicate they are available this morning.

  10. #10Trout Creek2025-08-05 12:23

    Well those would have been super helpful before I started. Thank you. Not sure why the other two dealers could not find them.

  11. #11earthscratcher2025-08-12 10:38

    where do I get the 85g instructions from thanks

  12. #12Diesel Dave2025-08-12 11:16

    @earthscratcher your 135C has a pilot signal manifold , you may be better off asking for installation instructions for 135D/135G 2 way kit # AT342526 . Also check with Deere see if kit # AT342526 is still available. Those instructions along with @Trout Creek video you would figure it out.

  13. #13mg23612025-08-12 11:59

    @earthscratcher Check your messages.