Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Just changed oil after 55 hrs.

popsiclepete ยท 2014-07-18 19:49

First oil change on the new SR200. Between the rain and lack of free time from spring to now finally got to put enough hours on the new machine for its first oil change. Picked up a filter and some oil and proceeded to change oil, what a pain! Not that it was difficult or hard to get at the filter or drain plug, removed the side panel and the drain hose for the engine was right there beside the remote mounted oil filter. Removed the drain plug and the oil ever so slowly drained, it took the better part of 45 min to drain out, I opened the fill cap and even removed the dip stick thinking this would help but no way. All this is even after I ran the machine for a few minute prior to heat up the oil. There has to be a way to get the oil to drain faster? Has anyone else had any experience with this? If you have any tips for the next time would appreciated. That been said the machine has moved all kinds of fill and and black dirt for its first 50 hours and love it. Good power when digging into a pile, ride control works good, other than the fact that you need to hold the button contuously for it to be active. The EH controls worked great. I've since adjusted the controls for a faster responce for the bucket and boom but have left the travel as it was. I recomend this model, it has done things faster and better than I had hoped.

Replies9
  1. #1CM19952014-07-18 20:13

    Try running it a bit longer, say 15-20 minutes really working it. A few minutes at idle or stationary isn't enough time to heat the oil up, at 50 hours on the oil, it still has most of it's viscosity. When I change the oil on the Bobcat skids, it takes a while to drain all the oil out at least 20 mins or so. I usually run the machine hard for a while, drain the oil and have something else to do while waiting. I understand your reasoning in making the first change early, I always do it on any new truck or piece of iron. It might be old school but if there is any remnants of the manufacturing process in the engine I want to flush it out after working it. Probably an old wives tale but what does it hurt?:beatsme

  2. #2popsiclepete2014-07-18 21:24

    Thanks, in Two Hundred hours I'll try it.

  3. #3CM19952014-07-18 21:33

    No problem. Personally I like to change the smaller irons oil in the 100-150 hr range, yellow iron gets changed at 250. I'm set in my ways and it may not be by the book but it's what I go by.

  4. #4kshansen2014-07-19 09:36

    The other day I did an oil change on a Cat 773G, had to drain the engine, transmission, converter and hydraulic oils. Took 15 minutes to drain all of them! Did not even have to crawl under the truck just stand in front of right front tire. Just about filled two 55 gallon drums. Nice to have the electric pump system with the valves to each compartment and the air controlled valves to switch from one to the other. Just wish I could put all that back in as fast.

  5. #5KSSS2014-07-19 11:38

    It is slow draining, CM1995 has a good suggestion in getting hot and that helps. You can also remove the remote drain line at the oil pan, which is what I did. The remote is super easy but it takes a while. Considering how infrequently you have to change the oil, it is not that big of a deal at least to me to access the pan directly. The service access is excellent in my view on these machines, especially considering where the 400 series was in that regard. Glad you like the machine. I am still interested in getting a 210, glad to hear you like your 200.

  6. #6durallymax2014-07-19 12:52

    I would look into what KSSS said to do. You aren't changing the oil that often so personally I would rather have it drain fast and take a little extra work to get to. I rememeber our L220 draining slow too. 500hrs is what CNH says IIRC, and I would not be worried about running those hours at all.

  7. #7StumpyWally2014-07-19 17:28

    I have a 2012 Q4 NH L220, which is essentially the same as the Case SR220, except with a vertical lift linkage rather than radial. I did my 50 hr oil change last summer, & I don't recall it taking excessively long to drain thru the remote drain hose. The machine was hot at the time. I'm glad you are pleased with your machine. Since your SR220 is so close to my NH L220, you might be interested to browse my thread of improvements at

  8. #8popsiclepete2014-07-19 21:55

    Thanks for the advice, next oil change I'll try with the engine hot. If that does improve then I might remove the remote drain hose.

  9. #9pafarmer2014-07-20 07:36

    Remove the remote drain line, drain directly from the oil pan nd get the oil good and HOT ! It's still going to drain slowly due to the nature of the design but should take no longer than 10 to 15 minutes. All of my CAT equipment is done this way....Hope this helps.