Just wondering roughly how much these units cost. What manufacturer you might reccomend. Does anybody own one? If so, do you find it easy to market this method vs. just bull dozing the area. The loftness site has a nice video on it for the Timber Ax. http://loftness.com/ Link to view the video.. http://loftness.com/timberax_videos.cfm?cat=
i am interested in the timber axe as well. have you found any more info on it. i am thinking about contacting a sales rep. for it. maybe see if they demo them. no dealers close by. there is also one made in tx. called a tushhogg. it seems to work well also.
I have done a lot of research on these. So much so that I almost feel I could be a Loftness salesman if I was looking a career change..lol I have talked to Loftness about both the Timber Ax and Carbide cutter they offer. In a nut shell, the carbide is quicker, yet what it leaves behind is a little rougher. The Timber Ax leaves behind a nice finely shredded mulch. The Timber Ax needs more routine maintenance to keep the blades sharp unlike the carbide cutter. There may not be a dealer in your area, but chances are Loftness has a rep that works your state. I talked to the rep who works, NC, SC, and GA. He said he will be glad to come up here and let me demo the Timber Ax. I plan on scheduling a demo around the end of February. First thing i would do is call loftness and speak to an in house sales person. One cool bit of info they will send you is a listing of all skid steer/compact track machines and their REAL hydraulic horsepower ratings. Very interesting information.
First off let me say hello to all. Great site, and hope I can add to the quality of information here. I Contacted my Loftness dealer about demoing a timber ax, and he laughed at me. Told me that he doesn't sell enough to keep one in stock. He then told me that the ax that would fit my Gehl costs $21,500.00! Well I just don't have the work to justify a tool this specific right now. Oh well.
Only $21,500? I thought they would stretch around $30K or so easy. For what you could charge to run a machine equipped with one of those, it's definately feasible if you had the work for one.
$21,500 actually sounds high for a Timber Ax.. My dealer here will order me a 73 inch cut for around $19,500.. 73 inches is also about as wide as you want even if your machine could handle the 83...
I dont know...I didn't real try to haggle it. Your dealer might also get better pricing due to volume.
BUll hog Loftness magnum brush mulckers Iv'e been checking these out, the skid steers that'll handle these all have to be hiflow. Skidsteer dealers all say their machines can handle 'em but they forget to tell you that they overheat the hydraulics . A ghel guy did tell me that if I put one on a new machine the warrantee is instantly voided. There is a company called Super Trax on the west coast of Fla. that adds extra hydro coolers on the roof with a nice cover and fan setup,they said they would put it on my Bobcat....for a price, I don,t think it would be hard to make your own. Check out Super Trax web site .They are also a Bull Hog dealer.
I have run Super Trax eqi. They build one of the best biult didicated mowers on the market. But you are going to pay for it. I will say one thing do you'r home work on you'r machine or the machine you are going to buy. Taking a dirt machine and running it in the wood full time can destroy a machine. We have run them all. My 2 cents on the mower if you'r going to spend 20000+ on a mower, buy a Fecon.
The reason everyone wants to run Mulchers on non dedicated units is price. I have avoided selling mulcher head up until last September and I sold a Bradco Magnum on a John Deere CT332 high flow unit. It has done a great job and has no overheating problem to date. The only reason I sold it was because Bradco was coming out with add on external oil cooler and explained to the customer that he may have to add later. I now have one with a oil cooler on display. I agree super tracks is the way to go though. The Magnum may be the answer for non dedicated machines. I am still crossing my fingers.
Welcome to HEF JDSKIDSTEER! :drinkup
Thanks
I think we had a Timber axe unit at work. We have the bi-directional tractors, with boom mowers,and snowblowers. We like to mulch stuff up. I'll ask around and see if we did, and how they held up to use.:usa
Timber Axe I have a T300 with an 83" Timber Axe. It works well on brush up to about 3-4" Any thicker than that and it takes too long and I would recommend a dozer, rather than the axe. When doing a full day, I sharpen the blades at lunch time with a 4-1/2" grinder. You should also clean your radiator and filters often as it does throw a bunch of fine debris and mulch. It does require hi-flow and does get hot. I fabricated a special guard after I broke so many of the fittings due to limbs and branches falling on or pulling the hoses. In S. Texas, it works fantastic cutting senderos in the brush. In East Texas, it takes a little longer to get through the yaupons and other heavy brush trees. The thing does mulch it down to small pieces, though, which is great. I'd be happy to answer any other questions on it. Great site. Just found it and find it useful for info on the other pieces of equipment that I'm currently using; Case 850G and Cat 322.
Welcome to HEF AndyT300! :drinkup
Here's a second vote on the Fecon or AFE as well. Cost is $10K more but worth it in the design and strength. The Timber ax 's I've seen are comparably lighter, in materials and cost. Our Bobcat head has been great except for the teeth.(just about double to competitors) but there are other tooth options out there depending on your terrain. High flow is a necesity, and keeping your rads clean. http://www.bobcat.com/attachments/forestry_cutter You want dedicated machines check out Rayco http://www.edgeequipment.com/equipment/mulcher_rc87fm.html or fecon http://www.fecon.com/ftx/ftx90l.asp Or Gyro trac, good wet country machines http://www.gt-13.com/
From gyrotrac to Fecon I started mulching with a ASV 4810 and gyrotrac toma-ax 500F (earlier design with swing teeth) in 2003. Was very happy with the customer service at Gyro-trac and also ASV (bought the ASV through local CAT dealer who could have cared less about me after I wrote the check) The service guy I used at gyro-trac has since retired, and I have since retired my gyro-trac (approx 700hrs on it). I had a lot of "out of balance" and bent end-shafts issues with the gyrotrac. Demo-ed and then rented a Fecon BH74SS for the ASV to replace the gyrotac head...have about 100+hrs on the fecon and so far, so good...I have broken three teeth holders because the teeth got loose...defintely keep an eye on tooth tightness. Seem to change a tooth every 10 hrs or so (new hampshire grainte is not kind to teeth) . Need a 4-5ft touque wrench to tighten teeth bolts to the 600 lb ft spec. Gyrotrac was 19000 for the head, $25 for each tooth. Operating costs for machine and operator were close to 100 per hour.... Fecon was $21500 for the head and $70 for each tooth...operating cost is closer to 75 per hour. I looked at the early timberax and did not like the chipper/blade set-up - but do not know much about the new carbide cutters... just my two cents worth -tmts
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums TMTS! :drinkup
Timber ax Hello everyone. I have a gehl ctl80 high flow with a 73ax timber axe. This is an awesome setup . I used the asv 100 and it is good but I prefer the Gehl better. The timber ax walks right thru locust and thick brush. I often get calls to make shooting lanes for hunters and clear fence lines for farmers etc. I tried the carbide cutter and It is a great unit but the timber ax leaves the mulch finer. When I purchased mine several years ago they wer 24k I see now they are 5000 off from Loftness. It is well worth the money and has paid for itself many times over. IF you keep your unit clean and blades sharp than it is a great tool. IF you misuse it like anything it will not last and you will spend alot of money replacing lines blades and whatever else. I was given alot of flack from other users regarding the Gehl. But I tell you what I would go head to head with anyone using the rc 100 unit. I do not even have external oil cooler but The machine I have is set up like the forestry ones. I love what I can get done but no matter what unit you get Try it out first. If I had it to do over I would probably go with a fecon and be set forever. This unit the 73 ax and Gehl has paid of itself in 2 years.
Bobcat has a unit ready for mulchers. It is complete and ready to go without add ons. My experience with Bobcat is that they won't sell it until it works right.
Well then, according to the folks I know here in my area they should still be working on it because they overheat just as much as they did before...stacked radiator, oil cooler and A/C condensor, no belly pan for ease of clean out, ride that beats the crap out of you, track derailment, etc. Heck, the T320 Kubota engine is still only Tier II when everyone else is running at least Tier III.
loftness timber axe I have a timber axe extreme hydraulic mounted on my bob cat s250 hf and it is great i have no issues except over heat on machine every now and then when the air intake gets clogged with pine needles , leaves etc 30 min job to lift oil cooler and clean real good. maintenance is easy enuff greasing as required. the teeth now cost 65 ea x 12 and 55 ea x 2 and takes about an hour with an impact, when i need to it will drop a 6in tree and leave mulch and chips in it's wake. which gets bigger as it dulls but i keep it out of rocks etc and dirt as much as possible. I did learn right offf the bat to change the front door out from glass to a 700.00 upgrade 3/4 in lexan as the glass door disappeared in a second when it caught a piece of fence or some thing i was lucky thaat day
Have Had Good Service With Fecon 74 On A Cat 279C & Case 450 Series 3 . No Over Heating Problems . Never Operate Without Proper Lexan Door !!! Thinking Of Buying A Fecon For A 160 size Excavator .
I finally ordered a demo door for my CASE 465. Aside from the safety aspect, the $350.00 per issue got a little old. I run a Tushogg and the asphalt type teeth that they use have some great advantages in the rock dirt (you can mill asphalt with this attachment if you wanted to), the down side is its not effecient at processing material. The mulch is a little stringy.
Doese anyone have experience using a Fecon head on TSI on small trees? Looking for technique