I just bought a Doosan excavator that was advertised as having a 30" bucket. Is that a bucket width measurement? How can I calculate the maximum heaped capacity of this bucket? Why are most excavators' buckets classified by inches rather than capacity? I would like to get as close to a three yard scoop as possible on this machine. The dirt I will be digging is very soft river silt and has previously been disturbed in the recent years. Is three yards asking too much from this machine in this case? What inch bucket would I need to get close to this? 48"? Here's a pic of the machine and bucket. It has a quick change setup. Will I need to look for a special type of mounting setup or are excavator buckets somewhat interchangeable? Thanks in advance for any input. Excavators are pretty new to me. :usa
there is probably a metal tag on the bucket that states yardage as for the width ... usually the bucket width matches the pipe your installing digging with a trench box you need a bucket to match the box if you want it to hold more add sidecutters
Well a yard is 27 cubic feet so 3 would be 81. In simple math 4 feet by 4 feet by 4 feet would be 64 cubic feet. 5 feet cube would be 125 cubic feet. You need to know what kind of mount you have and buy bucket for it.
Thats definetly a small bucket, no doubt great if you want to bury 18" pipe but not much use for throwing muck about Yes generally an excavator bucket is measured by width not capacity. You will probably get up to about 54" as a digging bucket with teeth quite easily, I would expect bigger to be available but not so common. Thats where a welder and some plate comes in handy. How big you can go will depend on the weight/density/wetness of the material and the thing in the cab holding the levers. If you've got an operator in the cab you will almost certainly get away with a bigger bucket ( more production ) than you will with a greenhorn. I managed to find a couple of adds that have bigger buckets. As for compatability you need to get the existing bucket off that hitch and see what the mounting is. It could be a pin grabber in which case you need to measure the pin dia, centre to centre, and width between the webs (dipper width) then go hunting a bigger bucket. If its not a pin grabber, then what is it as that will govern your choices. http://www.mascus.co.uk/Constructio...0LC/0040a9ee-e8ae-4ed4-a01b-3e648d19173c.html This states standard bucket at 1.66cu.yds http://www.constructionequipment.com/article/CA6296288.html
Serv if that your digger them it would appear to have a Geith pin grabber type hitch which should make it easier to locate a bucket,just measure the distance between the ears and the distance between the pin centres.This will allow any supplier/ seller to be sure that his product will sell.A machine of that size should handle a 1.5m or 2m digging bucket at her ease.
When it comes to buckets you need to measure the one that fits your machine and get one exactly to fit, (measure twice so that it fits your quick change). I found out the hard way that not all 120/135 size CWS quick change lugging is the same. I bought a rake that would fit Hitachi EX, ZX, John Deere, Komatsu CWS quick change. I have a Case 135 and I ASSumed it would also fit mine-wrong! I should have measured before I bought it. Looking at specs for your Doosan 300 machine it showed a maximum bucket capacity of 2.3 yards. http://www.ritchiespecs.com/specifi...vator&make=Doosan&model=DX300LC&modelid=92428 Here is a spec page that shows bucket options for the Solar 300LCV http://ce.doosaninfracore.co.kr/eng/product/pdf/S300LCV_EN.pdf
this has some photos that show the label plus c/yards it depends on the style/ shape of bucket ... how much it will hold... that is a good size machine so 4 yds. should be to much to handle. the quik connect the bucket will interchange as long as they are 200 style or 300 style etc... a 200 komatsu won't fit a 300 komatsu, 2 deere to 2 komatsu will... i think.. check with a dealer they will steer you in the right direction.. Rental places will rent buckets... or demo to try ... http://www.amequipmentco.com/reports/equipment.asp?equip_type=Misc+-+Attachment government and bacon davis jobs have pay scales rate at bucket cap... that wjy the label. I've had Corps inspectors look at label .. then ask what the company was paying.... Last Corps job I worked the company didn't know or care maybe, about the difference between building and the outside stuff, which is usually half.. everything paid building scale..... which was great for pay for building parking lots.. The skid steer didn't get many hours on my timecards..... it was horrible either scale..
First of all, you mean Davis Bacon. and secondly.....that has nothing to do with the size of the machines bucket lmao. and lastley, the bucket tags are not there for the sole purpose of "Bacon Davis" jobs Not being a smart*** just dont want serv to get some bad info that's all, also i have my reserves about that machine swinging a 4yd bucket EDIT: since I ventured a little off-course I might as well finish my ramblings. I have seen Davis Bacon wages clear up to $35+fringe and I bid a job last week that the DB was under minimum wage because it was government "hud" money.....and no where in any pay scales have I seen anything about a bucket capacity wage change. There is a ton of good info on HEF and I am sure there is even some about prevailing wage Pj
Whoops!!! 4 ft. not yds... and a shouldn't..." that is a good size machine so 4 yds. should be to much to handle." that is a good size machine so 4 ft. shouldn't be too much to handle. I did look at DB after you mentioned that ,,,, it appears that they have done away with the yds,,, things ... but that was 14 years ago.
Hello, here a response from the Netherlands. About the size of the bucket, we talk about the volume no matter which the width of the bucket is. So i'm working with a Volvo EC 290 CLR in Holland and this machine has 3 buckets to use. The volume is 1000 liters, first one is 2.oo meter wide, the second 1.10 meter and the third one is a heavy rocket for demolition work. So it is very interesting for me how it works about the sizes of the buckets yuo have to use.
The 2 meter holds the same as the 1.1?? How wide is the rock bucket? Also - 1000 liters = 1.3 yards, so you are saying that your 290 size bucket that is 6.5 feet wide only holds 1.3 cubic yards???????
WOW, thanks for all the info guys. :drinkup I had expressed my interest in a larger bucket to the seller of this machine and he offered to trade the pictured 30" bucket with a 48" bucket off of a 2002 Daewoo 300 that he uses at his ranch. But when he said he might have to take the quick change setup, I told him I'd just keep the 30" (and quick change setup) and find a larger bucket elsewhere. The 48" bucket was in another city, so I couldn't take a glance at the tag of that one. I didn't even look for a tag on the 30" either. I'll look at it in a week when I get up there to pick her up. A friend that owns a local scrap yard (he recommended that I buy this brand of machine) has a few buckets in a corner of his yard that came off his Daewoo's. They looked larger than the one on this Doosan. Maybe one of his will work. He doesn't use buckets for his business anyway. stock, you are correct on the Geith pin grabber setup. Here are some pics of that.
i was confused too....dont know if he means a ditch bucket? or if he is talking about capacity instead of width? either way im :beatsme Pj
Some explanation for you all. The 2.oo meter bucket is the ditch bucket. The 1.10 meter bucket is a small bucket to dig trenches. Both has a volume of 1.3 yards. The bucket for demolotion works has a open bottom with spiles and teeth . I have pictures of it, but can't post it. Otherwise go to www.bouwmachinesforum.nl and see the post Volvo EC 290C LR or go to company Biemond en van Pelt and see the pictures.
If you are digging soft silt, you might want to look for a clean up bucket that has a bolt on cutting edge, without teeth. The end result when digging is smoother and cleaner. And why wear out teeth if you don't need them? If you are in rock or very hard soil, you will need teeth. But for many soils, a straight cutting edge works well. These excavators have incredible digging power. For most digging with my Hitachi 270, I run a heavy duty clean up bucket that is about 62 inches wide. It came off a Cat 325 and has the same mounting set up. Struck capacity on that bucket is about two cubic yards, but when heaped it can hold three yards or more. Your machine is bigger, so it should be able to handle a bucket that size without difficulty.
Gotcha - thanks
My 135 has a 54" cleanup bucket. The 200 size machines I see have a 60" cleanup. A 66" CWS bucket advertised for sale said it was for a 300 size machine. Do not know the capacities,
On my 2800Q Linkbelt, weighs 50,000 lbs, long boom and stick, not a long reach, I am running a 1.5 cubic yard bucket, 48" wide with no sidecutters, my 30" bucket is .63 cubic yards to small for the machine, but I cut off the front pin holes added 1 1/2" to spread it out now I can use it with my quick disconnect. The new ratings are heaped not struck, that was back in the old days. I suggest going to the manufactures web site and see what they say, that would be your best bet. danhoe
I took a picture of the regular buckets which I use by the excavator. There are also some special attachments for the machine, we will transported them to the working aera when necessary.
on a 300 size....the best bucket with teeth is definitivly a 54 inchs!! on my 225 i"ve a 42 inchs but could fit a 48 inchs too...
It does not matter the width of the bucket it is the capacity. There is a sewer contractor in my area that puts a 12" wide bucket on his Cat 385B. digger
I agree with you, but I would still like to see a pic of a 385 with a 12 inch bucket. The bucket ears must stick out....what 1 foot on each side??:tong
You cannot say "best bucket". If you are digging a 2 mile trench that only needs to be 2 feet wide, well then you will not be very efficient with a 42 or 48 huh? There is, however, a best bucket for every application.
Just a quick question about the Geith setup. Stock said earlier that "it would appear to have a Geith pin grabber type hitch which should make it easier to locate a bucket" so if the pins on my bucket measure say, 3" in diameter, will I have the flexibility to use a bucket with 4" diameter pins? How about slightly different ear widths? Or am I limited to buckets for the Doosan 300 Solar LC V? Looking at some photos I took, it almost looks like the pins on my current bucket are smaller diameter than the ones on the end of the stick. Is the Geith that flexible? I found a couple buckets laying around that I could pick up for next to nothing, but after measuring the pin diameters and centers, etc, they are slightly off, one way or another. Here's one of the buckets I found. It appears to be for a kobelco machine and is in nice condition. My local scrap yard has it in a corner and said it's useless to him.
Here's some pics of my Doosan now that we've moved her to her new home. I used it yesterday to air up a 29.5-29 that was being stubborn around the o-ring. This is a neat machine. Just pretty complicating to operate for someone that's never done it before. I checked out an (out of work) 68 year old operator the other day and he dug a very deep hole in around 3 minutes without really ever having operated anything other than Cat machines. He loved this machine BTW and starts this morning at 8am.
Glad to see im not the only one that buffs my machines lol.
Nice Doosan Serv. Nice work on the bucket man.
and this what i meant.....every general application... have a nice looking machine serv.....these doosan are very fuel efficient by the way...
Thanks man. I've been searching for the right machine for over 6 months now and looked at what seems like over 100 machines from old and busted to nice and fresh ones. That's good to hear. My local scrap yard had every brand imaginable running out there until they ran a daewoo. Now they won't buy anything else but daewoo or doosan. They swear by (next to zero) downtime and have never had to replace a pump like they had to on most of the other brands. In fact, they just bought a used 2005 doosan 420 about a week ago. Buffing sure beats having to paint the machine. Well, we didn't get around to polishing the boom and stick since the machine had to go to work today. We'll get to it next time around. :drinkup We top loaded my scraper about 30 times today in ~4 hours. And that's with the operator idling the excavator most of the time wating for the scraper to go dump. When loading, he was scooping 2 yards at a time with around 11 second cycle times at around 12 scoops per load. The machine is already well on it's way to paying for itself. I was very happy with the work that got done on its first day. The operator commented on how must faster and smoother this machine was than the cats he has always run. No offense to the Cat purists out there!!! :tong
If you look at these two different hitches This Miller has a back plate that goes behind the rear pin and the locking ram pushes against it. As a result there is a small amount that the bucket pin centre to centre can vary because the hitch will not physically fit over the pins if too far apart. This Geith (that Stock thinks might be like yours) has no back plate so the pins can be further apart. Provided of course that they are still within reach of the ram to exert pressure on it. This generation 2 hitch has a gate mechanism to lock on the front pin. With both these hitches the pin has to fit in the front lug and this will govern your bucket selection. Generally 13t machine 65mm pins, 20t machine 80mm pin, 30t probably 100mm (4") pin. Just to add confusion these hitches take 60mm pins Find the pin diameter of your machine and stick to that. Then measure the WIDTH of your hitch, this is the MINIMUM width required on any bucket you find, a bucket a bit wider between the webs will be ok. Now find out the minimum pin centre to centre by havining the hitch as in the picture and measure from the back of the front pin recese to the tip of the back plate add 1/2" for clearance. Imagine that when you touch the hitch onto the front pin and crowd the hitch the rear lug has to miss the rear pin. MINIMUM pin centres. To find the MAXIMUM pin centres, place hitch in locked position and measure from the back of the front lug to the INSIDE of the rear plate + 3/4 pin diameter. Bear in mind that any bucket can have the lugs cut off and rewelded to make it fit. Any bucket you try, make sure you view it critically and test it vigourously in a SAFE manner to ensure it fits SAFELY. IF you are not capable or are unsure, find somebody who can check it for you. on edit, a perfect bucket with pins too big could have the pins machined down to the correct size in the area between the webs so as to fit the hitch, leaving the pins original dimensions where they fit in the bucket lugs.
What tractor is that that your loading? Very good looking machine.
that wouldnt happen to be Stante Excavating would it Dan. I know Mario Stante and they have alot of buckets for the 385'S. Who has underground work here in Michigan, Detroit area?
Good day Sir Calculating bucket volume is not so difficult, however ours only use the metric system EEC 26 degrees heap opposed to the 45 degree heap used by NAFTA all you have to do is remember 765Lts = a cubic yard. If you would like a spread sheet which automates the process please drop me an email at bucket [email protected] Kind regards Uffex
Good day Sir I will try to answer your question in two parts 1/ the excavators capacity to handle a specific bucket the criteria is in my experience that of the tipping point at full reach across carriage. This is a combination of bucket weight - material weight - any additional attachment (ie:Quick coupler). Fill the bucket to capacity put the stick at full reach and swing to the side keeping the bucket a couple of feet from the ground, if it tips the bucket is to large. Note a large bucket can in some cases reduce production and impart high stress and fuel consumption. 2/ The width of a bucket is relative to the capacity calculation however it is not the only aspect, today my calculation uses CECE 26 degree heap since far more materials are likely to heap at this angle than that of S.A.E. 45 degree heap. If you would like detail of how to calculate bucket capacity drop an email to [email protected] Regards Uffex
operator language please...
If the machine gets tippy when you have a fully loaded bucket swung out fully at 90 degrees to the direction of the tracks, you're bucket is too big. Also the old calculation used by the society of American engineers is no longer used in Europe who now operate under EU controls/dictatorship. So when your bucket is heaped the angle of the material on top is now 26 degrees instead of 45, this is also why all bananas sold in the EU must conform to certain angles. Lucky for us we have a whole state full of banana benders. However be aware if you do this test make sure to drop the boom, the downward momentum will add to the tip but generally speaking the 'big' bucket for any multi bucket machine will tip it over if not used properly. Basically it's a matter of having a bucket wide enough an deep enough to shift dirt fast in the right conditions, instead of reducing capacity or width because it may tip the machine over in extreme circumstances. Zero tail swing machines are worst for tipping but are designed for tight access work.
we have a zx160 that's about a year old. its a standard long tail machine and that thing is a bitch for being tippy. badly designed machine
As this thread was started in 2009 I assume that SERV has his answer by now, but I wanted to add one thought. Even in soft material a bigger bucket is not necessarily the most productive. Besides being off balance, too bid of bucket can cause slower cycle times are not necessarily offset by the increase of yardage in the larger bucket. There is usually a "sweet spot" that is most productive, and is usually slightly smaller than the max bucket size for a machine, at least in regard to mass excavating. If fine grading large areas is the goal then of course the width is the determining factor. And that folks is my two cents worth (which is proabably only worth a penny today)!