Still making a living.
Imagine seeing a hystat D5C XL Series lll still working after 60 years... or some over 30 years old other brand machine, or any over 25 year old hydraulic excavator... these are tough machines! but the operator needs to be at least as tough
These were probably one of the best machines Cat ever built. I trained on a D6 9U in 1965, that was built in 1949 I believe. Pony start, cable blade. This one obviously set up for AG work all it's life looks like.
I was talking to the owner for awhile. 16000hrs on the clock and still running good, never been touched. It's a SA (special Application) version, they were set up for farm work with wider tracks, different gearing, no blade, a direct drive generator for lights for night ploughing and maybe other things too. It looks like it has had hydraulics fitted, pump on the front and hoses out the back. He said they are very smooth machines for ag work and of course give less compaction than rubber tyred machines Still has the rope start pilot motor and he can usually get it going in two pulls.