I have operated plenty of excavators but never a backhoe. I just bought a 580K 4wd and need a little help? I have figured pretty much everything out except for the lever and foot peddle on the floor below the seat. Here is a picture I am assuming the lever is for the 4wd but can't figure out how exactly it shifts as it doesn't move very much. No clue what the foot pedal is in front. Which is actually not connected to anything so the linkage must have broke.
Also, the stabilizer cylinder is leaking. I found a seal kit from brokentractor.com for $25. Is this all I would need? How hard of a job is it to reseal a cylinder. What tools do I need?
I beleive that is your differential lock pedal it locks both wheels together
Ahh. I remember reading about the diff lock a while back. Your probably right. Guess I don't have to worry about that for a little bit. Any idea what the lever is? Is that the 4wd shifter?
4 speed gearshift
From far to near. Left brake - right brake (can be pinned together for road travel) Differential lock 4x4 shifter ( i think forward ingauge ) Transmission shifter
Not familiar with the 580K but have repacked many stab cylinders on Cats. It is a fairly simple job with the exception of dealing with the bolt or nut securing the piston to the cylinder rod. Typically, you are dealing with at least a 1000 ft/lbs of torque. On these smaller cylinders you can sometimes get by with a 1" air wrench. If this doesn't work, you will have to have the nut/bolt removed and installed with a torque multiplier. Most heavy equipment shops will have this. You may come out cheaper if you do all of the disassembly/reassembly and just rely on the shop to deal with the nut/bolt. Sometimes removing the cylinder head (the part that has the visible seals) can be difficult and also require large amounts of torque. If it is threaded be very careful with the threads, any damage to them is a p.i.t.b. Thread damage can be usually overcome with a triangle or thread file. I typically will leave the cylinder installed on the machine and just remove the cylinder rod with the cylinder head and piston attached, then re-insert once all the seals have been replaced. Also if you have a metal/rubber wiper seal, this is the one seal that you can see, I put threadlocker on the metal part of the seal to prevent it from coming loose and sliding down your cylinder rod. Good luck and feel free to ask additional questions.
sometimes on the 580K you need to move the shuttle back and forth to pop into 4WD, and yes it is forward to engage.
On my 580K, I just turn the wheel left and right while moving slowly, and it engages easily into 4 wheel drive. Also, the diff lock only locks the rear wheels together. Also, Case uses a small screw where the gland seats against the body of the cylinder. Don't forget to remove that screw.