Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

K 12 insley

td25c ยท 2009-03-16 21:52

The K 12 Insley was my first crane.I have set alot of trusses and grain augers with it.Its a 1953 with wakashaw gas engines up&down.I have 70 feet of boom for it,I can move it on the road with 40 feet.I also have a 1/2 yard drag line bucket for it.It works great,I still use it around the shop .Not a hydraulic oil leak anywhere.Here are pictures of me setting trusses,and a windmill.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies240
  1. #1willie592009-03-16 22:02

    That is sweet! Send some more pics. Be sure and get some inside the driver cab and operators cab. That's old school cool stuff.

  2. #2Buckethead2009-03-16 22:30

    Nice pics! I've seen Insley crawlers, but never an Insley truck crane.

  3. #3td25c2009-03-16 22:31

    Will do ATCOEQUIP.My great uncle ,who is now 92 years old ran the insley from 1954 to 1974.I have learned alot from him.The grove has some nice options,but I like running the insley to.

  4. #4willie592009-03-16 22:45

    Hey, there ain't nothing in the world like pulling drum clutch's and stepping on brake bands. Maybe throw a little pine rosin in the winch drum when it won't get up on a load. A lot of operators today don't know what that's like. That's way cool stuff!

  5. #5td25c2009-03-16 22:59

    My uncle talked about putting "neet's foot oil"on the shoes & bands.Put "comet cleaner" on them if they are a little rusty.I keep all the control linkeges greased,it works pretty smooth.

  6. #6liebherr11602009-03-16 23:03

    True ..ive never run one ... alot of guys dont know what it is to run a crane ... Would like to try one though ...just for some bragging right's ... Can ya get pics of the engine's there 25c...

  7. #7td25c2009-03-16 23:11

    You would like it liebherr1160.Its all "feel".No computer on the insley.I will get you some engine pics.

  8. #8liebherr11602009-03-16 23:15

    todays cranes are just like air planes ...when the light flashes ...who's in charge ...really ... yes ..any pictures would be appreciated

  9. #9willie592009-03-16 23:22

    Don't fret about it liebherr. The rigs you guys run nowadays makes you just as much an operator as us old farts. Old rig or new, it's still about planting the machine on the ground, securely, and making the lift, safely. Only difference is, with old machines, like the Insley, the operator was the computer and the load moment indicator of the whole operation.

  10. #10liebherr11602009-03-17 00:36

    Ya ..those days of getting on the phone with the cardinal battle cry .."send more boom " are over ...still though ..closest ive come to that is the ol' P&H T750 ...detroits top and bottom ...5&4 transmission's 2-stick...loved driving that ..

  11. #11willie592009-03-17 21:38

    Yep, I've drove one just like it. We had to take it to the Alcoa plant for a Monday job. It was a wide carrier and at that time you had to go across a skinny, 4 lane, 8' lane bridge across the Tennessee River. We decided to do it on Saturday morning while the traffic would be light. I got to the bridge, and had to stop. In front of me were traffic cones, right on the lines. At the other end of the bridge was the road crew that was still placing cones. I could see them turn and look at me, sitting at the other end, and just shake their heads. They had to come back and move the cones for me to cross. Sorry fella's!

  12. #12insleyboy2009-03-17 22:15

    My friend had an Insley crane up in Algonac Mich. Used it to clam along the shoreline. His was track mounted, about a 1955 I believe. Had another friend who ran an American crane and baby powder was his choice to gum up the brakes a bit.

  13. #13td25c2009-03-17 22:29

    The one main problem is moisture on the break drums.If I am picking after a rain or early morning dew,I have to "dry" out the breaks & bands.I do this by working the "booster" aganst the break band until it drys out.Do you run Insley equipment insleyboy ?

  14. #14td25c2009-03-17 23:00

    Here are the engine pics liebherr.The wakashaw in the house is 225 cubic inch or close to it. I dont know about the cubic inch on the truck but its a "flathead" motor.

  15. #15td25c2009-03-17 23:05

    Here you go ATCO.

  16. #16willie592009-03-17 23:16

    Hot dang, I love it! Drums right next to the operators seat, engine 3 ft from ya'. Check out that oil bath air cleaner on that flathead! And for all you young folks out there, that ain't no suspension seat in the lower cab. Damn, 25c, your makin' me feel old, and lovin' every minute of it!

  17. #17OCR2009-03-17 23:22

    ATCOEQUIP, repeat that quote about four time... fast... Can't be done... no way... LOL OCR

  18. #18td25c2009-03-17 23:24

    The INSLEY is just getting in to its "prime".We are only as old as we feel.

  19. #19OCR2009-03-17 23:38

    K 12 insley: What do you think that flathead is, ATCOEQUIP? Looks like the ones we have... in an old Dodge "Weapons Carrier", and an old Dodge "Power Wagon"... whad'a you think?? OCR

  20. #20liebherr11602009-03-18 00:13

    don't think that's a flat head ..assuming your referring to the engine ...flat heads didn't always have much ..from the ones I've seen ..in the way of "rocker cover" ... they usually had a cover on the side of the engine to accommodate the valve adjustment ..and such ..

  21. #21OCR2009-03-18 01:49

    K 12 insley: Last picture... but you might be right, liebherr1160. OCR

  22. #22td25c2009-03-18 21:42

    Look at the second picture on post #15.Its a "flathead" motor.Its not over powered ,About 35 mph on flat road,But its reliable.

  23. #23insleyboy2009-03-18 21:49

    Just the old crawler underground type 25C. I have Manitowoc experience though. Rain on drums could be a real issue the next day. Heck I just ran the headache ball up and down for 10 minutes with a brake locked at click 1. Next find a compressor and repeat step one.Run a bit of wet sandpaper on the frictions to get em cleaned up a bit. Had a mechanic that would file the heck out of the shoes before putting em back on the crane after maintanance

  24. #24td25c2009-03-18 21:59

    Thats great.I like those old cranes.I know what you mean about running the headake ball up and down.Thats a good idea with the baby powder.Ill try it next time.

  25. #25willie592009-03-18 22:09

    Oh yeah, that motor in the lower is a flathead. Dead giveaway is cast iron head, no valve cover, sparks plugs vertical right on top of head. What kind it is??? Now that's hard to say, 25c didn't tell us that. Could it be a Wak as well, since that's what's in the top. Did Wak make a flathead? Could be a Red Seal. Flathead motors of the era were not easy to ID, designs weren't all that different. There were differences, but being so long since working on them, I don't know that I'd recognise them nowdays. :beatsme

  26. #26td25c2009-03-18 22:25

    Its a wakashaw Atco.I tolled You that In Post #1.Do you need a cup of coffee and a slice of apple pie?

  27. #27willie592009-03-18 22:38

    By golley you did! Slight oversight of remembering the first post on my part (you can slap me when I come to get my piece of pie) . That is rather neat though, that they used a flat head and an overhead valve of the same maker on the rig. With a number of cranes of that age, the crane mfg would build their crane with an engine that they chose. Then they'd put it on a carrier built by someone else with their chosen engine. I don't know much about Insley, did they make their own carrier? That's a cool rig you have.

  28. #28td25c2009-03-18 22:59

    The best I can tell,in the early 1950's the flathead motor was giving way to the new overhead valve design.My crane is a 1953.The carrier was made in Chicago ILL. the crane was made in Indianapolis IN.

  29. #29willie592009-03-18 23:24

    Wow that is cool stuff! Wouldn't you like to have been there when all that stuff was put together, with two different engines from Wisconsin? I would.

  30. #30qball2009-03-19 22:23

    mmmm, pie.

  31. #31td25c2009-03-19 22:41

    It was a different time from todays standerds.I guess I am there when ever I am operating my Insley.

  32. #32willie592009-03-19 23:01

    Hey, I'm just glad to see your keeping an old piece of history operating! :notworthy And Qball; back to earth! It's bad enough I'm thinking grandma'a apple pie, while your rubbin' it in! Your killin' me.

  33. #33td25c2009-03-20 20:47

    I just check the fluid levels and grease it,once in a while a set of points in the distributor.The Insley will probably out last me.That old iron was made for the long haul.

  34. #34LogDog2009-03-25 22:56

    nice machine. I have a model k on tracks, straight 8 chrysler powered.

  35. #35Rick Rowlands2009-05-05 23:34

    Does anyone have a load chart for a K12? I'm looking to buy one on tracks for use in a project setting building trusses and columns this summer. Kinda curious what its rated for.

  36. #36td25c2009-05-06 00:20

    I dont have a load chart for the k12. I do know the K-12 is rated at 12 tons or 24,000 lbs. at a 10 foot radius.It's underated,The k-12 will pick more.I would like to have the oridginal load chart for my k-12 truck crane.What kined of trusses & columns are you setting Rick Rowlands?

  37. #37Rick Rowlands2009-05-06 08:13

    I will be erecting a prefab steel building this summer, 45' x 60' x 28' eaves. Has runways for an overhead crane. I can probably use the Insley to put up most of the steelwork but I'll have to rent a pair of 50 ton hydraulics to put up the crane, as its a big old heavy beast. Previously I had planned on spending $100/hr to have the local crane service come out with their 30 ton Grove to put up the steelwork. That adds up fast and after a couple of days of that I would have paid for the Insley.

  38. #38td25c2009-05-06 09:19

    Sounds like a neet project Rick.The bridge crane in the new building will be handy.I have one in my modest shop but it's only 24' x 32'.We put the bridge crane in before we had a concrete floor.I would be lost without it.I love the old Insley cranes,I have a friend that keeps after me to buy his 1953 k-12 on tracks.He dosent have a load chart either.Send us a picture of the k-12 if you can.They are well built cranes and safe if well operated & maintained.You dont have "power down" on the drums,so that takes some getting used to.I charge 100.00 an hour for my tm 250 grove,providing an operator,rigging,and insurance.Everyone tells me I need to charge more.The local crane service might be the best way to go.If you use the insley just make sure it's inspected,Check all cables ,brake bands,boom,etc.Be familliar with operating it,and make sure it's coverd on your insurance policy.

  39. #39Rick Rowlands2009-05-06 13:44

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCy3TACvhN0 Video of the crane running this morning. Its serial number is 6848. I am curious when it was built and also if any manuals are available for it. We're going to move it to Youngstown on Monday. As usual there are many things that need attention, worn bushings etc., but overall not a bad machine.

  40. #40td25c2009-05-06 20:09

    Great video.It sure looks like a k-12 and sounds like it has a caterpillar 4 cylinder diesel engine.Most of the older insleys had a waukesha gas engine.Hard to say what year it is.The cab & sheetmetal look identical to mine.The insley cranes were like "R model " mack trucks,they used the same cab design for many years.I would guess it's mid to late 1950's vintage.There is some insley literature on "ebay".Insleys were made in Indianapolis IN.The contractor my great uncle worked for in the 1950's though the 1970's would take off a day once a year and take his employees to indianapolis to tour the insley factory and look at the latest crane models.My uncle also said Insley would custom build cranes and add options for customers.The insley factory is gone now,a small company bought up some of the remaining stock.I'll try to get there name & number if they still exist.It looks like the crane in the video has about 40 feet of boom.Do they have any Boom sections that go with it?They came in 10' and 20' lengths.

  41. #41Rick Rowlands2009-05-06 20:27

    The crane has a Detroit diesel, I forget the model. There is one additional boom section that goes with it, but it is another upper section. I would like to add another middle section, but unless I can find one I may have to fab one. Someone on another forum has a manual for the Insley hoe which he will send me. I am assuming that the hoe and the crane had similar upperworks. The machine's serialN number is 6848 in case anyone has the ability to look up the date of manufacture. I would like to find who has Insley's "intellectual property" if anyone. There are so many companies that have just completely disappeared leaving unsupported and unsupportable machines out there to carry on. Its funny as it seems that those machines seem to gravitate toward my place!

  42. #42td25c2009-05-06 21:01

    The insley hoe and crane are the same unit with different attachments.They built excavaters in to the late 1970's or early 80's.I dont know if a company bought them out ,or if they just disappeared.I would like to know what happend to Insley.

  43. #43Rick Rowlands2009-05-11 20:28

    We moved the K12 today to the Tod Engine Heritage Park Unbolting the boom sections. Skid steers are great for handling the boom sections. Crane sans boom ready to go. We also acquired a clamshell which will become yard art at the Park. This was a donation from Craig Donges. This little guy has to be relocated from his home up on the boom. The same Landoll which hauled the Morgan crane will be hauling the Insley today. Unchaining the crane at the Tod Engine Heritage Park Down she comes

  44. #44td25c2009-05-11 21:09

    Great pictures Rick Rowlands.We would move my buddys k-12 with 50' of boom on it.Chain down the crane ,let the boom down on cribbing on the rear of the lowboy and chain it ,let the boom hang out over the rear of the lowboy and go.I have used my skid loader many times or a 750 holmes wrecker to swap out boom sections.Those landoll lowboys are nice.Keep us posted on the k-12.

  45. #45Rick Rowlands2009-05-11 21:27

    Sure I'll post updates. Bad news about the whole deal is that the lower boom section and the straight section are pretty much junk. Too rusty and beat up to trust. Good news is that the seller has a fab shop and if I supply the steel and a few days of my time he'll fab replacements. The boom is not the right boom, its from a Byers truck crane, cobbled to fit. When we remake the lower sections it will fit perfectly and be much safer.

  46. #46td25c2009-05-11 22:04

    Rick,let me know if you need any measurements or boom pictures.

  47. #47Rick Rowlands2009-05-11 22:11

    Thanks. We're going to use the old boom sections as patterns. Not too much needs changed except the spacing of the hinge castings so they fit between the lugs. The upper section is in very good condition and can be reused.

  48. #48LogDog2009-05-12 16:39

    heres a couple pics of my k12 has been made into a log loading machine, what is reffered to as a "Roberts Boom" or scissor boom. This machine was bought as a backhoe and they removed the dipper portion and raised the gantry, plus adding of blocks. neat little machine, it is sadly just a Yard ornament but knowing the history and individuals who biult and ran it makes it a "saver" enjoy Roger

  49. #49td25c2009-05-12 18:43

    That's pretty neet LogDog.I remember it has the stait 8 chrysler engine in it.I know what you mean about knowing the history and operators that ran the equipment.I unloaded a helecopter at our local airport back in 2006 with my k-12 truck crane.I told my great uncle ,"who ran my crane from the 1950's to the early 1970's",about unloading the helecopter off a lowboy.He said he never picked a helecopter with the crane,but he did do a job at spring mill state park in mitchel IN.The state park has a memorial to astronaut Guss Grissom that died in the Apollo 1 accident in 1967.NASA donated the space capsule from Grissom's gemini 3 space flight to the memorial.Grissom was from mitchel in.My uncle drove the k-12 truck crane up to mitchel and unloaded the space capsule in the early 1970's.

  50. #50Rick Rowlands2009-05-12 19:06

    Wonderful! Great to see pics of other machines. Is there no hope of it ever running again? In a little over an hour I put the boom back on our K12 this afternoon. That includes threading the cable as well. Just me and a forklift. I find that I get more done when I am working alone. We still plan to build the new boom sections. The reason for putting the boom on was to counterbalance the crane while I drive it down a little slope to get it closer to the tool room. I also plan to spend the next couple of days getting acquainted with the machine.

  51. #51td25c2009-05-12 20:03

    Sound's like you are getting familliar with the k-12 Rick.I alway's dreaded adding boom sections.I have found that it burns about 3500 calories changing a boom section.It's less on hydrauilc grove.My Insley dose have "power down" on the boom.I give the boom lever a quick snap all the way forward and it lowers the boom under power.Then give the lever a quick snap back to neutral position to stop the boom.If you ease in to the lever it will slip through the brake bands,I do this when I am making small adjustments in the boom angle.It takes some getting used to.Good luck with it.

  52. #52LogDog2009-05-15 00:49
  53. #53Rick Rowlands2009-05-15 06:43

    To anyone who is interested. I now have a pdf of the K12 manual. If you would like a copy of this file I'll send it to you, just email me at [email protected] .

  54. #54Rick Rowlands2009-05-15 06:56

    I have a couple of questions. I plan to replace the two boom hinge pins as the old one are quite worn and bent up. I've been told that I can use low carbon steel for these pins. Will that work ok? Also, the track pins appear to be 1" dia. x 12" long. Can I use low carbon steel for those as well?

  55. #55td25c2009-05-15 19:17

    My boom pins measure 1 3/4 inch in diameter,about 18 inches long because they also help hold the fairlead.They are not hard or tempered .I gave the end of the pin a few taps with the welding hammer and it peened the surface pretty easily.I'd say the factory track pins were hard.You would be ok using"cold rolled" 1 inch round stock for the track pins.

  56. #56Rick Rowlands2009-05-15 20:21

    Thanks for checking on that. The boom on our K12 is built a bit heavier than the Insley boom. Its from a Byers crane but also doesn't fit properly. We'll fix that when we fab the new lower section. I spent all day working on the body rollers and reversing clutch linkage. I got rid of at least 6" of lost motion in the linkage by putting in new pins and bushings but the far clutch still won't engage. I will pull the clutch completely apart, free up the frozen adjusting nuts and while I'm at it put in new friction material. I wonder what thickness it was originally. Of course I might as well do the other clutch at the same time!

  57. #57td25c2009-05-15 21:33

    Hey Rick,Do you lock the house and dissengauge the swing gear to travel with the crawler version of the k-12 using the swing lever to move forward or reverse?

  58. #58Rick Rowlands2009-05-15 21:43

    Yes. There is a selector lever that engages either the swing or the tracks. Yours wouldn't have that as it is truck mounted.

  59. #59td25c2009-05-15 22:16

    That's the way my buddy's tracked k-12 works.My house unit has the bracket mountings , but not the linkage.My buddy always gives me guff because I cant move with a load with my k-12 truck crane,then after a few beers I remind him that his tracked k-12 needs a truck & lowboy to get to the next job.It's an ongoing argument.We both like the Insleys.

  60. #60Rick Rowlands2009-05-15 22:39

    Show us pics of both cranes!

  61. #61td25c2009-05-15 23:11

    I'll try Rick.I dont know if he will let me post pictures of his tracked k-12 on the forum.I have alot of respect for my buddy.We still argue over which is the best,truck crane or tracked crane.We both know they are made for different jobs.

  62. #62Rick Rowlands2009-05-16 20:41

    I pulled one of the tracks apart today. I'll be putting in new pins and I also wanted to take a look at the wheel bearings. As I suspected the bearings no longer exist. So I'll have to order some bronze tube stock and make new bearings. Just keeps getting better and better!

  63. #63td25c2009-05-16 21:18

    From what I see,The k-12 has found a good home and owner.Restoring an Insley is not easy,but it aint no hill for a climber.It looks like you have it covered Rick.Great pictures, keep us posted.

  64. #64D2Denny2009-05-16 21:24

    Insley K-12 Boom Rick: I believe I have a complete K-12 boom assembly. I bought it years ago and was going to modify it to fit my Osgood. I bought a BE 15-B and sold the Osgood. The 15-B boom was also junk and my thoughts were to modify the Insly boom to fit, but I think I will try and find an original 15 B boom. This Insly boom is is good condition. I has 3 pieces and is set up for the pendent boom susension. I have all the pieces for it also. I live over in the Shelby Ohio area so am not too far from you. Give me a call if you are interested at 419-522-2042 D2Denny

  65. #65td25c2009-05-16 21:44

    Welcome to the forum D2Denny.I like Bucyrus-eire cranes to.Send us some pictures of your 15-b if you can.

  66. #66Rick Rowlands2009-05-16 21:54

    Bucyrus Eire? Irish crane builders? I didn't get into this project to restore a crane, but the more I work on it the more I like it. Yes it has a good home now. Denny, my email to you came back undeliverable. Anyways here is the link I promised: http://news.webshots.com/album/571790004buYyqp?vhost=news

  67. #67D2Denny2009-05-16 22:02

    Bucyrus Erie 15-B Thanks for the welcome. Looks like I am now looking for a boom for a Bucyrus Erie 15-B Its a 1963 model with a 3-53 GM diesel in it. If any one has any leads on the correct boom, I'd certainly be interested. my email address is [email protected] .

  68. #68td25c2009-05-16 22:57

    The boom designs are all the same on cranes.Let us know if you need help on fabricating a new boom on the 15-b.Send some pictures of the crane.It might be easier to build a new boom then fined an old boom.The 3-53 is a good crane engine.

  69. #69Rick Rowlands2009-05-17 06:49

    25c, I talked to Denny last night. He has an Insley boom but its too wide for the Bucyrus Erie. The boom on my crane is actually for a Byers and is really too narrow for it. It rides inboard of the second ear instead of between the first and second ear. If the Byers boom would fit his BE we talked about possibly swapping booms.

  70. #70Rick Rowlands2009-05-17 20:33

    Denny, here are a few shots of the Byers boom. The outside to outside distance of the lugs are 31 1/4". An Insley boom should be 40" outside to outside. Its 40' from center of the hinge to the center of the sheaves.

  71. #71D2Denny2009-05-18 20:05

    Insley Boom Rick: The boom I have is an Insley. The base is 40 inches wide and the pins are 1 3/4 inches in diameter. The base section is 15 ft long. the intermediate section is 10 ft long and the head end is 15 ft long. It also has brackets added to the head end that I believe are to attach a jib boom. I tried to post pictures but I guess I dont have enought clearance on this forum to add photos to a reply. I gave you the wrong email address. Its [email protected] . I'll email you the photos. Dennis

  72. #72td25c2009-05-18 21:24

    That sounds rite on the boom measurements D2Denny.You should be able to post pictures and start a thread after 3 posts.

  73. #73Rick Rowlands2009-05-18 21:32

    We just made a deal to trade my Bucyrus Erie boom for his Insley boom.

  74. #74td25c2009-05-18 21:52

    Thats great news Rick & denny.Being the trade went down here and not on the "equipment for sale" section,I will wave my normal commission fee and settle for finished pictures of the cranes with the booms .Good luck guys.

  75. #75Rick Rowlands2009-05-18 22:05

    You should also be expecting pictures by the end of the week of the K12's cab in new paint. I don't have time to fix the sheet metal damage right now but I do want to get a coat of safety orange and black on it soon. I'll also give an update on the restoration. I'm going to order UHMW plastic sleeves to replace the bronze sleeve bearings for the track wheels. I also took apart the reversing clutch today and got the old shoes out so I can reline them. Pressure washed the entire machine and will do it a couple more times until much of the caked on grease is removed. BTW ZEP Industrial Purple degreaser from Home Depot is the best I've found so far. I'll start cutting 1" bars for the track shoe pins and putting them in place later this week hopefully. I still have to free up the boom hoist brake so I can lower the boom and get it ready to take to Denny. I'm going to need the crane back in service fairly soon so I'm doing the repairs at a quick pace.

  76. #76td25c2009-05-18 22:41

    Sounds great Rick.The Insleys were orange from the factory.The plastic bushing will probably work fine.My k-12 is in good working order,but it needs new paint.The boom seems like it would hardest part to paint.I thought about using a brush to paint the boom sections so I would not waste alot of paint.

  77. #77hvy 1ton2009-05-19 00:24

    How do you guys find these cranes? I've always wanted an old crawler crane. I've always liked how unit cranes look. Since i've never heard of insley, i wonder how many other old crane manufactures are? American B/E Insley Link-Belt Unit

  78. #78Rick Rowlands2009-05-19 06:58

    The same guy that I bought the Insley from also has a Unit crane which I believe he would sell. It hasn't run in a while though. There was also Bantam, Byers, Cole, Little Giant.

  79. #79Rick Rowlands2009-05-19 08:43

    For us Insley fans, the old Insley plant is still standing in Indianapolis. http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v...0&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=6739491&encType=1 Anyone know what goes on there these days?

  80. #80td25c2009-05-19 22:42

    Thats a good question hvy 1ton.I found my k-12 truck crane on a used equipment lot while looking at a jd 750 highlift with one of my buddys about 15 years ago.I allways wanted one and the price was rite so I drove it home.I showed it to my great uncle and he began telling me all the details and how to operate it after we found out it was the same crane that he ran back in the 1950's.It's a small world.Unfortunately alot of old cranes & equipment have fallen pray to the scrap metal market in the past few years.Good luck hunting,there are still some old cranes available.

  81. #81Rick Rowlands2009-05-20 21:01

    Well here she is sporting a new coat of paint! I've talked my wife into painting the INSLEY lettering on the counterweight over the weekend. Doesn't quite look so bad now.

  82. #82td25c2009-05-20 21:15

    Look's great Rick! I would go ahead and paint the Insley lettering ,and try to talk your wife into painting the boom sections.Good job.

  83. #83Rick Rowlands2009-05-22 17:11

    Here is the Picture of the Day!

  84. #84D2Denny2009-05-22 20:09

    Nice Job!!! Rick: You sure do work fast. Painting the interior and exterior as quickly as you did. Makes me feel super inferior. I've had my BE-15B for 3 years and all I got painted were the valve cover and govenor assembly when I had them off to make repairs. On a second issue, I haven't found a decent forum for people interested in old cranes. Maybe this could be the place. D2Denny

  85. #85Rick Rowlands2009-05-22 20:23

    The engine is the only part of the interior that is painted right now. I may paint the interior of the house later on. The undercarriage will also get painted after I reassemble the tracks and clean off a bunch of crater grease. The White Oliver backhoe in the pic got a complete rebuild last winter, including a coat of paint. I've attached a pic of what it looked like when I got it. All of this equipment actually belongs to a nonprofit that I started a decade ago. Its called the Tod Engine Foundation and was formed to preserve one of the largest stationary steam engines in the US. We plan to erect a building to house the engine in over the summer and the backhoe and crane will have important roles in that construction project. By the way, yes I think this would make a good forum to discuss cranes. I'm also interested in overhead cranes, and we just acquired an 1893 Morgan that will be put on runways in our new building.

  86. #86Rick Rowlands2009-05-24 17:19

    Here are a couple of pics from this morning of the crane with the lettering done and Insley logos put back on. The logo was that of the Youngstown Sheet & Tube Co., a defunct steelmaker that originally owned the Tod Engine.

  87. #87td25c2009-05-24 18:02

    Looking good Rick!The k-12 is going to look like a new one .I like the white- oliver back hoe.I did not know they made one.The steam engine is huge.Cool stuff! The counterwieght on your k-12 crawler is bigger than than my k-12 truck crane.Thats how we have the same capacity even though I am on outriggers.Any luck finding a load chart?

  88. #88qball2009-05-24 18:31

    for all my fellow crane geeks, d icks crane service in lincolnshire il has piles of booms and part cranes. **** and danny and the rest of the mechanics there car fix any old rig.

  89. #89td25c2009-05-24 19:09

    Thats good to know qball,it is getting harder to fined parts for older rigs.I have been called many names,some good and some not so good but never a crane geek.I guess if the hat fits, I'l wear it.

  90. #90Rick Rowlands2009-05-24 19:33

    I don't have those extra counterweight sections under the house. Also a different A frame setup. WC Sales didn't have any load charts per se, but does have the drawing for one and they are going to make a copy for me. Thats good enough for me and when I get it I'll make a PDF and send you one.

  91. #91td25c2009-05-24 20:03

    Thats interesting.My k-12 uses the folding gantry on top of the house,and It has boom stops.Your k-12 is set up the same way as my buddys k-12 crawler crane.No gantry or boom stops.I dident know WC Sales was still in business,the last time I called them I did not get an answer.They may have moved and have a different phone number.I understand they bought up some of the old stock from Insley.I would appreciate a copy of the drawing Rick.

  92. #92Rick Rowlands2009-05-24 21:05

    Yep WC Sales seems to still be around. Next time you get a chance grab some pics of the boom stops. I want to see if that can be added to mine. I'm a bit concerned about it going over backwards.

  93. #93td25c2009-05-24 21:38

    I will get pictures of the boom stops and measurements tomorrow Rick.Its good to hear that WC Sales is still around.

  94. #94td25c2009-05-25 18:53

    Here are some pictures of the boom stops.The outer tube is 2 1/2 inch,inner tube is 2 inch.when boomed up all the way ,the boom is at about 78 degrees against the stops and they measure 141 inches eyelet to eyelet at this point.The stop pins are 1 1/2 inch.I feel more comfortable having the boom stops.

  95. #95Rick Rowlands2009-05-25 21:36

    Thanks! Denny's Insley boom has the ears for the boom stop, but I'll have to rig up something to attach them to the A frame. The pics and dimensions will be of great help when I go to build a set of boom stops.

  96. #96D2Denny2009-05-25 21:37

    boom stops for a BE-15B Anybody ever see a boom stop setup for a BE-15? I don't see any provision for one on mine. My last crane, an Osgood, didn't have any. Over the 10 years or so I had it, I managed to get the boom into the cab twice. Not bad but enough of a PITA to fix the cab corner each time. I'd like to fabricate one for this crane. D2Denny

  97. #97td25c2009-05-26 21:04

    That sounds scary with the boom going overcenter into the cab D2Denny.Not all conventional cranes had the boom stops.I think you could fabricate a boom stop for the Be-15 without to much trouble.They all look about the same on different model cranes.

  98. #98Rick Rowlands2009-05-27 20:40

    Today's boom swap was successful. Got to meet Denny and see his Bucyrus Erie. A good day!

  99. #99td25c2009-05-27 21:01

    Thats good news Rick.How much boom did you get?

  100. #100Rick Rowlands2009-05-27 22:17

    Its 40' long. I'm going to fabricate a new 20' center section to give me 60' so I can set the roof trusses on our building this fall. Probably after that project is done I'll drop it back to 40'.

  101. #101td25c2009-05-27 22:33

    My k-12 has 40' in it most of the time.I can move it on the road with 40' of boom in it.I have a 20' and 10' section to go to 70'.But I have only used my k-12 at 60' for setting trusses.40' will handle alot of jobs.

  102. #102Rick Rowlands2009-05-27 23:47

    Could you get a few pictures of the 20' boom section for me? I have a few questions about how the 20' section is fabricated. Also on those boom stop tubes, were they heavy wall pipe or standard wall?

  103. #103td25c2009-05-28 21:18

    Rick,I'll get some pictures of the boom section .Its webbing is the same pattern as the 10' section.The boom stop tubes are a "standard wall" thickness.Maybe 3/16 of an inch thick tubing.Holler any time if you have any questions about the k-12.You should have a 10' section of boom in the 40' insley boom.

  104. #104Rick Rowlands2009-05-28 21:24

    Yes I have the 10' section but I mainly want to know if there is anything different in the 20' section. It should be just double what is in the 10 footer but I'm not sure. Thanks

  105. #105td25c2009-05-28 21:40

    The webbing, angle iron & brackets are the same on both sections.Make sure to keep alot of 5/8 inch bolts & nuts on hand when changing boom sections.

  106. #106Speedpup2009-05-30 22:37

    That has seen a lot of people come and go just like an old tree. Cool! Has this been in your family since 54? i didn't read the whole thread yet if it is in here already.

  107. #107td25c2009-05-30 23:31

    Yes Speedpup ,The Insley has been in my family for many years like an old tree ,only its an old crane.The Insley is a close family member to me.We love it.

  108. #108willie592009-05-30 23:43

    25c, this has become one amazing thread that keeps going, much like what the thread was started for...an old crane that hasn't quit! It's incredible how this thread has generated so many posts about a single piece of equipment...the K12 Insley. You did good with this one. :notworthy Did you check out the thread by Stretch about the Northeast Rockbusters Show? There was an Insley cable hoe there! Keep this thing going, I'm lovin' it.

  109. #109Dominion 4102009-05-31 10:17

    I agree,excellent thread.:drinkupThere are still Insley's around here,a K-12 with drag-line is one. Dominion

  110. #110td25c2009-05-31 18:55

    Thanks for the nice comments and imput on my thread guy's.It would not be much of a thread without other members posting on it.I bush hogged at farm today and found a k-12 insley truck crane in the tall grass.It has been about one year since I used it last to work on my grove crane .I put a battery in it and it started fine.I moved it away from the corn crib and set the outriggers,fired up the house unit,and boomed up.It's good to blow the cobwebs out and run all the clutches at least one time a year.I had fun!

  111. #111td25c2009-05-31 19:00

    Hear is one more picture I took.

  112. #112Rick Rowlands2009-05-31 19:48

    Finally, an overall shot of your crane! Looking good. Did you get any pics of the 20' boom piece while you were out? One of our volunteers dropped off the newly relined clutch shoes today, so early next week I'll get that clutch back together and at least be ale to start her up again. I have to get busy with the track work and get those pins replaced too.

  113. #113td25c2009-05-31 20:10

    I should have posted an overall picture at the begining Rick.I'l get you a picture of the 20' section,It's over at my buddys saw mill.I have to pick up some cribbing from him and I will grab the 20' section when I pick up the cribbing.It looks the same as the 10',only longer.I need to send my crane to you for a paint job.What kind of paint did you use on the k-12 crawler?

  114. #114Rick Rowlands2009-05-31 20:19

    Since the sheet metal needs a lot of work I didn't spend a lot of time on the paint job. Its all Sherwin Williams oil based paint. Primer I got at an auction, the safety orange I brought back from a job in NC. The black... geez I can't remember where the black came from! Oh yes I did buy a pint of Rustoleum gloss white

  115. #115willie592009-05-31 20:39

    25c...uh...I think you need to mow your grass a little more often. :lmao :falldownlaugh

  116. #116td25c2009-05-31 20:45

    I bush hogged around the equipment& buildings and dad cut the rest for hay this afternoon.With all the rain we have had lately the grass is growing fast.

  117. #117td25c2009-06-05 21:36

    The crane carrier on my k-12 was made by "available manufacturing company" in chicago IL.It has rockwell "top loader" rear ends.One thing that mechanics & operators might find interesting is it dose not have a "power divider".The front and rear axil are locked in all the time.My great uncle tolled me on long road trips he would remove the left axil shaft on the front drive axil and bolt a plywood cover on the wheel hub to keep the oil from leaking out.So on the highway it drove off the rear axil.On long trips the axil housings would get hot if they did not pull the axil shaft,and they gained a little road speed since the rear ends were not in a bined.Hear are some pics of the rears & walking beam suspension.The walking beam is made of 4" thick solid steel.

  118. #118willie592009-06-05 22:17

    25c, that's some cool stuff! When I look at the pics, I can't help but think that someone put those components together...how many years ago! Built like an anvil and just keeps going. :cool2

  119. #119Dominion 4102009-06-07 12:24

    Insley Those pics are great:drinkup That iron was built to last,and was a lot easier to repair than today's.That suspension set-up on the truck is" robust " to say the least.The pics of the drive tumbler-or sprocket on the crawler crane reminds me of the Bucyrus-Erie 30B my dad and uncles had.The drive lugs (where it meshed with the inside of the pad)were wore down so it wanted to skip and not travel . They had a welder building them up using pattern jig for a guide.I remember standing in the cab behind my father while he turned the sprocket(s) from time to time for the welder.I was about 7 maybe 8years old at the time. This is one excellent thread, Dominion

  120. #120td25c2009-06-07 17:22

    Looking at pictures of cranes & equipment brings back memories to most of us.The older cranes were overbuilt and underated .One thing I forgot to mention about my K-12 truck crane is that has been turned over ,only not forward.My uncle tolled me they were working along a county road pulling tree limbs & debris away from a culvert using the clamshell bucket,They went to move the crane forward a bit to change positions.They they swung the house to the front for road position and left the boom up steep,pulled the out rigger cribbing and started to move the truck .Due to the crown in the roadbed the crane began to lean and the house swung on its own from the counterwieght .My uncle said it layed over pretty gently with the counerwieght comming to rest on a small embankment in the mud.And the truck was rocked up at a 45 degree angle with the starboard side running gear still on the road and the boom up against the stops.They hooked a IH td9 to the clamshell bucket and got it back on its wheels,washed the mud off the counterwieght and went on with there work.They never forgot to set the swing brake again after that day.

  121. #121Rick Rowlands2009-06-13 08:35

    25c, ever get any pics of that 20' boom section?

  122. #122td25c2009-06-17 20:09

    Sorry Rick,no pictures of the 20' section yet.I was at the sawmill picking up some cribbing for a job and I did not have time to get pictures of the boom section or room on the trailer to haul it back to the shop.I have been very busy lately.I'l try to get you some pics of the boom section by this weekend.

  123. #123td25c2009-06-21 19:49

    Here are some pictures of the 20' section Rick.The last picture is a 10' section.

  124. #124Rick Rowlands2009-06-21 19:58

    That actually helps us immensely! Thank you very much.

  125. #125td25c2009-06-21 20:34

    No problem Rick,Holler any time about questions on the k-12.Sorry it took me so long to get the pics of the 20' section.

  126. #126hapec122009-07-08 19:51

    I hated to see this come to an end. Very interesting, gentlemen.

  127. #127hapec122009-07-08 19:54

    No one mentioned a Lorain. Dad ran one when I was a pup.

  128. #128td25c2009-07-08 20:47

    Welcome hapec12.Dont worry The Insley k-12 thread is just getting started.I have never ran or worked around a Lorain crane other than seing them on a jobsite.I know they are good cranes.Feel free to share any stories or pictures of the Lorain.Now back to the k-12 Insley,My buddy has been on my case to buy his k-12 on tracks lately.Like I need another piece of iron on the lot.Allthough I really do want it and the price is good.I am running out of Tall tales to tell my wife ,I bought a IH td 15 dozer last summer .My wife saw it setting at my shop and asked me "whos dozer dozer is that!"Well I told her it was the county hiway departments dozer and I was just going to adjust the valves on it for them.when she finaly found out it was mine the crap hit the fan.Dang.

  129. #129Rick Rowlands2009-07-08 21:47

    We just started fabricating the 20' boom segment today. I'll get some pics tommorrow and post.

  130. #130td25c2009-07-08 22:14

    That sounds great Rick.Have you got to spend any time running the K-12 crawler with a load on the hook?

  131. #131Rick Rowlands2009-07-09 21:10

    The new 20' boom section is coming along nicely. It should be done tommorrow. There is a bad piece of main rail in the lower boom section which will also be replaced with new angle.

  132. #132Rick Rowlands2009-07-09 21:15

    OK here are the pics

  133. #133td25c2009-07-10 21:07

    RICK ,Thanks for the pictures of the INSLEY factory.You are well equipped.The new 20' boom section looks great!

  134. #134hapec122009-07-11 20:43

    What a well equipped shop indeed. Home of the Engineer.

  135. #135Rick Rowlands2009-07-11 20:57

    Unfortunately its not my shop, but someday I may have one like that.

  136. #136Rick Rowlands2009-07-22 21:44

    I started reassmbling the boom today. Here is the repaired and repainted lower section and the completely new 20' middle section on the crane. I still have to repaint the upper section before putting it on. I have new wire rope for the pendants and I'm working on making a new block since the old one is junk and I can't afford to buy one.

  137. #137Rick Rowlands2009-07-22 21:47

    Oops forgot to attach the photos.

  138. #138willie592009-07-22 22:26

    That looks sweeeeet Rick! Can't wait to see the boom in the air. :notworthy But I must say...Geeez what a flywheel in the background!!!

  139. #139td25c2009-07-22 22:45

    Megga dittos ATCOEQUIP!Great job Rick!On the block,are you talking about making a new load block & hook or rebuilding the end section on the boom?The crane looks awsome!

  140. #140Rick Rowlands2009-07-29 08:16

    I have to make a new hook block. It seems like forever getting this crane back together but with so many other projects I haven't had the time to devote to it. But yesterday we did get the last of the boom painted and the track put back together. Now at least one side has the correct tension. Still some mechanical work to do in the house but nothing major. Getting closer.

  141. #141trukfan2009-07-29 14:24

    The crane is looking great Rick. Knowing absolutely nothing about cranes, why is the boom section nearer the machine smaller in size than the one's farther out? Is it b/c of how the load is carried, visibilty or just manufacturers preference.

  142. #142Rick Rowlands2009-07-29 15:23

    The lower boom section widens out as it narrows. Widens so as to stiffen the boom laterally. Since the boom pivots on two pins tapering the boom focuses the forces toward those two pins.

  143. #143trukfan2009-07-29 15:56

    I see. Thanks for the explanation.

  144. #144td25c2009-07-29 19:03

    Here is a picture of the block I carry on the k-12 truck crane.It's a 10 ton 4 part block made by "Upson-Walton co." of Cleveland ,Ohio.It's a nice block.It uses two 14 inch sheaves and wieghs 245 lbs.

  145. #145Rick Rowlands2009-07-30 21:24

    The upper boom section has been attached and the boom cables reeved. Just have the pendants to do next. Pulled the hoist rope off, cut about 20' off the outer end then reversed it on the drum. So now the "new" end which never payed off the drum will be the end doing the work. Of course with this crane I have two hoist drums. I think until I get the block done I will just use the single part line with a headache ball and a hook that I have around here. I wish I could find a decent block with at least one sheave but its not looking good.

  146. #146Rick Rowlands2009-07-30 21:28

    I wonder what happened to Denny. He probably doesn't even recognize his old boom!

  147. #147willie592009-07-30 21:37

    25c is going to turn a flip when he see these pics Rick. Found a three part line block on ebay. I hope this link works. http://cgi.ebay.com/MCKissick-crane...in_0?hash=item3ca43a45ad&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

  148. #148td25c2009-07-30 22:06

    Crane & boom looks great rick.The boom head on your crane looks identical to mine.What type of block came with the the k-12? 2 part ,3 or 4 part?Whats wrong with your block maybe sheave bushings?The k-12 is good for about 6,500 lbs of pull on a single line if the engine and clutches are up to it.Keep us posted rick,The k-12 crawler looks great!

  149. #149Rick Rowlands2009-07-30 22:15

    The old block was very light and had one sheave. The hook looked as if a blacksmith had hand forged it and was very crude. It reminded me of something the Romans would have used lifting blocks of stone for building the coliseum. I am going to reuse the sheave and am making up the rest from scratch. Found a good Crosby hook to use as well. I just have to drill some holes and weld it up, but probably won't have time to do it soon. 3 ton is plenty for right now.

  150. #150td25c2009-07-30 22:39

    I hear ya Rick,I have seen some nasty blocks & rigging on older cranes .The Crosby hook will work fine for building a new block as Crosby is king for rigging.I carry crosby clevis,hooks ,& safety latches on my wreckers and cranes.Crosby is a good product.

  151. #151dozerdave2009-07-30 23:26

    Hi guys, This is a super read and brings back many memories. I ran an Insley with a hoe front on it in 1958 or 1959. If I remember right we used Fullers Earth to clean up the bands. The company bought a Gradall then and put me on it and that was my last cable rig.

  152. #152Rick Rowlands2009-07-31 09:49

    I just bought this block on ebay and I'm going up to pick it up right now. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230354893735&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

  153. #153hapec122009-07-31 16:53

    Paint What color orange is that, factory or otherwise? Nice looking machine.

  154. #154td25c2009-07-31 19:58

    Great find on the block Rick and it is a 4 part to,thats a good pice on a block.It's hard to say what a new block would cost.Maybe 1,000 to 1,500 dollars for a crane block that size.I pay close to 300 dollars for 8 ton single sheave snach block's for the wreckers.Ebay is a good source for parts.

  155. #155td25c2009-07-31 20:14

    dozerdave,The neet thing about the old Insley's & crane's was the different attachments that could be fitted to them,they could be a crane,shovel,hoe,dragline,clamshell.I have used the cleaning agent "comet" on the drums to help shine them up.I guess any type of abrasive powder should work.Thats neet that you operated the Insley cable hoe,I never did run one.

  156. #156td25c2009-07-31 20:27

    hapec12,The factory Insley color was kind of a darker shade of orange.I agree ,Rick Rowlands K-12 crawler looks like it just rolled off the Insley assembley line.Dang,I guess I'l have to paint mine now.

  157. #157hapec122009-07-31 20:38

    L model Insley By the way 25c, I found me a L model The other day, and have it on lay away. I will get pics soon.

  158. #158Rick Rowlands2009-07-31 21:16

    It turns out the new block is about perfect for this crane. Four part line will make the hook move nice and slow, good for the work we'll be doing around here. I also got the one clutch back together tonight, and started assembling the pendants. I bought a spool of 7/8" wire rope at an auction and a bunch of rope clips on ebay which will work for the pendants. There are only two additional tasks remaining before the crane can be put back into service. The boom brake needs freed up and a new push pull cable installed for the engine clutch.

  159. #159td25c2009-07-31 21:25

    That's good to hear hapec12! I can't wait to see the pictures of the L on tracks.You will love it! It's hard to beat an Insley .John Deere built & designed the moldborad plow,and Insley built the crane.Keep us posted hapec12.

  160. #160td25c2009-07-31 21:57

    Rick Rowlands,I'm glad you found a 4 part block as that is what is needed when lifting heavier loads and reaching the load capacity on the k-12.My k-12 truck crane uses the push - pull cable on the engine clutch to.It sounds like you are getting close to operating the Insley.The adjustment on the inner shoes on the main drums is a little touchy.If memory serves me it takes a open end 7/8 wrench to adjust them.You want the inner brake shoes tight enough to lift the load yet there is a fine line as if they are to tight the main line drums wont freewheel back down.Hollar if you have trouble Rick.My k-12 works great but is in need of a paint job.

  161. #161td25c2009-08-01 22:09

    Here are a few pictures of some wrenches that I made to adjust the shoes on the Insley.It always pays to have an experienced mechanic on the job.As you can see in picture #3 my mechanic was not happy with the clutch adjustment,so we started over again and finaly got it rite.She was happy with it!

  162. #162willie592009-08-01 22:52

    LoL, I still have a few of those home made clutch wrenches in my box! Good pic of the mechanic giving you a tongue lashin' over the clutch adjustment.

  163. #163td25c2009-08-01 23:40

    I had some good help this afternoon ATCOEQUIP.Well,My little mechanic is picky about adjustments on cranes.

  164. #164hapec122009-08-02 09:16

    Wrenchs and Wrenchers: I'll soon begin to figure out what Special tools are needed for the L model. Every piece of equipment has Special tools for fine tuning. Probably be in trouble when the wife's Ajax comes up missing. And I see Cranes Aren't just for guys anymore.

  165. #165td25c2009-08-02 23:00

    Yep hapec12,I think the L will need similiar wrenches to adjust the clutches.I used the "Ajax"to help shine up the drums.I put a little on my pocket knife and slip the blade in between the shoes & bands to distribute the ajax into them.dozerdave mentioned "fullers earth" to clean up the clutches & bands.That would probably be the best.

  166. #166D2Denny2009-08-05 17:51

    Super job Rick! Your extension, repair and paint came out great on that old boom. Glad it got a good home. Just started on the Byers boom we traded. Stripping off all the old patches on the base section to figure out what it needs to be put back in service. Heading over to Brownsville PA for the National Pike Steam and Gas show tomorrow. Taking a friends recently restored cable D6 to play with. Last year there were over 40 old shovels, draglines, and hoes operating. Amongst all the BE's, Lorains, Northwesterns, Limas, and Bay Citys there were a few Insleys too. If you can get away I think you will find it well worthwhile. D2Denny

  167. #167Rick Rowlands2009-08-10 15:06

    Finished! Here is my list of work that we have done to the crane: traded Bucyrus Erie boom for proper Insley boom new boom section fabricated and repairs made to other two sections one clutch relined entire crane pressure washed and degreased entire crane repainted 20+ track pins replaced thus far new track idler wheel bearings new boom pendants new four part block replace the old "file across the starter terminals" ignition switch with a key and push button oil pressure gauge water temperature gauge new engine clutch cable replaced wood plug in fuel filter with proper pipe plug repaired clutch linkages unfroze boom brake lever reversed hoist cable on drum Greased every fitting that I can find (finding more every day) oiled everything that needs oiled

  168. #168dozerdave2009-08-10 15:53

    Hi Rick, The Insley looks great. I'll bet you are proud of it.

  169. #169td25c2009-08-10 20:27

    Job well done Rick!The K-12 crawler with the,New boom section,4 part block,paint job,and some TLC is now ready for business.Here is a pic of the lube& grease chart from my k-12 truck crane.

  170. #170Rick Rowlands2009-08-10 21:14

    Yes I have that chart too. It lies, as there are a hundred more fittings not mentioned on the chart. I'm having a lot of trouble with the reversing clutch. The one on the left side is very stiff, the shifting collar doesn't want to move very easily. So tommorrow I'll play around with it some more and see if I can get it adjusted right. The new friction material on that reversing clutch doesn't seem to want to engage very well. I hope I didn't get the wrong stuff. It seems a bit rubbery and not hard like the asbestos clutch lining.

  171. #171td25c2009-08-10 22:21

    I agree Rick,The chart only shows the lube & grease fittings on the unit.They left out all the fittings on the boom sheaves ,gantry,& block. Everything needs to be lubed & oiled on an Insley. It's like The scene in the old movie "The Wizard Of Oz" when Dorothy,scarecrow & the cowardly lion discover the tin man rusted up with an axe in his hand.They give him a few shots of oil an he is back in action.On the shifting collars I would use "PB Blaster" to free them up then keep them lubed with some oil.

  172. #172td25c2009-08-11 20:13

    I added some grease fittings Here is a picture of the mainline drum lever pivit points that I drilled & taped for grease fittings.Also keep the lock dogs on the brake pedals lubed & working free As you need them when setting a lift.One thing I like about the old K-12 Insley's is you can dog the boom & mainline down and the load will hang until the cows come home or the cable rusts and brakes.

  173. #173Rick Rowlands2009-08-12 22:17

    25c, the other day I was wondering why Insley didn't put grease fittings on those levers. Thats a good idea and someday I'll follow suit. BTW, does your hook descend by gravity by releasing the hoist drum brake? I was having problems with getting the swing dog to engage. It was very tight and took a lot of force to engage. So today I tore into it. Well I don't think I've seen such a bent up and destroyed mess as that swing dog. To start out with, the vertical 1.25" shaft going up into the cab was bent. This was causing the difficulty in actuating the dog. Secondly, the eyebolt which actually moves the dog was bent back on itself keeping the dog from fully engaging the ring gear anyways. It seems that at some point something really wrenched the dog mechanism. So I pulled it all apart, straightened the shaft and ordered a new eyebolt. However the old one snapped off in the 1 3/4" dia. piece of round stock that it screws into, so I found another piece of round stock (old Insley boom pin that came from D2Denny) and tomorrow I'll see if the machine shop next door will drill and tap it for 7/8 coarse thread. Then I can reassemble and maybe then the swing dog will work! I'm also having trouble with the swing clutch staying engaged. You won't have that problem 25c with yours being a truck crane, but on the crawlers there is a selector which engages either the tracks or the swing gear. The teeth on the swing clutch are worn so the teeth engage on a slope, and in so doing tries to ride up and out of engagement. The only thing holding the teeth in place is the shift mechanism, and with plenty of wear in every pin and connection there is enough slop to let it out. I made some adjustments, and am making up some new parts, and maybe I'll have that working good tomorrow as well.

  174. #174td25c2009-08-13 20:44

    Rick Rowlands,I thought the hand & brake pedals should have grease fittings,maybe we should complain to the INSLEY dealer about that ,HA HA! Seriously to answer your question about the main line drums,They dont have the "power down" feature.Just gravity after you release the brake.This Is why the adjustment on the inner mainline drum shoes is important.If its to tight the shoes will drag and the mainline wont freefall on an empty hook.Now my boom has "power down".Boom lever all the way forward puts it in power down ,then give the lever a quick snap back to stop the boom from descending.If I just lightly push forward boom lever it will lower the boom but its just slipping the boom drum brake band and not in power down.Here are a few pictures of my swing gear works.First pic is the swing brake under the seat,the rest is the swing gear works .If you look close I have the sliding clutch & shifting fork brackets.Also there is a cap for the driveline that would be used the the tracked version of the k-12

  175. #175Rick Rowlands2009-08-14 15:51

    Put a little open gear lube on those bevels! I changed the oil in the engine today. Put in 3 gallons of oil and still not showing on the dipstick. I think each oil filters holds 2 quarts and there are two so that accounts for a gallon. I'm going to be heading back over in a little while to pick up and move stuff, even if it doesn't need moved! I need to get used to the controls of the crane, and I'll report back as to my success ( or failure if I find something else that needs repair).

  176. #176Rick Rowlands2009-08-14 20:02

    She wanted 17 quarts of motor oil! I gave the crane a good workout this evening, moving a couple of runway beams and a couple of other pieces. The crane has a fine touch, swings each way very smoothly, and with the four part line the hook raises and lowers at a nice slow rate. Even travels both directions pretty well. So I'm a happy camper with the K12, and ready to put it to its first job next week, handling a concrete bucket as we pour piers for the Tod Engine building.

  177. #177td25c2009-08-16 18:14

    Yep I need to lube my bevles a bit.pouring the piers on the Tod engine building sounds interesting.Speaking of concrete I also have an Insley 3/4 yard concrete bucket.I think in the early days ,Insley was big in to concrete handling equipment making buckets ,pumps.I have also seen a picture of a concrete system that Insley made for big concrete pours.It looked like a grain leg maybe 100 feet tall and a pipe system comming off the top so they would mix the concrete at the base of the leg and it conveyed it to the top , then it gravity fed through a pipe to the pour site.This would have been in the early 1900's.I'll dig around for the picture and post it .Good luck with your concrete pour Rick.

  178. #178Rick Rowlands2009-08-18 22:14

    The Insley plate on the K12 says something about concrete equipment and excavators, but nothing about cranes! We'll be pouring the concrete on Thursday so I'll post some photos. Well then again since I'll be running the crane maybe we won't get many photos!

  179. #179Rick Rowlands2009-08-20 22:05

    We poured 9 yards of concrete today into four pier forms with the Insley. It worked perfectly and without any problems. I was quite pleased.

  180. #180td25c2009-08-20 22:39

    Looking good Rick,I use the same type of concrete forms.Great pics!

  181. #181notime19772009-09-06 12:32

    Really great work on restoring the Insley!

  182. #182heavylift2009-09-06 19:28

    You see these old cranes on iron planet... usually under $500 start various models are listed at times

  183. #183td25c2009-09-06 19:55

    Welcome heavylift,years ago we charged a $300 minimum to move the INSLEY to a job ,I agree ,We should raise it to $500 now days.

  184. #184blktppr2009-11-01 23:25

    wow what a post, and I will now ad to it by saying I have already received some great help from Rick on our newly acquired 1951 K12 serial number 5809. It is an old Army Corp of Engineers crane with a Hendrix drag line bucket. Dad has also acquired a Haiss clamshell bucket and a hook and sheeve for it. I will have to get some pictures on here. Do I need to put the pics on a site like photobucket in order to post them here, or can anyone enlighten me on picture posting.

  185. #185willie592009-11-01 23:29

    Welcome to the forum blktppr. :usa Once you get in three posts to any thread (except TGIF), you'll become a Junior Member and be able to add pics to a post/thread and not have to use a link like photobucket.

  186. #186td25c2009-11-02 20:45

    Welcome blktppr.Rick don a great job restoring his k-12 and has helped us as well.I also have a hendrix 1/2 yard dragline bucket for my k-12 truck crane.Look forward to seing your Insley.

  187. #187blktppr2009-11-02 21:05

    Thanks guys, Rick has seen pictures of our K12 and I will ad the addy where you guys can see a number of pics. 25c, I think it was one of your post's here where you said that they made boom sections in 10' and 20' and I was wondering if they ever made a 15' mid section as the one we got with our K12 measures right at 15', or did someone mess up the end of a 20' and decide to make it into a 15'? The auction listed the dragline bucket as a 1/4 yd, but it looks to me to be more like a 1/2-3/4 yd. Do you have the dimensions of your 1/2 yd bucket? Here is the web addy to the auction site where we bought our K12. www.bid-2-buy.com/wspages/bidbuy84.html and then either go into the "enter auction here" or "equipment"

  188. #188blktppr2009-11-02 21:54

    Does anyone know what a K12 weighs?

  189. #189td25c2009-11-02 22:16

    It's possible Insley made a 15' midsection.My great uncle would visit the factory and he tolled me they would build a crane & add options to suit the customers needs.Off the top of my head I'd say my 1/2 yard bucket is 3 foot wide by 5 foot long.I dont know what my truck crane weighs,police & DOT would allways pull out & pass me on the road.I would guess It's around 45,000 to 50,000 lbs.Them old Insley got allot of iron in them.

  190. #190dozerbill572009-11-02 22:20

    K12 Insley I have a 1964 K12 Insley, 15' butt, 15' head and a 20' insert , 353 detroit engine, engine runs strong , starts every time , travel needs adjusted , needs painting . I cleaned out a small lake 3 years ago , i have health issues and i shouldn't operate it do to neck surgery . I start Insley up about every 2 months . I will also throw i a Bucyrus Eris Tag Winder , a dragline bucket less hardware, (chains and shive ) a hook and shive all for $2,300.00 firm. If interested call Bill @ (502) 314-6435 :usa

  191. #191td25c2009-11-02 23:04

    Well howdy & welcome from south Indiana dozerbill57.Dang! thats very tempting.It sounds like your k-12 is set up good.My Wife would not be very happy seing another piece of equipment show up at our place.Hear is a good story,ATCOEQUIP will love this one.I bought my buddys td 15 dozer and I tolled him to keep this quiet as my wife and I had been arguing about another subject.Everything was going smooth then she pulled up to the shop and there sat the td 15.She gets out of the car and walks up to me then she stops and looks at the dozer.She looks back at me and ask's in an unforgiving voice "who's Dozer is that!"Thinking quickly I answerd that I thought it was the county highway department's dozer and tolled her they were going to be working on the road .I was in the clear for about 2 weeks untill my buddy's wife got to talking to my wife.Needless to say the jig was up and 25c caught hell for buying the dozer.

  192. #192willie592009-11-02 23:23

    Yep, you ain't going to avoid that one!

  193. #193td25c2009-11-03 00:01

    Women & Equipment We cant live with them and cant live without them.I have another idea.If I bought another crane, I'l tell the wife It's the state of Indiana's crane insted of the countys, and they are doing some bridge work in our area.The wife will catch on but if it's an Insley the but chewen will be worth it.

  194. #194Rick Rowlands2009-11-03 07:55

    My wife has never said a word to me about any equipment that I have acquired. Even when I filled half the garage up with a stationary steam engine and 10" rolling mill! She just wants enough room inside to park her Jeep.

  195. #195dozerbill572009-11-03 08:14

    Thanks for the welcome 25c , i had the same problem when i was married and in bussiness , she didn't complain when i took her on vacations 2 and 3 times a year , but when i would come in with D8H , 619 ,5800 Linkbelt, but now i am single and free and disabled . That happened too soon , not the marriage ending , the disability .

  196. #196Rick Rowlands2009-11-17 20:07

    I took the 20' extension off today, since the building is finished I won't need that length for a while.

  197. #197td25c2009-11-17 21:05

    Looking good Rick.I've never rigged my k-12 truck crane with 30 foot of boom.I could drive it on the road with 40 foot in it but I have to be careful at intersections ,road sighns ,power poles ,ect because of the 25 feet of boom hanging out in front of the cab.I may take a section of boom out now that I just use the Insley around the shop.Is that the todd engine building behind the crane?

  198. #198dozerbill572009-11-17 21:28

    I have my Insley for sale on the Equipment For Sale Site. Running condition 353 detroit , 50 feet of Boom ! :usa

  199. #199Rick Rowlands2009-11-17 21:31

    Yes it is.

  200. #200td25c2009-11-17 21:58

    Thats pretty neet Rick.I like the bridge crane.That Todd engine is huge.Compair it to the blue trash can & 250 gallon fuel oil tank at the left lower corner of the picture.

  201. #201TSK4152009-11-18 21:27

    Update on D icks's crane, he cleaned house not much of anything left

  202. #202classictruckman2010-01-09 15:21

    Anybody know where I can get a midsection bolt together boom for a 1956 Buycrus Erie 22B cheap? Looking at all of these pics has inspired me to start working on ours again as soon as the snow melts.

  203. #203dozerbill572010-01-09 18:36

    Boom Inserts Classictruckman is you 22-B Boom 30 " square angel iron ?

  204. #204classictruckman2010-01-09 22:08

    Yeah I need angle boom(should have specified that), but those sections don't look quite right, I think mine have 3 bolts at each connection instead of 2, but I'll check tomorrow.

  205. #205Rick Rowlands2010-11-27 16:27

    Here's an update on the Tod Engine building that my K12 erected. We finally erected the endwalls this year, and here is a shot of the front of the building. This was before the entrance door was framed in. The front of the building looks bare, but next year I will be installing a full sized display of a 175 ton capy. steel ladle bottom pouring an ingot mold. Over fifty tons of steel in this display, utilizing a real ingot mold, half of a steel ladle and a laminated steel crane hook. Delivering the ingot mold: Half of ladle and ingot mold. Ladle was cut in two to ship. http://inlinethumb11.webshots.com/45962 /2836936580033749120S600x600Q85.jpg

  206. #206td25c2010-11-27 19:07

    The building really turned out nice Rick.That ladle is huge,Should make for a good display.

  207. #207Rick Rowlands2010-11-27 19:42

    Thanks. Now the unpleasant part is that the K12 will have to go away. Its job is done, and I don't have room to keep the crane around here on our small site. I'm going to put it up for sale, and if there are no takers by spring for the entire machine I may part it out and scrap the rest. I see that Doozer had a hard time selling his K12 last year so that's not a good sign. I have not operated it at all this summer, for the simple reason that its far easier to move stuff around the site with either the forklift or the backhoe. The no power down boom really makes using it for anything other than a dragline or clamshell a real PITA.

  208. #208td25c2010-11-27 20:30

    Well hopefully you can find a good home for the K-12 crawler Rick.Be a dang shame to have to scrap it out.My K-12 has power down on the boom,but not on the main drums.Takes abit to get used to dont it bro.Gotta keep the drums shined up & clutches adjusted & she sets a load down like a baby.You done a great job restoring the crane Rick.

  209. #20969hayes2011-03-15 23:28

    Heres my old Insly, used to be used in our junkyard to move cars on to a crusher, when we shut down I could not let here go for scrap. It has a six cly gas flathead Budda engine in it but the head gasket went so I had to push it on to the lowbed with the Case 1000D,thats another story in itself, the boom must be homemade as I have never seen one like it, these pics were taken as we got the old girl off the lowbed and home.

  210. #210Rick Rowlands2011-03-16 11:04

    I sold my K12 to a fellow just down the street, so it appears that the crane will see a bit more life after all! $2,500.

  211. #211td25c2018-03-10 21:26

    Update on an old thread .... We did give " Old Roy " some new color last summer . He is alive & well ....

  212. #212colson042018-03-11 10:20

    Really neat thread. I'm glad you updated it yesterday, TD25C. Made for an interesting read while I'm on downtime sitting on a drilling rig in BFE.

  213. #213Tradesman2018-03-11 12:40

    I'm kinda upset with you TD I see your faithful old 25 sitting in the corner of that picture like an ugly step sister with faded paint, after all the years of dedicated service she's given you. " shame "

  214. #214td25c2018-03-11 16:07

    I should have updated it last summer . That's interesting your on a Drilling rig .

  215. #215td25c2018-03-11 16:11

    Will try to get the Grove painted this summer

  216. #216Tugger22018-03-22 09:53

    Good to hear of more K12 s alive out there. I have a 1952 K12 crawler that came to me as a backhoe. It was new with the city of Vancouver . I first aquired it in 1984 found a crane boom for it and converted it for lifting and subsequently sold it. It was given back to me about 15 years ago . I still have all the cable hoe parts and would like to convert it back as i seem to have more cranes than i need these days. Its got the 326 budda. Ill post some pictures when i get home.

  217. #217td25c2018-03-22 20:57

    Would love to see your K12 Tugger2 !

  218. #218ryanmueller2018-03-22 22:11

    I'd really love to find other attachments for my cranes. I got a 1952 bantam abm 53 truck crane and a link ls58 crawler both have clamshells and draglines.

  219. #219ryanmueller2018-03-22 22:15

    Here's a few pictures.

  220. #220td25c2018-03-23 21:57

    Keep up the good work Ryan ! Have a Hendrix bucket for the Insley just like the one on your Linkbelt .

  221. #221ryanmueller2018-03-23 22:40

    I also have a half yard mccaffrey clamshell

  222. #222Hank R2018-03-24 08:25

    You have great old toys there, like them all.

  223. #223Tugger22018-03-24 14:22

    My Insley isnt so shiny anymore,but its still hanging in there.

  224. #224ryanmueller2018-03-24 17:45

    Hey nice collection tugger2. Two 10b's and a 15b?

  225. #225td25c2018-03-24 18:59

    Cool stuff Tugger2 ! Your cab looks about identical to mine . Are these two levers for track engagement ?

  226. #226ryanmueller2018-03-24 20:15

    How is the power terrain laid out on those insleys? Do the have torque converters or transmissions? Can you run them down through the gears or does the boom have a sprag clutch like my link belt.

  227. #227td25c2018-03-24 20:24

    Boom has power down on mine . No torque convertor . All old school mechanical . Winch mainlines don't , all " feel" though the brake peddle when lowering a load . Ya get used to it after a few sets .

  228. #228ryanmueller2018-03-24 20:54

    can you disengage the main clutch and run down through the gears? Or does it boom up when you do that

  229. #229td25c2018-03-24 21:02

    No , can not run the main line's back though the gears due to the way the mechanical boosters work . It's all on the brake peddle when lowering a load on the main lines .

  230. #230ryanmueller2018-03-24 21:17

    My link belt is that way and my bantam is too but there is a leaver that disengages the boom shaft that allows you to run it through the gears but if you forget to re engage it and go to boom up or down it will free wheel down really fast and I'm sure you can guess how I found that out

  231. #231Tugger22018-03-24 22:15

    My Insley is free fall on the boom, Lever under the seat. The 2 levers with the ratchet handles steer it. I havnt run it for so long its a head scratcher at first. and yes those are two 10B s and a 15 b also have a 22B and a 25B in my yard at work. Also the full Bucyrus sand box set,just need a 30B and ive got all the small crawlers

  232. #232ryanmueller2018-03-25 00:10

    Here's a picture of me walking a 1947 Lima 34 out of a swamp where it sat for 10 years. It has free fall boom. This machine also has a shovel front

  233. #233ryanmueller2018-03-25 00:26

    This 35 ton p&h I've been running doesn't have power down so I've been getting good at just using the brakes. I've found it's a lot easier to pull back the clutch leaver just a little to provide a little drag to help slow things down. It also helps to put your finger right on the drum to feel slight rotation for precision work

  234. #234Tugger22018-03-25 22:21

    Nothing like digging swing clearance with your counterweight.Pile driving is interesting challenging work. Just found some old pictures, heres my Insley in the mid 80 s when i first got it .I just had to have a crane so i took the backhoe off and bushwacked an old crane boom on to it. Now if i get time im going to put the back hoe on to it again.

  235. #235alskdjfhg2018-03-25 22:35

    That looks familiar, I've got a 40ton P&H of the same vintage.

  236. #236ryanmueller2018-03-26 00:17

    Awesome picture. I've always wanted to run a backhoe and a shovel. That Lima 34 I work on has a shovel front but it's missing the sprocket that goes on the drum for the crowd. The previous owner scrapped it and was about to scrap the shovel front with it

  237. #237cliffhed2021-09-14 20:33

    When was the K 12 first made?

  238. #238InsleyGuy2021-09-14 22:12

    I think I have a production list in one of my manuals, I'll look tomorrow. Mine is a 1960, s/n K12111

  239. #239hapec122021-09-15 07:58

    I can not answer that.

  240. #240InsleyGuy2021-09-15 17:28

    The K10 and K12 started prodution in 1936. The last 3 K12's were built in 1971.