I have a 2003 Caterpillar model 242. Serial number CMB01551 with a non turbo perkins motor, single speed, single flow. I recently purchased the machine and it is my first skid steer. I some service manuals and have been having fun tinkering on it. This past weekend I purchased a Paladin GSS72 ground shark mower. I got it hooked up and then realized I don't know how to actuate the hydraulics to get the mower to operate. I searched the manuals I have and the internet for instructions but could only find operational instructions on the newer model machines. Does anyone know the step-by-step procedure I need to perform to get the hydraulics to actuate? Does anyone know if there is a specific operator manual, I could get for this machine to explain how to make the controls work? Thank you for your help. I have read numerous posts on this site and it has been an invaluable resource. When I first purchased the machine is ran rough. I found the great thread about cleaning the water / fuel separator. I was able to clean the top of the water / fuel separator and that vastly improved the performance of the machine.
You can download a genuine Cat Operation & Maintenance Manual. This will give you all the necessary info regarding the controls and a lot more besides. Go to - https://catpublications.com/ When the popup appears, click on "Continue as Guest" Type SEBU7468 in the box and click Search. The illustration below should appear. A download will be available within 5 minutes or so of paying for it. Buying a CD or a paper version will result in S&H charges on top of the posted prices.
Nige, thank you very much for your reply. I have that manual and have read it. The manual has great diagrams and descriptions but I failed to find information on what buttons need to be pressed and in what order to activate the work tool hydraulics to run the mower.
IIRC to activate the Auxiliary hydraulics requires the roiler switch to be held in the forward or reverse position for something like 2 seconds. If that is not correct I'm sure someone will come up with the right information.
Does your mower attachment and machine have an electrical plug? If so read through the "Operator Controls" section of that manual. The two auxiliary lines on the boom are controlled by the buttons or thumbwheel on the RHS joystick. There should be buttons or thumbwheel on the LHS joystick also. These control the electrical connections in that plug.
Do you have a thumb roller control on the RH joystick that rolls forward/back, or is your control a type of rocker switch that you can press either the right or left side of it and it returns to the centre position when you let go.?
Mine is more like the example in the left picture. I do not have a thumb roller. I think I have located the source of my problem. I believe I have a bad relay. The left button on the right joystick will activate the hydraulics on the work tool but only keeps the work tool running when the button is depressed. The right button on the left joystick initially activated the work tool on a constant basis and then it stopped working and I have not been able to get the button to function again. I have been doing research about what button does what on the machine. In addition, while looking for information in the paper copy of the Operation and Maintenance Manual I purchased from Caterpillar I found several pages in the manual for a different machine. I am in the process of communicating with Caterpillar to try and get a manual with the proper information in it for my machine. I will be testing and replacing the relay I believe is at fault and then reporting back here as soon as possible.
Chrisso, no electrical connection on this mower just the two hydraulic line from the work tool attachment to the hydraulic motor. Thank you for the input, that is a good thought. I have been able to get the work tool to function on a limited basis since my first post. I think I have a bad relay. I am working through that issue now.
Nige, I have the style on the right. I thought I had the problem sorted but then the joy stick toggle button began to fail. Now it has stopped working all together. I took it apart and it has a circuit board inside. So I put it back together and took it to my local Caterpillar parts counter. I was told the part is no longer available. They replaced it with a part # 218-6118, so I purchased that and a corresponding harness to make my old plug fit the new joystick. I installed the new joystick and the new harness. The new joystick does not work. I am not sure if maybe the 218-6118 is pinned differently for different machines of if the harness I purchased, harness assembly part # 242-8277, is possibly pinned different. I have the parts manuals and the operation and maintenance manual but I don't see any electrical schematics in those. I may be looking in the manuals in the wrong place but I was hoping you could make suggestions. I did notice when I was at the Caterpillar dealer the parts guy had both the joysticks shown above. Do you know if the roller style joystick would work on my machine even if it didn't come with it from the factory? Thanks for your time.
i can send you an electrical schenmatic. Check your message inbox. That will enable you to check that the replacement handle is wired correctly (the output of the two buttons should be on Pins 1/2 & 3/4), and also check the 242-8277 jumper harness which is effectively to connect a 12-pin connector to the original 6-pin one on the machine wiring harness. I think it would work but would require a couple of parameters in the AUX ECM to be changed in order to accept the different type of signal input that comes from the thumb roller switch compared to the two existing push buttons.
Thank you so much. I will start with checking the pin placement and then go from there. I noticed the joystick handle with the roller cost less, that is why I asked.