Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

keeping ROOTS out of screens

xr4ticlone ยท 2016-01-30 22:29

We're looking to take over a small material pit and much of the remaining area has tree cover. I know from the owner that the roots can damage and screw up screens...I've googled but is there anything to put on a screen plant that will allow us to eliminate roots?

Replies7
  1. #1Jonas3022016-01-30 23:28

    Hand labor to keep the grizzly clear and work off any smaller ones that get though to the screen maybe a grizzly with sqaure holes would work well instead of just bars that the long skinny roots will fall though

  2. #2cdm1232016-01-30 23:53

    This, I had a kid working for me last summer one of his main job's, pull roots out of the pile after every bucket. Also for small roots clogging the screen I made a 12' long tiger torch so I didn't have to climb a ladder to burn off the small stuff.

  3. #3xr4ticlone2016-01-30 23:58

    A buddy told me of a Powerscreen that had some type of device on it....I drove across town to see it yesterday only to find it was no longer in the lot where he said it had sat for a year or more. arrrggghhh. I've googled that as well and not having much luck. I was thinking about welding rebar across the grizzly bars. I've been around dirt equipment for 10+ years but never got into screening or crushing past basic understanding. Finding out now that it's not something with much data online. Current owner is willing to 'train us' but I'd like to learn as much as possible because I can see from a novice standpoint there are a lot of issues...too small of equipment...poor help...inefficiencies. But I don't want to send a fortune on fixing things that roots have destroyed.

  4. #4xr4ticlone2016-01-31 00:01

    Labor isn't much of an option where the pit is located...that's one of the issues current owner has with this deal. I've got a partner and he's got a line to some good help but NOT for pulling roots.

  5. #5ol'stonebreaker2016-01-31 07:38

    Would it be possible to strip off the top 2-3 ft and sell as fill material there by eliminating a lot of the roots? Mike

  6. #6cdm1232016-01-31 12:18

    Biggest problem with roots isn't damage but clogging screen and slowing production.

  7. #7Ryan1512016-08-27 04:52

    Get a trommel screen. Problem solved.