Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jumping in blind. Questions about HET in western canada.

Jake The Snake · 2024-06-05 20:08

Hello folks, i'm an AME working on helicopters in BC right now and I really don't think this industry is right for me as a long term career. Looking to switch over to the heavy equipment(Off road for sure, maybe mining or forestry) side of mechanics and honestly I dont really know where to start. I'm willing to relocate, i'm competent, a decent problem solver and i've been fixing everything from lawnmowers and sleds to 12 ton excavators and helicopters since i was old enough to wipe my own ass so im not particularly worried about actually finding a job. I even know what end of the ratchet to hold XD. The problem really is just that i'm looking for a decent company with a fair wage to work for and its hard to get an idea of company reputation when you're not in the industry. I also do not want to have to do the full 4 year apprenticeship but it's hard to find actually good info on how to go about getting my red seal without jumping through all the damn hoops. If anyones got any recommendations on where to start or helpful advice for starting out that would be a big help, thanks.

Replies13
  1. #1MarcusZ19672024-06-05 20:23

    Welcome to HEF Jake from somewhere in Missouri!! There is a big pipeline going in Alaska I hear.

  2. #2stinky642024-06-06 09:49

    First step would probably be to change your "handle", don't want any feller on my crew calls himself Jake the Snake. Just sayin'

  3. #3MarcusZ19672024-06-06 10:12

    I wouldn't have any problem.... What if Jake's last name is "Mosovich"?

  4. #4Jake The Snake2024-06-06 10:39

    My secret identity has been revealed, kidding, its a nickname from when i was a kid. And thats rich coming from a guy called stinky.

  5. #5MarcusZ19672024-06-06 13:30

    LMAO!!!! Ringo reference.

  6. #6Coaldust2024-06-06 15:57

    Welcome to the HEF Mr. Snake. Cross the boarder and get some of that sweet Alaska oil boom chedda. Knowwhatimsayin? Gonna make the Alberta tar sands look like child’s play.

  7. #7Welder Dave2024-06-06 18:48

    I think what you're wanting is impossible. You want journeyman level pay without going through an apprenticeship... not likely to happen and you can't get your Red Seal until you have journeyman status. You can get it at the same time though. You might be able to challenge some of the years of apprenticeship but you'd have to be able to prove the hours you worked in that specific trade. Some of helicopter experience could count towards your apprenticeship but not sure how much. It's rare someone can challenge the journeyman exams in a different trade unless they have verified proof they have worked the required hours in that trade.

  8. #8chidog2024-06-06 20:41

    If you do mechanical work on aircraft your way qualified to do most any type mechanics. A true aircraft mechanic will cringe at how the average equipment or auto mechanic works on something.

  9. #9Cliffy2024-06-06 21:39

    Australia is giving visas out like lollies. Move to Queensland, buy a toolbox and walk into workshop of any earthmoving mob and get $100000 starting.

  10. #10Welder Dave2024-06-06 23:56

    I think aircraft work is much more precise and requires extra time to insure everything is done right. Not all shops doing repairs on equipment will have the same standards or allow extra time to make sure it's done right. Just fix it so it runs because we need it yesterday.

  11. #1192U 34062024-06-07 01:04

    You'll have to find an employer willing to hire you and sign you on as an apprentice. Experience in another trade sometimes counts towards apprenticeship hours but you will have to ask your local apprenticeship board about your case specifically. You might be able to challenge all 4 tests and the IP. Again, you should probably contact the apprenticeship board about that. You will still need the hours to progress. I think its around 1500-2000 hours or so per year required to progress. Pay is usually 60% of Journeyman wage for 1st year and it increases 10% each year you complete. There is nothing to stop an employer from paying you more if you've proven yourself. Have worked with a few guys who were in their 50s that were making 2 or 3rd year rates as new 1st years. They also brought along a couple decades of experience turning wrenches on their own equipment as well though.

  12. #12Jake The Snake2024-07-02 16:18

    Thanks for the info folks, I'll give skilled trades BC a call and get some more info. I have talked to a couple guys I know and I think I'll be able to challenge some of the exams and best case scenario reduce my apprenticeship time a couple years. I know that theres a load to learn about the equipment and systems but that will all come with time. Alaska would be interesting, on the other hand I think I would honestly die if I went to work in australia, I cant handle 25 above let alone 40, I think I'll keep my frozen fingers instead of heat stroke. I plan on visiting the land down under, doubt i'll move there.

  13. #13MarcusZ19672024-07-02 17:33

    You can keep the frostbite I'll take the heat any day! Good luck on the time reduction!