Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Just bought a “New to ME” Haul Truck

Glen1978 ยท 2011-02-15 19:37

Picked up a 88 Freightliner FLD120 tandem this morning. Its got a 3406 Cat 450HP manual pump motor with a 9 speed behind it and Rockwell rears. Shes got 800k on her but that aint too bad for the year model. Was originally a sleeper truck but been converted to day cab. Truck seems pretty clean and for $3500 couldnt see going wrong with it. Plan to pick up a used lowboy to move my JD550G LGP and a future good sized excavator.

Replies4
  1. #1Glen19782011-02-15 19:39

    Here is a pic of it.

  2. #2casecx7002011-02-15 20:59

    man that looks cool and that is a good deal for only $3500

  3. #3DEERE310SG2011-02-16 13:31

    Nice truck. Kyle

  4. #4Glen19782011-02-16 16:46

    I talked to the owner last night and he said it ran out good. Always fired right up and never let him down. I called Freightliner today and they said the motor is a B model and that is was born with 4.10 gears in the rear. The owner said that he has plenty of pedal left at 75 mph?? I figured that would be pretty maxed out witha 9 speed. I used to drive an old T800 KW witha 470 Detroit/9 speed w/3.0X gears in it and it would run WELL over 100. Bout 120 is what we had figured by RPM. I guess even it has taller gears in it the 450 Cat will make up for alot. Mostly flat where I live so not a huge worry.