Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kamatsu d31a 17

Jody1974 · 2024-03-10 16:28

Got a d31 kamatsu dozer that was running fine left it setting for 3 months now when it starts it runs wide open? Throttle linkage isn’t stuck and is working at the pump? I had to choke it off at the breather to stop it? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Replies7
  1. #1Krackerjack92024-03-10 18:48

    was it running like faster than you ever had it on wide open with the throttel??? was it blowing any smoke?? Might want to check the oil and see if its higher than full,, if so you most likely have a injector stuck open and fuel is leaking past the piston and into the oill this could dilute the oil enough to where the oil could be fuel that is causing it to run wide open a very very dangerous situation. could eaisly turn into a runaway motor and destroy its self, I would also double check your linkage at the pump itself ... but if you start it again and it takes off you need to shut it down like you did so be prepared for it.

  2. #2Jody19742024-03-10 19:51

    the oil looks to be ok the linkage’s are all working I have cranked it twice and it ran pretty much wide open and was very hard to choke off I was actually wondering if it was gonna work last time. It does normally run rough when first started for a few minutes I’m sure it has a few leaking injectors.

  3. #3Krackerjack92024-03-10 21:46

    well I would run all this by a mechanic,, im not one persae but have seen deisel engines due what you have describe and its not pretty what happens... so maybe get a a oil anlaysis i think your can get some types of parts stores to check for fuel in the oil but for sure would get this checked out before anything else good luck and let us know what the final issue is

  4. #4Krackerjack92024-03-10 21:48

    im also looking at maybe getting a D31-17 not to far from me

  5. #5Dave Neubert2024-03-11 08:11

    the rack in the injection pump is stuck

  6. #6Jody19742024-03-12 09:26

    is there any information on repairing this any where?

  7. #7Dave Neubert2024-03-12 15:26

    I don't know what pump it has most likely a zexell probably have to go it to governor