Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

K and SK owners you had better hope your fuel sender don’t go bad.

69zfarmer ยท 2013-06-29 07:39

My BIL's 580SK fuel guage quit working.I have determined it is the sensor inside tank.It cost's $225 plus shipping for a new one.It screws in from the bottom of tank weird looking sensor.It is aggrivating because of the bend in the filler neck you can't see down the tank or stick anything down it to see the fuel level.

Replies6
  1. #1mitch5042013-06-29 21:50

    Mine has been bad for 10 years.

  2. #2bowen2013-06-30 07:30

    I wonder how this thing works? I think I would order me an o-ring then drain the tank and take it out to inspect it. It's possible you could repair it or find a manufacturer part number on it. Is it really all enclosed as the picture shows? And how would you check it to be sure it's even bad? Could be the gauge or a wire problem...

  3. #3mitch5042013-06-30 09:20

    Checking it is easy, unplug the wire at the sensor, ground the wire and see if the guage swings full sweep.

  4. #4bowen2013-06-30 16:40

    So it must be a variable resistor deal just like some of the other ones. What does it have, like a cork float inside? If it's mechanical some trash might have the float or whatever it is, stuck. I thought it might be something fancy with that price tag. Mine for a 580SE was $65.00

  5. #5Zef_662013-07-02 07:38

    Mine hasn't worked since I bought it. I would love to fix it, but with the price of a new sender, its not really worth it. I just keep the tank topped off everyday. From what I've read, it is a mechanical sensor that reads position from a float through a variable resistor. So it shouldn't be too hard to fix, I wouldn't think. I may drain the tank someday and see if I can get it to work.

  6. #6bowen2013-07-02 08:02

    Well for me I would have to fix it... After the second time I ran out of fuel way back on the backside of the pasture I decided all that priming was worth at least the cost of the sender. And naturally it was starting to rain that second time... For rust issues inside the tank I am sure we should always keep the tank full anyway so maybe 19 gallons would eliminate any problem.