Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kamatsu mini wont start

DeAnn Turner ยท 2018-07-26 15:14

Hi there, I hope someone can help here, I have a kamatsu pc14r mini ex, today I was digging it was running great I shut it down to talk with my Customer and fill up the fuel. I noticed my book was up so I tried to start again and nothing. I replaced the battery and when I turned the key all the panel lights came on and I could hear the fuel pump but it would crank. I flipped the deck and found the starter, I jumped the starter and it cranked but would fire up. I created longer jumpers and shut the deck just incase it has a sensor that stops in from starting while the deck is up and still nothing, it cranks over but wont start.

Replies11
  1. #1thepumpguysc2018-07-26 16:26

    If it shut down w/ the key, there must be a shut off solenoid on the injection pump.. allowing you to "jump" the starter but not activating the fuel.. I have no idea what type of injection system is on your machine?? or if it computer controlled?? If you could snap a pic.. that would speak volumes..

  2. #2DeAnn Turner2018-07-26 17:37

    I did figure out that it is some type of safety when I manually engaged the injector silonod it started but wont stay engaged

  3. #3DeAnn Turner2018-07-26 17:38

    I will run back and get a pic

  4. #4heymccall2018-07-26 19:40

    Does it look like this? #24

  5. #5DeAnn Turner2018-07-26 21:22

    Yep I got it so that I have to manually wire up the solenoid to start and unwrap it to stop it. It's a quick fix but it will get me to the job tomorrow. Thank you for your help.

  6. #6thepumpguysc2018-07-27 03:15

    I cant help w/ the safety switches.. but if that's a pic of the fuel system & sol.?? Those sol. are prone to dropping a relay.. {bad relay} especially if you sat there w/ the key ON.. even the solenoids can/will burn up internally..they have 2 coils.. 1 start & 1 run.. & its possible for 1 or the other to burn up..{3 wire solenoid} You gonna have to get some time & a volt meter to diagnose.. If your gonna "hot wire" the sol. to get your job done.. your prob. gonna burn it up.. so plan on a sol. in the very near future.. They aint cheap.. IF it were mine, I'd remove it, before I jumped it for any length of time..

  7. #7heymccall2018-07-27 05:37

    I think he's using mechanic's wire to physically hold it on, not "hotwiring" it.

  8. #8thepumpguysc2018-07-27 06:46

    That's MUCH BETTER than a hot wire.. Really no need to un-wire it.. just use your finger to move the lever.. Oh.. & unplug it, so its not in operation.

  9. #9DeAnn Turner2018-07-27 08:17

    Do you mean removing the cylon oi'd completely

  10. #10thepumpguysc2018-07-27 15:45

    Whatever is easier for you.. if tieing it up is working, just leave it.. just un-plug it from the electrical system.. until you have time to properly diagnose the problem..

  11. #11DeAnn Turner2018-07-27 22:30

    Thank you for the help, heymccall is correct it's not hot wired i manually have it held open with a piece of wire. So I have to u due the wire to shut the machine off.