Hi, With the cost of fuel going up how are the heavy haulers of this site offsetting the cost. Right now we charge $115 a hour for local moves across the bay area. Are people adding a fuel surcharge on top of the hour rate?
Company I work for charges a fuel surcharge. not sure how that works out dollar wise but so far no customer complaining
I don't call it a fuel surcharge, but when the price of fuel goes up 50 cents, I charge $5 hr moreper hour. Have raised my rates $10 since last fall. Most people understand, at 6mpg at 60 miles per hour, I burn 10 gal of fuel an hour, times 50 cents equals $5 increase in just fuel costs per hour. I only hope it levels off soon, the last time fuel went out of site it hit almost $5.00 a gal, around here it is running $4.15 a gal. George
I never get better than 5MPG ever. That's running empty on flat land. Loaded it differs with the type of load and routes. This last load I averaged 2.9 MPG. Average cost per mile was $1.40 And I'm still not home, have approx 800 miles to go once I get off loaded. However, with the FSC I got, the total price for fuel on average drops to 2.85 per gal from 4.08 per gal. that brings my cost per mile for fuel to .98.
How my old company offset fuel cost, they made friends with every place that had a deep fryer or used oil. We made a pump truck and with filters, another filter system in the shop pumped, filtered and blended the used fry oil into the fuel. 2k per month savings off the bat and we did not use a fancy engineered unit, the old school mechanic built it himself for less than 1k.
Used deep fryer oil makes fantastic fuel but I don't recommend adding it or using it as fuel untreated. The cooking process makes it a bit on the acidic side which can raise all kinds of h--- with engine components. I make biodiesel out of used deep fryer oil here and do it with a unit built in my shop too.
I have read the same thing in reference to your post, not knowing the full process since the shop was the one doing the final blend. Most of the time my job was to recover the used oil from various places and return it to the shop and pump it out into the holding tank outside, as a driver and operator I know whatever the final process was it was good enough to never have a issue with it and they must have followed something that you are doing to refine the fuel. Not being a mechanic so to say I kept out of the shop unless asked, the Master mechanic was old school and tended to be a little territorial unless he requested assistance, great man just not one to stick your nose in his business. lol