Needing advice on how to remove a wheel on a Gallion crane. I've got it jacked up, using the outrigger. The lug nuts gave all been removed. I've beaten the ring loose from the inside, but the outside hasn't budged. My beater screwdriver has been used to chip the paint away from the two surfaces that appear to separate, to allow it to come off. I've spayed that same joint with rust buster. What else can I do? I'm out of beating power!! Thanks.
Put the lug nuts back on loose, just started on good really, leaving a gap on the rim. Drive it around, turning the wheels each way, it will pop it off the hub. The rims rust to the hub, by driving it around, you're using the crane weight to pop it off. Sometimes you have to drive quite a bit, stop and start. Leaving the nuts on loose will keep it from falling all the way off.
I was wondering if that might do it. The problem is my tire is flat, and won't hold air. So, I'm limited to finding a way right where it's at. Thank you for your suggestion. Anyone else, please?
Possibly change the tire on the crane Rig up a make shift web to go around the back of the tire get a come along on it to put some pull on it and get a big hammer and a block of wood and swing away
I've also bumped them loose with a loader/excavator/ forklift. Sometimes there's only so much you can do with a sledge, and it takes a little more bump to get things broke loose. Like bumping it with a excavator bucket. Or driving into it with a forklift or loader bucket.
It is wise to put a old tire or block of wood between the bumpee and the bumper, so as to not damage the rim. Sorry I didn't mention that with it.
Thanks to you guys for your great advice. I had a fella swing by my shop to take a look at it. He told me it was okay to beat on a place where I hadn't been, and it popped loose. Keep up the good work guys, you sharing your knowledge and experience is what helps so many of us.
Kinda puts you in a tough spot when the tire has to come off to the inside of the rim.
Yes. Most rims are mounted rings to the outside. I’d clean up the mating surfaces thoroughly and apply some anti seize to the pilot for next time.
DB2 I finally got the wheel to the tire dealer today. He dismounted the tire from the wheel, cleaned it up, put a boot around the inside of the wheel, and inserted an innertube. Not a new tire, but at less than 1/3 the cost of a new tire, it should suffice. Your advice of cleaning up the mating surfaces, and applying a coating of anti-seize will definitely be what I do. Thanks.