Just wondering if anyone has purchased a Kaufman 25,900 tandem dually. I recently purchased one and picked it up from the manufacturer in North Carolina with my pickup. When I got home and set the trailer up (level) with the dump truck, I quickly realized that I was going to have a problem loading equipment on it due to the steep approach angle of the ramps. The beaver tail angle is fine, however the ramps either need to be lengthened or reconfigure the pivot point to get the angle less steep. Maybe someone else has purchased one of these trailers that and resolved the problem, or are they just living with the ramps the way they are. I've spoke to the sales rep and his boss, and it seems nothing can be done on their end to resolve this problem. Loading a skid steer the way it is gets a little scary if you have to back off. You can see in the pic that the ramp support is 7" away from the ground and will never do any supporting no matter how much load is on the trailer. Any thoughts?
Looks like the angle on the beaver tail could have been more steep to reduce the angle on the ramps. Looks like the easiest solution would be longer ramps. How long is the beaver tail and ramps?
Tail is 5ft, ramps are 5ft...I'm sure longer ramps would be the easiest solution...I'm just not happy about having to modify a new trailer to make it usable... I'm just surprised that noone else has brought this up with them and the ramp design fixed.
Looks like the pins and brackets for the ramps were welded high and at an angle. If they were angled down I think it would make a difference. Definitely seems like a design issue because they trailer looks level behind your truck but I don't see how the ramp supports can do anything now Brett
I have two towmaster tags both with 5'tale and 5' ramps. The angle of the ramps sure done look that steep. Could the front of the trailer be raised some? Might help a little?
You can see in the pic how high up the ramp pivot is in relation to the frame I removed the pin and set the ramp in line with the frame and you can see where the pivot would need to be relocated I'm just not excited about re-doing a brand new ramp...
I parked beside a friend's 10-ton Kauffman tonight. I'll look and maybe get a pic in the morning. I don't remember it being like that. His is a few years old, though.
I ended up extending the ramps two feet and adding an extra torsion spring to help get the ramps up. Manufacturer wasn't very interested in helping out much other than to say that the trailer was built as spec'd. Was quoted about $800 CAD to make the mods. I spent about $150 in steel and did it myself. BIG difference in loading...too bad it wasn't built slightly different with the ramps b/c other than that the trailer seems pretty good. (I can see having to repaint in a year or two though, maybe a PJ powdercoated trailer would have been the way to go??) http://youtu.be/iWw-jEnfdM8 http://youtu.be/c6UjpkI5sr4 A lot less scary loading up