Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Just how good are you track hoe hands??

farm_boy · 2007-04-23 11:00

Just how good are you self proclaimed excavator operators??

Replies31
  1. #1hoeman6002007-04-23 11:36

    peice of cake:beatsme the crane takes away from the PUCKER FACTOR!. do it without the crane:cool2

  2. #2CascadeScaper2007-04-23 12:29

    I'd totally do it, not even joking. I love to scare the hell out of myself running excavator, I keep it safe though, just don't do anything stupid. I've put myself in some ridiculously crazy places, had some bystanders that were watching me come up later and tell me I'm a straight up lunatic. I don't know if that's good or not, but hey, I'll roll with it.:drinkup

  3. #3thejdman042007-04-23 13:01

    Well the crane does take away the pucker factor, the crane pry is holding most of the weight as it is , obviosuly can handle the weight of the excavator, it got it up there. Imagine pay is pretty good for that job. Wonder why somone (a whole lot smarter then me) couldnt implode it. Loks like a decent amount of free area arenoud the tower, would think they maybe could have.

  4. #4rino14942007-04-23 17:48

    Pretty neat. I wonder what the actual height of the tower is.........errr.....was.

  5. #5equipment fan2007-04-23 18:04

    if you have to do this job,do you will do it???

  6. #6NateV2007-04-23 20:04

    Its problaby not that bad if you dont mind the height, untill you had to be lifted up to break away the pieces that are holding you up. Then i dont think i would like to be swinging around up there trying to break up what was holding you up.

  7. #7Countryboy2007-04-23 21:19

    That would be fun to do. I enjoy heights like that and to be in a piece of equipment at the same time........that would be great. :thumbsup Great pics Farm boy :drinkup . Any more info.......

  8. #8mflah872007-04-23 22:03

    Thats nothing... not. I did a job this summer we were on a ledge hill it was a sheer 100 ft drop next to it. I had to blast the sloped side and bring that blasted ledge to the other to build it up because i didnt want rocks flying everywhere. That was a little hairy, but the close we got to the ground the wider of an area we had.

  9. #9pushcat2007-04-24 20:10

    You gotta have iron nuts to even want to do that. Do you suppose he's greasing the hammer every hour? And what do you do if a sudden case of the poops hits ya?

  10. #10wrenchbender2007-04-24 20:23

    As for the Poops I would have to go on the way up. And then I guess there might be a hole in the floor for just an ocasion:shf :lmao :lmao

  11. #11DigDug2007-04-24 20:28

    That is awesome! I would love to have thought of that . What the heck are those excavator legs from?? doug

  12. #12deeredude2007-04-25 22:03

    only part that would bother me is the ride up and the ride down

  13. #13Dozerboy2007-04-25 23:50

    As long as it’s got AC and a radio I'm good to go.

  14. #14Tn Bulldog2007-04-26 21:46

    No joke & carry a portty john (camping style):shf & your lunch w/ ya too . ive been on some tough demolition jobs before but seesh that & me looking down i may need a new pair levi's w/ me too cause i dont like that big of heights later yall Bulldog

  15. #15JDOFMEMI2007-04-26 22:25

    I would do that!!! I love a job that makes people think I am just a little nuts. It would be a bit intimidating at first, but after a few minutes, it would be just another day at the office, so to speak. It looks very safe to me, as long as all has been planned out well. Hook up, ride to the top, break a while, get lifted a few inches to turn, and then set down and break some more. When you need a break, it would be about a minute ride to the ground, break time, then a minute or so back to the top. A seat belt and good door latch would be mandatory though. I hope we can get some progress pictures later as it comes down.

  16. #16Dirt Dogg2007-04-26 23:09

    I was at my cat dealer today they were talking about these picts and one of the guys said that this company has two more stacks to take down overseas, so maybe there will be a lot more to see

  17. #17Squizzy246B2007-04-27 07:23

    I'd want a flamin ejection seat an a parachute

  18. #18Sam sung2008-01-24 18:37

    You would never get me up there. why was it not blasted

  19. #19Turbo218352008-01-24 19:49

    For those of you asking why was it not blasted. From what i see there is not enough room to shoot this stack. You can have it fall either way, theres not enough room. Brick scatters for a long way when a stack hits the ground. Ive never seen a stack "imploded" ive only seen them tripped with explosives. They seem to be too hard to drop all that material in one spot. The procedure usually starts out by hammering out "windows" at the bottom of the stack. Usually you hammer three of them out. This leaves everything standing on three legs. The blaster then drills his holes on two of the legs. Some times they load a "kicker" on the back leg delayed for after the other two legs go. When they do the shot, the blow the two legs out, the stack then falls, just like you were notching and cutting a tree. In order to drop a stack on top of itself you would have to load the stack in several different locations so it breaks up as it falls. If you dont, the lower section will crumble, then you have no idea on which direction the remainder of the stack will fall. The other reason they may have not used explosives. A lot of areas do not allow explosives at all. For various reasons im sure. I know New York City does not allow any explosive demolition. Thats why Mazzochi and other companies there have so many high reach demo machines

  20. #20Molcott2008-01-24 20:37

    my question is how do you come across a job like that the operator really has landed a seat of a life time. nice pics farm boy any idea where that demo is?

  21. #21EZ TRBO2008-01-24 21:23

    If I had the chance, I'd do it in a heartbeat. No, that be too long to think bout it. There is no way it would be attempted if all safety issues were looked at. Heck, just got done with our MSHA saftey today, we cover alot of other things as well and the OSHA consultant says he loves driving around and just seeing things happening, then stopping. From that high up, they could see a long ways away and I am sure have been there. If all is well go for it. Wouldn't that be one to tell the grandkids someday. Trbo

  22. #22tonka2008-01-24 21:30

    Um i hope it has an automatic greaser! But no, you would not find me i a hundered miles of this site!:notworthy

  23. #23wormkiller2008-01-24 23:42

    I'd do it,looks safer than top down on a highrise.Whats the worse that could happen?The crane's gotta have capacity to spare,the rigging looks good and if the winds calm I'm on it. Probaly safer than driving in trafic. Just dont be a"cowboy" operator and knock the stack into the crane.

  24. #24qball2008-01-25 00:08

    yippee kai yay

  25. #25pwrstroke6john2008-01-25 01:48

    I would do it for sure, just to be able to tell the story. To me the crane looks like a terex/demag ac 700 which has a capacity of 800 tons. So would feel safe.

  26. #26Lashlander2008-01-25 03:09

    Someday? My kids already think thats me up there!

  27. #27RollOver Pete2008-01-25 09:42

    Nice....:drinkup

  28. #28EZ TRBO2008-01-25 09:43

    Well I dont have any kids yet and for sure no grandkids, so the someday applies to us younger generation. lol Trbo

  29. #29DirtHauler2008-01-25 10:52

    More jobs done with machines suspended by cranes. http://www.brokk.com/pdf/Utah smoke stack.pdf

  30. #30Lashlander2008-01-25 11:09

    All joking aside, There are a lot of operators that would jump at the chance to give this a shot. I know for a fact that most of them wouldn't get half way up there until they started yelling on the radio to the crane operator to let them back down. There's no telling what kind of tricks your mind will play on you when you get set on there and start to chip away. You know there is going to be bouncing or sliding around if you hold to tight with the crane. If you let down to much whats going to happen when a piece of the tower crushes and settles you in a couple inches. Pioneering on steep ground has always been kind of a specialty of mine and I'll tell you when your a couple hundred feet up the side of a drop off and your machine keeps sliding a foot or two towards the edge it will unnerve you after a while. I've done a lot of sheet wall jobs and you'd be surprised how many gung ho guys want to stab sheets. When you set them on the wall and the sheets start rattling and swinging into them they decide quickly its not for them. Some of them don't even get settled in until they call it off. I think I could do the job no problem, however I can't be sure until I'm strapped into the machine, look the crane operator in the eye and give him the thumbs up.

  31. #31Eric2008-01-25 22:48

    Honestly, I, like most people would like to THINK I would do the job. In reality, there is plenty of work on the ground!! Not up my alley. I swear ever since I became a father I became a real wuss!:beatsme