Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jump starters

Welder Dave · 2022-04-11 15:25

I decided it was time to get a lithium iron jump starter. It's a pain using booster cables all the time. I ordered one from Zenonpro. They had good reviews and a lifetime warranty. It is 1500 amp with 600 cranking amps and 25,000 mah. Wondering what experiences others have had with the compact jump starters?

Replies27
  1. #1Truck Shop2022-04-11 15:42

    The shop has the same brand-done the job every time needed.

  2. #2Vetech632022-04-11 16:17

    I have TWO sets of jumper cables on the truck!

  3. #3Truck Shop2022-04-11 20:05

    Where they come in handy in my situation is starting a refer unit.

  4. #4Welder Dave2022-04-11 20:19

    That's great to hear the Zenonpro work good. I got the most powerful one they make. I thought about getting the air compressor for an extra $10 but have a 12 volt compressor already. Would be nice to have a 3000 or more amps unit but just too much of a hit on my budget. I always seem to be boosting something like the welder or the skid steer sometimes etc. Could have used one this past winter as we had one of the coldest in history with the most days -40 or colder. Really like how compact and light the lithium boosters are.

  5. #5muddog19752022-04-11 20:50

    I got this 2 Christmas ago...It stays in the service truck, I use it every week. Really handy.

  6. #61693TA2022-04-11 21:05

    I have two JNC 770 series and they work very well. I keep one in the truck, and one in the car. Good long cables and plenty of power to start 12VDC cars, mowers etc. Not large enough for semi trucks but I use heavy booster cables for that task.

  7. #7Tinkerer2022-04-12 07:44

    What is the lifespan of the lithium-ion batteries in them ?

  8. #8muddog19752022-04-12 10:53

    Not sure...but I've had mine for about a year and 4 months, with no issues

  9. #9Welder Dave2022-04-12 14:09

    Apparently the mAh rating is an indication of how long the battery lasts. I got the standard 25,000 mAh battery which appears to be a fairly high rating compared to some other brands. Optional 27,500 and 30,000 mAh batteries were available for $9.95 and $14.95. The specs. for the unit say it's good for 1500 cycles. When I ordered it there was an additional 10% taken off. It was about $152 US which worked out to around $200 Cad. Glad to see it was shipped by Canada Post. Hopefully no brokerage or duty fee's. It should come in handy and only weighs 1.1lbs. I have a battery charger with a booster but I think I fried it last year. Using booster cables and having to drive a vehicle close enough can be a PIA. With this jump starter I can go to any piece of equipment in the shop and don't have to make room or need 40ft. long booster cables. JS1005 - 25,000 mAh, 1500A, 12V, Portable Jump Starter & Battery Pack - Up to 8.0L Gas Engine - Free Shipping & Lifetime Warranty - XenonPro.com

  10. #10Welder Dave2022-04-12 14:26

    Your booster uses a different type of battery.

  11. #11Acoals2022-04-12 19:40

    I like the fact that this one plugs straight to 110v power. I hate having to mess with the DC adapters.

  12. #12muddog19752022-04-12 19:57

    I know that it's been good to me.....and works every time...lol....

  13. #13muddog19752022-04-12 19:58

    Yep plug it up every Saturday night and Monday it's ready to go!

  14. #14Shimmy12022-04-12 20:14

    I know this is not necessarily what you were looking for, but this bugger will start any 14-16L truck engine with NO batteries. https://www.cpooutlets.com/goodall-...dbabe11ec821300010a82b824&cjdata=MXxOfDB8WXww

  15. #15Steve Favia2022-04-12 21:02

    I’ve got the same one probably 8 or 10 years old still going strong,love it.

  16. #16Tyler d4c2022-04-12 21:11

    I have 2 group 31s on a 10 dollar furniture card with 4/0 cables with clamps tis a bit heavy I've put it in the pick up myself before. I have back surgery for 10 days after my 31 birthday on the calendar.......

  17. #171693TA2022-04-13 07:28

    I used a modified industrial scrap tub chassis at the shop for many years having two group 31 threaded post batteries laced together with 250MCM welding cable and 2/0 output cables for boosting. The insulated connectors would easily fit 4/0 cables, (and I have them) but I found those far too heavy for one guy to tug out with any length, (mine are 50'). It used a 12VDC reversing gear motor, #50 chain, and sprockets to drive the thing and it worked well including traversing a gravel parking lot to jump start dead vehicles. I never needed a third battery but wasn't starting class 8 trucks constantly. The little jumper boxes are so much easier.....

  18. #18Welder Dave2022-04-13 15:53

    That's a beast I'd love to have. Could use it for jumping the dump truck or grader if needed. Not a bad price in comparison. I saw a 6250 amp Noco for $2499.00! I just wanted something nice, compact and not too pricey I could easily carry around. I'm so weak now that a 6 pack of Coke bottles feels heavy to me. I also like that the lithium packs hold a charge for a long time. If I have all my machines parked in the shop and 1 needs a boost, I can easily hook up the small booster. I have a couple 2.5L diesels and the Cat is 5.2L (3204) but also has an 8D battery so it rarely needs a boost. The welder is about a 2.6L gas. I don't know how the battery in the welder faired over the winter but last year I had to boost it but if it ran for more than 1/2 an hour it would start back up if I shut it off. Could have definitely used a booster this past winter. Had to have AMA come out to boost both vehicles in the -40 temps. They were plugged in and warm but batteries weren't enough to turn them over. We have a membership but had to wait a couple days because they were so busy. The guy said any vehicle made after about 2007 should have a trickle charger on it in the winter because all the computers have a lot more parasitic draw.

  19. #19ianjoub2022-04-13 16:01

    I have this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0836GL9VY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

  20. #20Welder Dave2022-04-13 16:35

    There is a zillion different brands of them out there. Wish there were more available that were sold in Canada. Noco is common but they are pricier and watching some video's don't turn the engine over as fast. Hopefully the Zenonpro I ordered works good. Truck Shops post is encouraging and I'm sure he'd tell me if it was a pile of garbage.

  21. #21Shimmy12022-04-13 17:47

    Does it do OK on an engine that has to crank a bit? A lot of these booster packs spin the engine good for about 3 seconds and then they're falling on their face.

  22. #22ianjoub2022-04-13 18:18

    I bought it and gave a full charge a month ago. So far I have started an old lawn mower (18 hp Kohler) and cycled a dump trailer up and down once, says 96% charge still.

  23. #23Tyler d4c2022-04-13 19:59

    I'm sure they are but my get up cost less then 50 bucks so I can't complain

  24. #24Welder Dave2022-04-19 18:57

    Received my jump starter today. So much for the 2 day shipping. Week and a half is more accurate. I did get a couple bonus's though. It came with the upgraded battery (30,000 mAh) that is a $14.95 option and the air compressor that is a $9.95 option. $25 extra's for no cost is always welcome. It also has a really nice case. Hopefully it works as expected. I will give an update once I try it on the welder or something.

  25. #25suladas2022-04-19 19:17

    I have a NOCO 2000 amp and it's sure come in handy it will start my 6 ton mini ex like nothing, it did probably 10 starts on one charge when I had a bad battery. I tried it on my 3406B and it wasn't as powerful as heavy booster cables to my pickup though.

  26. #26Welder Dave2022-04-19 19:24

    I hope it works good. I looked at Noco's but they are pricey. The lithium jumpers are nice because they are so light and hold a charge for a long time. Dozens of different brands.

  27. #27JLarson2022-04-21 12:09

    We use the NOCO's. I keep the HD one in the truck all the time ready to go. Only time I go for cables or a bigger pack is like a c9 or larger.