Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Just a few pictures.

bigshow ยท 2013-09-01 14:54

I have a lot of great pictures to share, we got a new I mac so bear with me, there's a bit of a learning curve here.

Replies126
  1. #1bigshow2013-09-01 15:05

    Galion Standard Premier, 5110B

  2. #2bigshow2013-09-01 15:13

    Hoe and grader I normally run, that mill was on a trial run. As you can see, a little wax goes a long ways.

  3. #3bigshow2013-09-01 15:20

    My Bantam and my 1085B.

  4. #4bigshow2013-09-01 15:30

    A CMI Super 500, Swapping out 35' of stick for the cable hoe, and placing the refurbished grader on it's retirement home.

  5. #5bigshow2013-09-01 15:38

    A good friend of mine and I scoping out a Keystone Skimmer and Adams grader, these belong to the company I work for.

  6. #6bigshow2013-09-01 15:40

    I am 6'6" tall, just to give a size comparison.

  7. #7oceanobob2013-09-01 21:13

    That bucket sliding along the mast with the trolley reminds me of the action on my reach forklift with the accessory bucket... reaching way out there...but this swings too it seems Thanks for the pics!

  8. #8bigshow2013-09-01 21:22

    A couple old Akerman H14s, My Bantam at my previous employers, some concrete paving train pics.

  9. #9bigshow2013-09-01 21:24

    Paving train, John Deere HSD764, some random iron at a local pit, and it still works daily!

  10. #10bigshow2013-09-01 21:27

    5110B, Freshly redone 4600.

  11. #11bigshow2013-09-01 21:32

    218A, Galion standard premier, My brother and I with a 992 owned by my current employer but 20 years ago, 5110B getting dressed up.

  12. #12bigshow2013-09-01 21:36

    Doing the site for our new home in 2010, it was about 10 degrees too. Only reason there was no frost-I had snow piled on top of the sod where the house was going to be .

  13. #13glenlunberg2013-09-01 21:36

    Nice pictures here. I like the CMI Super 500. It's big and wide. I wonder what jobs it can do.

  14. #14bigshow2013-09-01 21:41

    It was for fine grading 4-lane highways, runs off of string line, it has a conveyor belt that pukes excess gravel over the line and then 615's would pick it up. There are really no pictures of us working, basically because we were working.

  15. #15mitch5042013-09-01 23:29

    I hoPe they preserve the Keystone Skimmer, I don't think they make those anymore. Did it have wooden planks for track pads? What part of the country are those Akermans in? I have never seen an Akerman around here. What's the big old hoe in the last pic of post #10?

  16. #16Jim D2013-09-01 23:59

    bigshow, those are very cool pictures!

  17. #17bigshow2013-09-02 08:53

    The skimmer- there are actually two of those in that old pit, the other is complete with wooden cab minus the boom, then there is the one pictured. They had a steel plate on each side of the wood for track pads. As much as I would love to restore them, they are too far gone, and quite a ways from my shop. The Akermans are in upstate New York, I used to work for that contractor and they also had an H7MB, it was a rubber tired excavator. They were digging hoes, that's for sure, had a Volvo motor in them too. Volvo bought them out a while back. That big old hoe you are referring to was a Koehring 1066 I believe, that pit has a ton of old iron, they had 2 1266, and an 866. They also had a 780CK backhoe hanging around in the ding weeds.

  18. #18qs99992013-09-02 12:56

    Very cool pictures

  19. #19bigshow2013-09-02 16:34

    More of the Keystone Skimmer.

  20. #20bigshow2013-09-02 16:38

    A few more of the skimmer, and some cranes in the 1,000 islands.

  21. #21bigshow2013-09-02 16:40

    More cranes I found in the 1,000 islands, and one really poor 235.

  22. #22bigshow2013-09-02 16:42

    More cranes, a new shovel and a new hoe for a Bantam.

  23. #23bigshow2013-09-02 16:46

    More Bantam stuff, an old BE with a speeder weight on top, that Bantam crawler is where my backhoe attachment came from, got to love Craigslist.

  24. #24bigshow2013-09-02 16:51

    Local pit finds.

  25. #25DigDug2013-09-02 16:53

    Great Pics ! Theres a guy around here (Maine) still using a old Ackerman for demo like the ones pictured.

  26. #26bigshow2013-09-02 16:53

    Even more pit finds.

  27. #27Reel hip2013-09-04 16:53

    A couple for you

  28. #28kokosing2013-09-28 16:20

    Nice pics, I recognize the orange F150s. What's going on with CSC? Anything...? I see the dragline all the time while going through Gang Mills.

  29. #29bigshow2013-09-28 20:21

    Finishing up I-99, some projects here and there, a good sized bridge in Corning. The 4600 and 3900 are still going strong.

  30. #30eric122013-09-28 20:39

    where were you using the 5110B? thats a pretty impressive machine

  31. #31bigshow2013-09-28 20:51

    I live quite close to gang mills, what brings you down that way?

  32. #32bigshow2013-09-28 20:53

    On route 15/I-99 in Lindley, N.Y.

  33. #33kokosing2013-09-29 15:56

    Myself? I work for the railroad, NS. Do you guys still have the 5110?

  34. #34bigshow2013-10-09 19:28

    I believe so.

  35. #35bigshow2013-10-09 19:36

    Oh, how things have changed.....

  36. #36FarmWrench2013-10-13 18:39

    Great pictures! There is a bantum with a pull shovel north of Lime Lake on Rt16 . I talked the owner into getting theglass fixed ten years ago but it hasn't moved in at least as long. (On tracks). There is a real need for the craftsmanship of men like big show and others on here. Please pass some on to those of us from genX who were told a world of Capital and Management would leave Skill and Labor behind.

  37. #37bigshow2013-11-03 18:56
  38. #38bigshow2013-11-03 19:17
  39. #39mitch5042013-11-03 20:37

    I love the thing with the most interesting man in the world!

  40. #40kokosing2013-11-04 12:31

    Is that the ringer that was on the 219? I'd love to stop by the yard but always afraid to go and ask to walk around and check things out.

  41. #41bigshow2013-11-04 18:50

    I made that one, backblading is such a controversial subject and I have always said that to the nutt jobs. Then it pisses them off even more and I just laugh and laugh and go back to trimming.

  42. #42bigshow2013-11-04 18:53

    Yes it was, it was a 888 from Essex, I can't remember how much stick it had but she could hang the moon. I have more pics but don't have time right now.

  43. #43bigshow2013-11-10 19:12

    FarmWrench, do you know if it's for sale? I wouldn't mind adding a crawler to the "fleet". And for what it's worth, I'm a "Gen-Xer", but thanks, I was broke in by a bunch of old timers.

  44. #44bigshow2013-11-10 19:15
  45. #45ValleyFirewood2013-11-10 22:55

    I didn't realize they even made excavators on wheels anymore. Only ones I've see where military ones and they were at least 20-30 yrs old. Can it drive at road speeds?

  46. #46bigshow2013-11-11 05:23

    Hell yeah, I use them all the time. They do about 30 m.p.h. I wouldn't trade them for the world.

  47. #47FarmWrench2013-11-11 08:23

    We are going back over 10 years since Ipulled in that driveway. It is visible from the road so I know it is still sitting there. It was used to redo the foundation of a barn and going by the quality ofthe work had a very competent guy in the seat. I was told by the barn owner the Bantam was owned by an old friend who had a construction company. He had to take a different front off to put the pull shovel on but the barn guy had no idea what it was. When I get back that way what questions would you like to know about it?

  48. #48bigshow2013-11-11 18:39

    How much he wants for it, and what attachments he has for it. I've driven farther than Chaffee for much less. Bantams had a front shovel available and where pretty common as was the crane boom.

  49. #49wnydirtguy2013-11-23 19:46

    Farmwrench I think I have seen that one before. Would love to know more if you find out anything about it.

  50. #50bigshow2013-11-23 20:25

    How about it Farmwrench? Did you find out anything about it?

  51. #51bigshow2014-01-06 19:41

    Ice jammed up and caused some trouble That was the high for the day, it dropped 10* Plowing the job out, windows never did defrost.

  52. #52bigshow2014-01-12 15:52

    I just parked the splice crane and thought the smoke from the hammer would make a neat picture, unfortunately it looked better in person.

  53. #53Fastdirt2014-01-12 21:18

    Nice pictures. I can't believe the winter conditions that some people have to deal with. We are lucky to even see snow in Georgia once a year. It did get down to 6 degrees this past Tuesday and I think that was record. It's back to normal cold now. Not to bad to deal with. I would love to plow snow just once. It looks so productive.

  54. #54bigshow2014-01-13 05:58

    You're not missing anything, It has been getting into the below 0*F. temps lately, it's definitely been a struggle. We have 8 6-12" pumps going 24-7 to keep the water out of the cells all wrapped up in frost blankets. Everything you do takes much much longer and costs more money to do, extended warm ups, jump starts, fuel issues, it is a tough way to make a dollar. This job has a very tight deadline and daily fines if exceeded so we HAVE to work, so we put our noses to the grindstone and try to be as efficient as possible.

  55. #55kshansen2014-01-13 09:29

    bigshow, Where is this job, I'm guessing it's a bridge up northern NY. I can only imagine the problems working in that weather. They had us trying to run into late November crushing stone here and some days we spent five or more hours getting the plant running to crush for five hours. All summer we were on a NO OVERTIME order then when someone decided we needed more product on the ground before winter shut down they decided working a fifty hour week was fine. So we worked fifty hours weeks to produce for 25 hours, and management says;"We (meaning the hourly people) don't see the big picture!"

  56. #56bigshow2014-01-13 18:48

    I was crushing concrete the week of Christmas, I feel your pain, most people don't know the proper spelling of crusher, but it is really spelled H-E-A-D-A-C-H-E. The bridge is in Corning, N.Y.

  57. #57insleyboy2014-01-13 21:30

    Love the cruz-air pics...but picking up boom with it.....yikes!

  58. #58bigshow2014-01-18 20:01

    Why the "yikes"??? 3 of the tires were on the ground, I always said with the rubber tired excavators, if you got all 4 tires on the ground, you're doing it wrong. The sketchy pick was setting the grader on the concrete pad with the 303.5, I had to back down the driveway with the grader uphill. I didn't think I was going to be able to get it up there, I had to do some "horsing" but it's there now.

  59. #59bigshow2014-01-18 20:12

    It was quite windy, still managed to hit the bucket on the fly.

  60. #60kshansen2014-01-19 06:48

    In that last picture is that a Hanson cement truck? Looks like it.

  61. #61bigshow2014-01-19 09:49

    That's a big 10-Fo.

  62. #62Koehringman2014-01-20 20:52

    Bigshow, Where was that 1066C Koehring parked?

  63. #63kshansen2014-01-20 21:11

    Well at least someone in this company is working this winter!

  64. #64ewt2014-01-21 03:21

    Nice Collection from you guys so here is one from me

  65. #65bigshow2014-01-21 05:52

    Koehringman, it is located in Corning, N.Y.

  66. #66bigshow2014-01-23 17:21

    -5* F. Got to preheat the fittings or she won't take grease. Pumping out the cell for the last pier, there are just as many pumps for the other cell. I think we got our moneys worth out of this undercarriage. I think we're putting enough grease to it.... I had this backhoe when it was just about new, I kept it immaculate, not a scratch on it. Here she is 8,500 hrs. later. She's still a good backhoe.

  67. #67bigshow2014-01-23 18:04
  68. #68bigshow2014-02-03 15:45

    Just a little project I've been working on for my kid.

  69. #69bigshow2014-02-21 20:25

    All the family was tuckered out after Disney so my Father-in-law and I went to the BIG ONE in Orlando.

  70. #70bigshow2014-02-21 20:27
  71. #71bigshow2014-02-21 20:29
  72. #72JimBruce422014-02-21 21:44

    Looks like someone wasn't as careful about looking where they swung however...

  73. #73kshansen2014-02-22 08:09

    IN message #71 third picture down. I'll bet bigshow would like to have a talk with the operator of that machine I would steer clear of that one. If they operate it like that how do they take care of the service on the machine. Seeing all that equipment in one place for auction makes me wonder if more equipment is on the block than actually out there working and making money?

  74. #74bigshow2014-02-22 08:40

    Jim, no they weren't, I hit the bottom with a rattle can just to ease my mind. If it wasn't so cold I would sand it down, mask it off, and paint what needed paint. Hansen, I have never been to an auction of this size, one thing that was blatantly obvious- This is where everyone peddles their JUNK iron. I never seen so many DuPont overhauls in my life, and crappy ones at that. Paint right over dirt, garbage, holes, it was unreal. I think that hoe fell off a trailer, it had road rash pretty bad, but to drive around down there, I think more iron was out working. It sure isn't like New York, there is work and cranes EVERYWHERE.

  75. #75Bullpuncher2014-02-22 09:07

    It is prime auction time down in Florida this time of year. There is an auction going on pretty much every day from Super Bowl sunday all the way to the first week of March. Between Alex Lyons, Ritchie Brothers, and Yoder & Frey. These are national auctions so people drag stuff from across the US down to them and alot of times the sellers will shuffle unsold gear from auction to auction hoping to not have to drag it back home. There was double that much gear at all of them in 2008 & 2009 when everybody was bailing out. Alot of iron that gets sold in Florida this time of year goes to the islands or south america due to the fact that these auctions are within 3 hours of 3 major ports.

  76. #76kshansen2014-02-22 09:29

    Well all the roads and bridges up here are in such great shape they don't need any work

  77. #77On grade2014-02-22 23:15

    Small world Bigshow ..... I was wandering around the excavators and cranes at the sale that Monday morning , while they were selling the tele handlers and rubber tired backhoes . Mostly just checking things out . Amazing how much gear is at that one sale alone , let alone all the other auctions . Hard to believe that the prices stay up as well as they do ! Takes alot of buyers .....It was beautiful weather down there though

  78. #78bigshow2014-02-23 10:35

    We must have walked right by each other then, we were there while they were running the last few telehandlers through. My father-in-law has been in the market for a 312 so we checked a few out, mostly painted up junk. We were down for a week and only one day did I see a cloud in the sky.

  79. #79On grade2014-02-23 13:34

    Ha ha ....yeah I was up to the same thing . A few were obviously demo machines ... They were destroyed. Also a couple from an environmental outfit that should have been scraped lol

  80. #80Koehringman2014-02-24 09:48

    That would be a Koehring 666E.

  81. #81saibabamachine2014-02-27 05:07

    Superb Pics. Looks like heavy construction.

  82. #82BenDiPietro2014-02-28 02:48

    It is the collaboration of new and old generation motor and machine. Thanks You!

  83. #83bigshow2014-03-22 21:48
  84. #84kshansen2014-03-23 09:45

    Nice looking truck bigshow!!

  85. #85bigshow2014-03-23 20:32

    Thanks kshansen, sure beats my old F-250 s.r.w.

  86. #86bigshow2015-02-24 20:19

    W2100 milling off the asphalt overlay. 328D removing river access.

  87. #87bigshow2015-02-24 20:21

    218HSL walking under a bridge.

  88. #88bigshow2015-02-24 20:27

    Some M318 action.

  89. #89bigshow2015-02-24 20:30

    Snow removal Buffalo, N.Y. 2014, brand new 966M.

  90. #90bigshow2015-02-24 20:34
  91. #91bigshow2015-02-24 20:36
  92. #92bigshow2015-03-01 10:05

    Lowering a 6-pack of fiber optic cables.

  93. #93bigshow2015-03-01 10:09

    Heritage Park, a historical rest area featuring a lock from the old Erie Canal along the NYS Thruway with walking trails.

  94. #94CM19952015-03-01 11:04

    Big show great pics, thanks for sharing. Question - what's the purpose of the jersey barriers in the swamp, silt fence?

  95. #95bigshow2015-03-01 11:46

    It was a coffer dam, we layed poly down and put barrier over top of it. The parking lot was built into a swamp, so we put the coffer dam in, excavated out the muck down to stable ground, filled back in good clayish material, then built a retaining wall, then the parking lot. I did quite a bit of pioneering on swamp mats to get the customer something stable to build on.

  96. #96CM19952015-03-01 12:39

    Cool, putting that coffer damn idea in the ol' rolodex. Thanks for sharing. Just finished up an underground retention system that had grey muck that had no resistance to a 4' probe rod, those jobs are a challenge. We used geo-grid, class 1 rip-rap and #2 to build a stable platform. Had to rip 4x8 sheets of OSB down for walk planks as you couldn't walk across it.

  97. #97bigshow2015-03-01 13:11

    Any swamp around here has a bottom, if you sit on enough matts with a smaller hoe you can dig them down to hard ground as long as you can keep the water away. It's all about surface area in these situations, the laborer stood in the bucket at ground level and I toted them along as the un-rolled the poly. That was the reason for the backwards bucket in the barrier setting picture, it was easier for them to work without the dipper stick above their heads. They couldn't walk in the swamp, too much muck and they would have gotten stuck.

  98. #98kshansen2015-03-01 14:26

    Just remember when they first built that canal the Irish immigrants they used did not have the fancy tools you had! And the old high school I graduated from is just a hop and a skip down the road from that project!

  99. #99bigshow2015-03-01 14:45

    I had a lot of respect for that project and was proud to be a part of it. The Locks were amazingly well built by true craftsmen, I felt the need to go above and beyond to make sure I wouldn't disappoint those that worked inside the Locks before me.

  100. #100JDOFMEMI2015-03-01 18:49

    Bigshow That was a pretty interesting post from a job I am sure you can be proud to be a part of. Thanks for posting it for us.

  101. #101Brad SEIN2015-03-01 19:28

    Bigshow, neat thread and thanks for the pics. I am new to posting but have lurked for 10 years. I really enjoy and learn a lot from some of these threads that you guys post highlighting your work. Did you get to run the 2050 Case? I am starting a RPO on one soon and wondered about real world experiences from a seasoned operator. Thanks for the time.

  102. #102bigshow2015-03-01 19:44

    I was at some Wirtgen training and this was parked out front, the salesman tried to get me to try it out but I wasn't interested. There wasn't any real world scenarios available there so I wasn't going to waste our time pushing snow around. The cab seemed kind of cheap but it seems to be stout where it mattered, I haven't been around any new Case equipment in years. I've been with a Cat only contractor for quite some time. The last new Case machine I tried out was a new 850G dozer.......

  103. #103450smrider2015-03-01 20:38

    Great pics and looks like some nice jobs

  104. #104kshansen2015-03-01 21:01

    If you think the locks were something you should have seen some other remains a few miles west of there. Here's a Google Maps link to the site: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0096498,-76.7198982,255m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en You should be able to click on an image in the lower left part of the screen to get a better view from the water. That was a bridge for the Erie Canal to carry it over the Seneca River. Seneca River is now part of the Barge Canal through New York State. There is a much smaller version of one of these aqueducts not far from my house that has been restored with wood lining and filled with water like the original and is part of the Camillus Erie Canal Museum. http://eriecanalcamillus.com/aqueduct.htm

  105. #105bigshow2015-03-01 21:47

    Thanks for the link kshansen, very interesting.

  106. #106bigshow2015-03-02 08:46

    A few pics from a bridge job on I-90

  107. #107bigshow2015-03-02 08:50

    John Deere HSD we used on the I-90 in Weedsport. Cat 5110B and a Manitowoc 4600 A lot I graded up for barrier storage with a 140m2

  108. #108clintm2015-03-03 20:33

    how do you like the jd hsd how does it push

  109. #109bigshow2015-03-03 21:25

    It did good spreading gravel at 16,000 tons a day, but that was about it. I didn't mind running it but it was frustrating trying to accomplish real dozer work with it when it wasn't a real dozer. It sucked on a 3:1 and steeper slopes, I almost rolled it attempting to trim a 2:1. It was terrible in soft underfoot conditions as well and a 14 walked all over it on the haul roads.

  110. #110clintm2015-03-03 21:41

    they don't look like that they would push very well if it did the track probley wouldn't last very long. I've always thought they looked like it would be good for working the fill on big dirt job's maybe not you would think in soft ground it would be great because the weight is spread out

  111. #111bigshow2015-03-04 06:57

    It did great pushing off loads of gravel, that's about it. The weight might be spread out but it's still on four small contact points. There was not a lot surface area to those short tracks and the machine was fairly heavy so it made for a high ground bearing pressure.

  112. #112bigshow2015-03-09 21:18

    The mighty 1085B!

  113. #113bigshow2015-03-09 21:20
  114. #114bigshow2015-03-09 21:27
  115. #115kokosing2015-04-20 20:18

    Hey bigshow, did you guys sell the 5110 or just rent it out? I saw someone post it on Facebook.

  116. #116qball2015-04-20 20:42

    Hey, show! Any news about a poor and helpless?

  117. #117bigshow2015-06-14 15:22

    We rented it, the fella that was running it was posting all about it on Facebook.

  118. #118bigshow2015-06-14 15:24

    Q, she still sits there, patiently waiting for me to put her all back together.

  119. #119lucia2015-07-10 04:19

    here also have your CAT

  120. #120Michael S2015-11-09 18:32

    Hello Is the Keystone Skimmer still there?

  121. #121maddog2015-11-10 07:52

    great pictures, lived next to the canal most of my life. live down south now, got sick of NY taxes/cost of living. Shame the politicians have ruined such a beautiful state.

  122. #122bigshow2015-11-28 18:24

    The Skimmer supposedly found its way to a collector.

  123. #123Melness642015-11-29 03:37

    Great thread Bigshow ,will be keeping an eye on this for future jobs you do . Good job....

  124. #124kshansen2015-11-29 07:56

    Bigshow, they ever going to be done with that Heritage Park project? rode past there several times this summer and fall and the building they are putting up is still not much more than a skeleton, think they were working on some roofing last I saw. Need to hire a Mennonite crew on that job! I recall a couple years back we had a bad storm that ripped the roof of an old brick house not far from the Heritage Park project. I drove by early one morning and they were just cleaning off the remains of the damage. Late afternoon went by on the way home and they had shingles half way up the new roof.

  125. #125bigshow2015-11-29 13:05

    Thanks Melness64. Kshansen, we finished out our contract last fall, it's on somebody else now. So I have no idea what's going on there.

  126. #126alinda2015-12-02 02:06

    Looks so good