Has anybody used the Johnson machine receiver? I am needing a receiver for a d6r that I can see from the cab. I do some pads and mainly ponds that are through nrcs and they usually want the top level of the dam to a specific height and I thought that would save me some time instead of having to check it by hand all the time.
Spend the extra $200 and get a Spectra. http://www.tigersupplies.com/Products/Spectra-Laser-LR30-Receiver__TRILR30.aspx If you want rechargeable batteries, it will cost a bit more. I would not personally trust anything that didn't say Spectra, Topcon, Leica, or Bullseye. JMO.
I use the Spectra CR600 its relatively inexpensive and does work well either stuck to the blade or you can fab up a metal post. It has the wide pickup as well. It does not have the 360* pickup but I set my transmitter to work with it.