Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kenworth

Truck Shop · 2026-01-02 07:25

Strictly Kenworth built trucks. *

Replies318
  1. #1Truck Shop2026-01-02 07:27
  2. #2Truck Shop2026-01-02 07:28
  3. #3Truck Shop2026-01-02 07:30
  4. #492U 34062026-01-02 09:05

    I always thought it was funny when people thought Ford going to aluminum bodies and Ram coming out with air ride suspension was some sort of revolutionary development in vehicle technology. Meanwhile it was done 50+ years before then on commercial trucks.

  5. #5Truck Shop2026-01-02 10:09

    Much of today and tomorrow is a twist of yesterday, just computerized and covered in plastic marketed as a new idea.

  6. #6Truck Shop2026-01-02 10:18

    Todays design departments, key boards, monitors, mass computers, cubical office space. Nothing like the blueprint tables, calipers, T-squares, slide rules used years ago.

  7. #7Truck Shop2026-01-02 10:27

    I met a design engineer that worked for Kenworth from 1937 to 1977. He was walking his dog along the street by my brothers house, my brother introduced me to him. And he invited me down to his house where there was a large den. With shelves of old copies of his designs/ blueprints plus scads of Kenworth intercompany awards plus all kinds of marketing posters. He worked the oil field division of design. Interesting fellow to say the least, that was in the 80's.

  8. #8JaredV2026-01-02 11:08

    When I was a kid in the early '90s, the school district was still running a couple of KW buses with some sort of gas engine that would vapor lock. If it happened, it was always on the same part of the route so we'd stop in front of the church and shut er down for a few minutes. I've always wondered what the engine was, maybe Hall Scott? I still bump into the driver but never think to ask if he knows.

  9. #9Truck Shop2026-01-02 11:09

    The simple days of wiring. *

  10. #10Truck Shop2026-01-02 11:16

    Basic Westinghouse air brake schematic. *

  11. #11Truck Shop2026-01-02 11:18
  12. #12mekanik2026-01-02 11:47

    I replaced this ammeter under warranty on a early 1980's Kenworth because the needle was not centred. Its been in my tool box for over 40 years. There are two 1/4" fine thread studs on the back. One post had heavy wire with the power from the breaker in the battery box connected the other post had a cable from the alternator a heavy wire to the ignition switch and another heavy wire that fed power to the battery breakers in the dash. Not a great design.

  13. #13Truck Shop2026-01-02 12:02

    That was standard issue wiring for amp gauges. I've never liked amp gauges, volt meters are simple, reliable, and way less heavy wire. But years ago the theory was using amp gauges was the way to go.

  14. #14Truck Shop2026-01-02 12:04

    Bus in top photo is a rare bus to find these days, I know of one, and there's one restored, powered by a pancake Cummins.

  15. #15Truck Shop2026-01-02 14:15
  16. #16Truck Shop2026-01-02 21:48
  17. #17Truck Shop2026-01-02 21:49
  18. #18Truck Shop2026-01-02 21:51
  19. #19Truck Shop2026-01-02 21:57

    It's not hard to see where the idea for center stanchion for AG100 8 bag air ride suspension came from in second photo up.

  20. #2092U 34062026-01-02 22:46

    People think I'm lying when I tell them the only aluminum on my W900A's cab are the doors and rear cab wall. Wonder how common the steel cab was? I have it stripped down in my garage and honestly it looks so wimpy. I'm actually kind of impressed some of these trucks are still on the road after 40+ years.

  21. #21Truck Shop2026-01-03 03:40

    All truck cabs look frail when stripped all the way down. Part of that is the reason those lasted, if built too stout cracks from vibration wouldn't take long and be transferred throughout the cab. It would turn it into a drum.

  22. #22Truck Shop2026-01-03 03:56
  23. #23Truck Shop2026-01-03 04:01
  24. #24Truck Shop2026-01-03 04:12
  25. #25Truck Shop2026-01-03 04:13
  26. #26Truck Shop2026-01-03 04:20
  27. #27Truck Shop2026-01-03 04:22
  28. #28Pops522026-01-03 11:33
  29. #29Truck Shop2026-01-03 11:51
  30. #30Truck Shop2026-01-03 11:52
  31. #31Truck Shop2026-01-03 11:56
  32. #32Truck Shop2026-01-03 11:58

    Note the date on bottom image wide hood.

  33. #33BC Placer gold2026-01-03 12:00

    Great info, old drawings are very nice to study. Just don't get that look anymore. Horsepower deductions interesting....thanks for taking the time for posting!

  34. #34Pops522026-01-03 12:13

    So the 1st wide hood would have come in the 64 model year?

  35. #35Truck Shop2026-01-03 12:34

    Actually 1962. One below is a 1962 *

  36. #36Truck Shop2026-01-03 12:37
  37. #37Truck Shop2026-01-03 15:36

    If not the first one of the very first 900 series built starting in 1956, W923. *

  38. #38mekanik2026-01-03 16:46

    It would have had a Gemmer manual steering gear or maybe Vickers power steering. I rebuilt quite a few Gemmer gears. They came with three different internals one was seven turns lock to lock one was nine and for manual steering eleven turns.

  39. #39Truck Shop2026-01-03 18:35
  40. #40Truck Shop2026-01-03 18:38
  41. #41Truck Shop2026-01-03 18:41
  42. #42Truck Shop2026-01-03 18:43

    1924-2nd year.

  43. #43Truck Shop2026-01-03 21:09
  44. #44Mr. Wrench2026-01-03 21:21

    I have been seeing alot of pictures of KW's that look like that meanly the yellow one. What is it called, an early W900, something else? Is that what they called a Needle Nose or was that a Peterbuit? Also what years did they make that style?

  45. #45Truck Shop2026-01-03 22:26

    Narrow nose--were 1940 to 1955 was 500 series, narrow nose from 1956 to 1967 was 900 series. From 1962 to 1982 was W900 series wide grille. Within the 1940 to 1967 there were many models built from 500, 800, 900 series. 1935 to 1939 were called Shovel Nose because of the slanted grille. Pete's were know as needle nose, For me I never used either term, I went by years. The one below is a 1958 with fiberglass fenders, a 923. *

  46. #46Mr. Wrench2026-01-03 22:32

    So that truck is a 1958, 900 series and the 23 indicates the options that it has?

  47. #47Truck Shop2026-01-03 22:40

    Correct.

  48. #48Truck Shop2026-01-04 06:25
  49. #49Truck Shop2026-01-04 06:27

    Pre 40's Shovel Nose. *

  50. #50Truck Shop2026-01-04 06:54

    1951 three man cab custom built {one-off} powered by a Hall Scott V12 Defender. 2181 cubic inch, 600 horse power. Owner lived in Bend Ore. It had heating issues and caught fire-burned to the ground on Hyw 97. Custom built by Kenworth. OHC engine like many of Hall Scotts. *

  51. #51Truck Shop2026-01-04 07:01

    Kenworth/Boeing promotional photo of joint venture of a turbine powered truck. *

  52. #52Truck Shop2026-01-05 12:51
  53. #53Pops522026-01-05 16:25

    That yellow spreader truck in post 44 caught my eye. It belonged to Madonna Const. In San Luis Obispo. The owner of the tanker outfit i drove for in Santa Maria ran that spreader when he was younger. I had a chance to buy it a number of years ago. The background looks like where I saw it near morro bay, ca.

  54. #54Truck Shop2026-01-05 17:11

    That photo/image was sent to me by someone who lived in that area.

  55. #55Pops522026-01-05 17:19

    Aaron?

  56. #56Truck Shop2026-01-05 17:23

    Doesn't sound right, although it's been over 6-7 years ago.

  57. #57Truck Shop2026-01-05 19:05
  58. #58Truck Shop2026-01-05 19:06
  59. #59Tenwheeler2026-01-05 19:15

    My wife and I went through a car museum in Los Vegas. We rafted the grand canyon and had a day lay over before going home. We just showed up, paid and waiting while they were trying to find a tour guide. Another man came in behind us and was standing there. Waiting for the tour we assumed. Finally he said " I will take them myself " . Ended up he owned the place. Great guy! He spent 20 times more on gas firing up hot rods then the tour cost. There was a truck cab similar to that there. Yellow, V6, Zoomies, Hillborn injection? Yellow flat bed. Said it was one of the trucks that built the Hoover dam. ( As best I remember ). Great place to visit if you go there and it is still in operation.

  60. #60Truck Shop2026-01-05 21:39
  61. #61Truck Shop2026-01-05 21:41

    And a well used 1949 524. *

  62. #62Truck Shop2026-01-09 18:34

    $999,999 buys. *

  63. #63Pops522026-01-09 19:10

    There’s your chance!

  64. #6492U 34062026-01-09 19:33

    I honestly think I prefer Freightliner to the new Kenworths.

  65. #65Mr. Wrench2026-01-09 20:13

    That is an awesome truck! I love rotators! Does it have an X15?

  66. #66Truck Shop2026-01-09 21:25

    When it comes to these late ones, yeah Kenworth has it's many issues. Trying to live off the past.

  67. #67Truck Shop2026-01-09 21:32

    Yeah, in order to make it profitable a population base of minimum one million with a minimum of four major freeways to keep it running around the clock with 2.5 drivers in 24 hours. The overhead of operating that is silly. Could own 3 used 50 ton units cost less initially with way less overhead, as hook insurance coverage. A truck like that can't set for 24 hours, that's so many used for sale.

  68. #6892U 34062026-01-09 21:40

    I'm curious what KW has planned to replace the C500. There's still a market for it out this way. I don't see the T880 being up to the task of rig moving in the patch. Do they even offer the T880 as a twin steer?

  69. #69Truck Shop2026-01-09 22:25

    To be honest--I don't what they offer in that department, but I can't see them removing the 500 from the lineup.

  70. #70Truck Shop2026-01-10 11:11

    Only two options, X15 or Paccar engine. That one is X15 with Allison.

  71. #71Tyler d4c2026-01-10 16:12

    Why where the 380 cummins for export only?

  72. #72Truck Shop2026-01-10 17:26

    Could have been any number of reason dealing with export controls including emissions even back then.

  73. #73Tyler d4c2026-01-10 19:35

    I thought it may come to that e word

  74. #7492U 34062026-01-12 19:54

    Anybody know off hand how thick the plywood floor is supposed to be on the steel A-cab? Been almost a decade since I threw the old rotten floor out. I'm measuring about 5/8" along the sills so I'm assuming that's correct. I can't see the floor being higher than the sill.

  75. #75Truck Shop2026-01-12 19:58

    Correct.

  76. #76Truck Shop2026-01-13 17:38

    Model 953 with a Holmes 850 40 ton. *

  77. #77Truck Shop2026-01-14 14:29

    600 horse power C16 with very low mileage.

  78. #78Mr. Wrench2026-01-14 17:55

    Nice truck! Maybe a little light for the load Did they use many C16 in trucks?

  79. #79Pops522026-01-14 18:29

    I’d buy it but the thing has too many stacks.

  80. #80Truck Shop2026-01-14 18:50

    That belongs to HEF member--Kenworth. It's in exquisite condition. I posted it because it's one of the nicest W900L's I've seen and I needed one to post, IIRC it is a 1998.

  81. #81Truck Shop2026-01-14 18:55

    Only a rough 15% were built/ordered with a C16. Most all are C15 475, 500, 550. And I could be wrong that it's 600 horse power, it might be 625, they made some of those. I've only worked on one 625. It's been a few years since I saw it last.

  82. #82Pops522026-01-14 19:26

    If I were a single man I could live in it. I’d put a picket fence around the bed, lawn chair, grill and a fridge and watch the world go by/end!

  83. #8392U 34062026-01-14 19:31

    I've always been more a standard length hood fan. More proportional looking as a daycab. With a studio sleeper the long hood definitely looks good.

  84. #84Truck Shop2026-01-14 21:05

    That one is becoming the Last of the Mohicans.

  85. #85kenworth2026-01-15 09:47

    Thank you for the compliment on my truck. It was Great to have you come visit and look it over. You are always welcome to come by if you're in the neighborhood.

  86. #86Truck Shop2026-01-15 14:30

    A 1999 with a C16 600 hp, Chalmer suspension, one locker, eighteen speed, removable vinal graphics. Would make a great lowboy tractor. For sale in Deary ID. *

  87. #87Truck Shop2026-01-19 17:33
  88. #8892U 34062026-01-20 20:57

    To me that's a truck. I would pick that any day of the week over anything else.

  89. #89Truck Shop2026-01-20 21:53

    Remember, there's a seat for every a-- and a a-- for every seat, that's what a salesman told me years ago, he sold a variety of seats for every a-- for over 45 years.

  90. #90Truck Shop2026-02-02 19:01

    1935.

  91. #91DMiller2026-02-16 18:20

    From the 79 K100C to what I have now, and from running a 990 ONE TIME at last employer, I am Still Glad have my Blue beast. Bundle of Time and effort, will not ever be perfect, is fine for me.

  92. #92DMiller2026-02-16 18:24

    A Retirees Treasure

  93. #93BC Placer gold2026-02-16 19:53

    Looks great! Nice low profile and short stack perfect for towed unit. Looks like nice camping weather...

  94. #94Truck Shop2026-02-16 21:52

    Nice truck.

  95. #95Truck Shop2026-02-16 22:01

    I might go pick this up tomorrow, I offered $23,500 for with 48,000 miles a 2022. *

  96. #96Pops522026-02-16 22:30

    You will need some of those spinning gizmos for the wheels…..

  97. #97bccat2026-02-17 00:00

    TS, I have a 2025 frontier pro4x, bought it last June. Very happy with it. No turbo, lots of power, stiff steering took a little while to get used to it, but like it now. I sold my 1965 chevelle SS and bought the frontier, my wife says it’s my last Frontier, cheers

  98. #98Truck Shop2026-02-17 01:48

    Those are against the law in this state, those are only allowed in California.

  99. #99Truck Shop2026-02-17 01:57

    Yeah I don't want anymore usa made vehicles, have had two Nissan cars. The Altima we have right now is a 2017 with 19,300 on it. My ranger is starting the nickel dime stuff at 20 years old. Just don't want to mess with it.

  100. #100Pops522026-02-17 11:31

    Those spinner gizmos are dangerous. They seem to develop some kind of harmonic gyroscopic imbalance that causes the vehicle to crash or end up in a snow bank on Donner Pass.....

  101. #101Truck Shop2026-02-17 11:39

    I don't know haven't seen those around here for a long long time. Although the in thing here is having car with three of the four tires hide-a spares and clipping 80 mph while texting.

  102. #102Truck Shop2026-02-17 19:47

    Decided not to go that route, not at my age, waste of money on something I won't put that many miles on. So I finish what needs to be done at this point, front bearings and axle C/V shafts, A/C compressor, power steering pump, muffler and few other small items. Then take it to a reliable paint shop here and have it repainted. Every thing works inside. Cooling system, hoses, timing chains, injectors, ignition, alternator, starter have all been replaced along with front brakes, just need to do the back ones. Insurance is cheaper, fuel mileage is roughly the same as new stuff. The body has zero rust or dents, straight as a pin, so fix and drive it out till can't drive anymore. *

  103. #103DMiller2026-02-18 05:58

    Sounds as my Old Ford pickup. Other than fixing the rust.

  104. #104Truck Shop2026-02-18 07:39

    Yeah--rust is not a factor in this ranger, body shop I had give a ballpark on it yesterday was impressed by the shape it was in. Original aluminum factory wheels are corroded but that's it, and I might buy a new set of those. There is maybe 16 hours worth of mechanical work and that's not working very hard either. I paid $6,000 for it in 2013 have spent around $3,900 in parts on it during 13 years, it had 55,000 miles on back then and 159,000 now so it's done a real good job.

  105. #105DMiller2026-02-18 07:56

    350k on my Ford. Will be around awhile. Well worth the $14k I put in it.

  106. #106Truck Shop2026-02-18 08:50

    I've never been one to put mass miles on my vehicles, for the fact I kept my travel distance to work close by. This one is the most I've ever run miles up, I don't like buying gas & tires.

  107. #107DMiller2026-02-18 10:34

    Left seat belt retract/inertia mechanism fell apart a few years back just laid it across shoulder and lap as hung slack. Tried salvage and fleabay not ever found one any better so had given up. Then local Popo decided I was worth a pullover. No ticket but suggested I find a fix for this. Explained the issues as 26 years old, obsolete 14 of those. Deaf ears. Tried a few sites for repairs, no parts as unique to 99-02 so tried a different approach. New belt system is duplicate of those in Blue, from PACCAR. Contractor furnished but latch is same design. Made some mods to OE Floor mount. Removed rivet swivel on Headliner support added a bolt and swivel spacer. Should last life remaining in truck. Retracts and Inertia work was all I needed. Removed the sidewall slack latch from new belt.

  108. #108Truck Shop2026-02-18 10:42

    Seat belts is one item I don't have to worry about, Gayle has a box full of them from all the ranger rebuilds he did along with tons of other parts.

  109. #109DMiller2026-02-18 15:35

    Stupid Ford, only time this style produced for extended cabs was 99-02, 03-05 was door mount, also a flop, then started seat direct mount, the seat changed design and will not bolt in earlier units.

  110. #110DMiller2026-02-18 15:41

    Then the brutal part of KW Had a steer QR1 fail, spewing air on apply. So attained a replacement and that is where went to *****. Thru bolt nutted to Under Radiator Crossmember. 6mm bolts only access to Nuts AND Washers on back side is either remove radiator or fight thru access hole beneath for wp suction supply. And that is the new one mounted up. Nearly 2.5 hours for three lines two bolts, ranks right up there with other blind nut mountings KW is famous for

  111. #111Truck Shop2026-02-18 17:08

    KW has their Fiat moments.

  112. #112DMiller2026-02-18 17:11

    They all do

  113. #113Truck Shop2026-02-18 17:51

    Fiat corrected there's.

  114. #114Truck Shop2026-02-18 18:39
  115. #115Pops522026-02-18 20:28

    Mr Dobbas had a nice lookin bunch of trucks.

  116. #116DMiller2026-02-19 05:39

    Hard to imagine still has Tube Tires and split ring rims.

  117. #117Truck Shop2026-02-19 09:04

    Not really--Those are a wanted item amongst the antique crowd, I sold a small pile of 5 hole aluminum in pretty good condition at a truck show. Had a total of 20 @ $100 a piece, one guy bought the lot.

  118. #118DMiller2026-02-19 10:47

    Unless changing on their own is almost none here will. Can see show quality but liability?

  119. #119Truck Shop2026-02-19 13:37

    Oh I wouldn't have anything to do with them this day & age, but if someone wants to buy, I'll sell. I don't know anyone using those except antique restoration.

  120. #120GunnieSacked2026-02-19 22:29
  121. #121Truck Shop2026-02-20 02:22

    Obviously a OO---just two steps ahead of creditors.

  122. #122DMiller2026-02-20 15:48

    Loads of Sitting too long issues with old Blue. Currently chasing down engine fan failure to air unlock. No power all along circuit in engine compartment. KW here sent me wiring Scheme for that for my chassis, three Accessory Relays on lower row of Fuse block, At least One is the feeder so looking there and as been in the dash A LOT over the last couple years need to look to Parking Side Pressure switch if was even wired in to see if it is functional. Do love a challenge at times.

  123. #123Truck Shop2026-02-20 18:27

    Setting is a killer, I take the tow out every three weeks unless I just made a trip. Air systems have a way turning to crap without psi.

  124. #124Truck Shop2026-02-24 17:30
  125. #125JaredV2026-02-24 18:59

    It just ain't the same...

  126. #126Truck Shop2026-02-24 19:09

    Like I said in the vintage thread, Nothing is what it once was and will never be again. Same with people, what someone was at 24 sure as hell isn't at 74.

  127. #127mowingman2026-02-24 20:17

    Truck Shop, do you have any photos and info about an old Kenworth truck, probably from the 60's or 70's, that was "almost" a cabover. While on a project in north Miss., back in 1977, I saw an old Kenworth tandem dump on our project. It was almost a cabover, but had sort of a "snub nose" appearance. I had never seen one before and have not seen one since. Weird looking rig.

  128. #128Tyler d4c2026-02-24 20:38

    Bull nose k wopper

  129. #129Mr. Wrench2026-02-24 21:05

    Can you tell us more about this truck? Year, engine, logging, heavy haul?

  130. #130mowingman2026-02-24 21:25

    Nope, this is not it. Truck had a "little nose" like this, but narrower. Looked like engine may have extended into a small "dog house" in the cab. Truck sure did not have much of a "snout".

  131. #131mowingman2026-02-24 21:26

    All I remember, is that it was a heavy duty, tandem axle, Kenworth dump truck that hauled sand for our project. Maybe take a T600, and chop off about 2/3 of the nose length.

  132. #132Truck Shop2026-02-24 21:33

    Kenworth produced some one off's, Bullnoses spanned the late 40's to mid/late 50's. Model 825's, stationary cabs. It's the new improved version of the C500, some like it some don't, it represents modern ideas- change. I'm just glad there was someone who came up with a auto-drip coffee maker. You can haul what ever you want on it.

  133. #133Truck Shop2026-02-24 21:46

    The only model representing what you are talking about is the {S} series. The precursor to the T600/800 ant eaters. Production on those was not long only about 3 years worth and are rare these days. It was the first sloped nose narrow grille Kenworth built. Production actually started in late 1963 ending in late 65/66. Could be bought with 335's 5x4's, 10 spds and any rear suspension available at the time. *

  134. #134Truck Shop2026-02-24 21:47

    When Kenworth came up with the Anteater idea--they just looked back through the {S model} archives.

  135. #135Mr. Wrench2026-02-24 21:48

    That one doesn't have a radiator!

  136. #136Truck Shop2026-02-24 21:53

    No it's kind of slim on some parts.

  137. #137Truck Shop2026-02-24 21:55

    A crazy aussie built this {S} into a hydraulic tilt mess. *

  138. #138mowingman2026-02-25 10:39

    Yes, you have nailed it. The short production run is probably why I had never seen anymore of these. Thanks for the info and photos

  139. #139Truck Shop2026-02-25 14:21

    I went back to check years of model {S900}. The years of production was 1961 to late 1963. All produced with older 900 cab with one long straight door hinge. Cabs changed in 1964 to a vertical hinge up to wing vent, although there were early model 900's with pre-1964 cab built all the way to early 1967. *

  140. #140Truck Shop2026-02-25 14:24

    As a kid I saw many of these in single axle models used in the Yakima lower valley to pull straddle trailers.

  141. #141Truck Shop2026-02-26 07:57

    The thought that Kenworth was being outdone by Dodge for the Ugly Award and biggest pile to work on caused Kenworth to build the S model to compete. *

  142. #142JaredV2026-02-26 09:57

    Is that an airbag suspension?

  143. #143Pops522026-02-26 10:08

    I can picture the navy Seabees using it to pull a 3 axle lowbed.

  144. #144Truck Shop2026-02-26 10:32

    I've been waiting for someone to ask that question. It was listed at the bottom of page 1 of this Kenworth thread * Yes, buy something that parts can't be had for later on.

  145. #145DMiller2026-02-26 12:49

    Owned a Torsion Ride, do not ask! Got control circuits functional again for my engine fan, still no unlock, Wisp of air from Solenoid exh port so new relay on way. BTW, Bottom Right center of three or No 2 relay was crap, replaced the three as was second unit Crap and third??? Said screw it. Red wire in Ign Side feed slot at Top has its own inline fuse, Elec Brake Controller

  146. #146Truck Shop2026-02-26 13:55

    Be glad it has a fiberglass distribution box. The earlier had a metal box and it gathered moisture, The entire bottom row of relay & breaker connections would rot. I replaced at least 5 of those boxes at a price of $1000,00 each. * Everything your holding {solenoid} looks original, so no doubt it's lived it's life.

  147. #147Truck Shop2026-02-26 18:54

    In 2026 there are so many clone W900A Long hoods running around, even if it's said to be original--more than likely it's not. Two companies that build hoods are always 2 months behind orders. Can either move cab and mounts back or move front frame horns ahead 11.5" and add to frame. *

  148. #148_Weldman_2026-02-26 20:24
  149. #149Truck Shop2026-02-26 20:56

    Not a bad price for what it is, but many parts are special. A person would have a special reason to need it. Not a speed wagon either. What it would make is a perfect undercarriage for a high power recovery/tow unit.

  150. #15092U 34062026-02-28 12:11

    Nowhere near as nice as the C500 but still 10x nicer than anything Kenworth currently builds.

  151. #151Truck Shop2026-02-28 13:18

    Time moves on everything transitions nothing stays the same. 25 years from now someone will be saying the same thing about the new model to replace the C580. I don't really care for the T990, I drove one back to shop recently. But I will say the extra width/room in cab was way overdue and was reasonably quiet, not too quiet but just right. * I just hope no one redesigns the chocolate chip cookie.

  152. #152Truck Shop2026-03-02 16:19

    Lana is a 849.

  153. #153Truck Shop2026-03-02 16:20

    Dinky is a 850. *

  154. #154Truck Shop2026-03-02 16:23

    Mr Ed is a unknown, built with KW cab and a Mack steer axle. Could have been grafted from a 850.

  155. #155DMiller2026-03-05 14:22

    Rains blew thru last night like a dose of salts thru a alcoholic, as came to a end chains came off tractor, blade got yard parked and the Allis placed on Tools side of shop, Blue went into shop as ground circuit for engine fan is throwing up. New solenoid and a new relay has the fan somewhat disengaging, At Times but not always. Have some aspects needed Warm and under roof to help deal.

  156. #156DMiller2026-03-07 10:47

    Cut this out of Ground circuit, laid a new ground cable from Starter lug to Engine block a s another to frame as well repaired the main ground to frame. Seems some better as to overall functions. Original ground bolted to block at Dipstick tube retainer, that is now in its own Block Boss.

  157. #15792U 34062026-03-07 15:29

    I don't know how well this new cab will hold up. A few people have told me they don't seem to have the build quality of the B cab.

  158. #158Truck Shop2026-03-07 21:35

    Roughly 1975, piggy backed from Seattle to Oklahoma City. *

  159. #159DMiller2026-03-08 05:16

    Had a series of 990s come to last employer. Sound deadening was quite better but overall the cabs felt ‘cheap’, tinny. Small stuff as Hood Fender extensions to cab were tender, cracking, could not take a great deal of flexing. Wiring absolutely sucked as were moving to the New School CANBus in last years of 900s where the 990s went all in. Do not see longevity in the PACCAR Unicabs going on KW and Petes with minor Superficial changes. Like the difference GMC or Chevrolet.

  160. #160Truck Shop2026-03-08 07:57

    Thing about trucks, trucks of all kinds all brands, sit in one hour after hour or constantly working on them spending a life time, not part time, not half time but a life time you'll see why it takes years to transpire. * Trucks unlike most other things with cabs, have tendency's to suffer from body/cab changes only every 20 to 40 years. The first 500 series cab a run from late 1939 to 1955, then used in 900 series to 1963, with leftovers being constructed all the way to 1967--28 years. * {A} model cab was first introduced in late 1963 and constructed up to 1982.--19 years. * {B} model cab was first introduced in late 1982 and constructed up to 2025 with last of that type being delivered in 2026.---43 years of that basic design. * Peterbilt built the low cab from post war 1946 to 1972 with minor changes--26 years Then in 1973 production of tall cab was introduced and constructed with some minor and some major changes right up to 2026.---53 years. * Both Kenworth and Peterbilt stayed with designs way after it was practical, imagine if car/pickup manufactures made no changes in basic body designs, it would get real stale real fast. With electronics controls being what it is, the cabs were running out of room to stuff all the electronic gizmos wanted by the public that the auto industry offered. Anyone working on a PacCar product of lets say just 25 years old with a B cab is night & day over one built in 2025. PacCar was stuffing 100 pounds of sh-t into a 10 pound bag. The cabs had to change and should have changed long ago. The idea of trucks being built for viable use after 20 years is over. One of the big reasons Kenworth has 14% and Peterbilt 16% of truck market piece of pie sales, is because they stayed with a antiquated design. Freightliner on the other hand moved on and lassoed 40% of sales. * Times have changed, the average public just wants workable not cool. Cool doesn't pay the bills or make anymore revenue. The other part is it's just a truck, a utility piece, this show car idea/ stuff was driven by a generation that can't let go of the past, I'm at fault for it too. * And too make that point of past, the wine industry is on it's way down. Wineries around here have experienced a 20 plus percent drop in sales. Some are setting on so much unsold inventory with very low orders each month, some are not going to harvest the grapes next year. It's a boomer driven industry, getting old, drifting away. Younger generations in many cases could care less about popping a cork. And change has a positive side.

  161. #161Truck Shop2026-03-08 11:25

    Plus the average weight of male in 1955 was 150 lbs, in 2025 200 lbs with average drivers dressing out at 230 lbs. So yeah truck cabs needed to expand for size of drivers too.

  162. #162couesaddict2026-03-08 23:57

    Refreshed an old 900 last year. 7fb out of frame rebuild. Running good so far.

  163. #163couesaddict2026-03-10 13:30

    Here’s an example of a poorly spec’d out kenworth in my opinion. 80,000lb gvwr super 16 with a C-11 and a 10spd…. She’s a DOG!

  164. #164Truck Shop2026-03-10 18:09

    Very common, can carry lots of weight with lots of training wheels, big steers with big axle. When that stuff is added up, out comes the reducing pencil {Where can I cut a corner?} the rest of the drive train.

  165. #165Tyler d4c2026-03-10 18:11

    Flat land truck here in PA in the coal rich area tri axles @73280 youd be hard pressed to find one from the modern age say 2000 or so and newer with less then 500 donkeys

  166. #166Truck Shop2026-03-10 18:15

    Drove it back this morning, nothing impressive, because dashes were moved out to allow more electronics--less room. It's a good thing KW is stopping 900 production. Funny thing was all the company trucks headed east, drivers trying to figure out who was behind the wheel, never picked up the mic. Parked in shop for detailing. *

  167. #167couesaddict2026-03-10 18:41

    This one was born in ‘73 with a 1693 and 5x4 transmissions. Has a 4mg b model in it with an 18spd now. One of our main transports and a nice old truck to drive.

  168. #168Truck Shop2026-03-10 22:14

    I took this photo years ago at a thrashing bee at Olmstead St Park. Belonged to Pat Stump who was a main mechanic for Noel Trucking Yakima.

  169. #169JaredV2026-03-10 23:34

    As a kid I remember seeing a brown bullnose Kenworth at the Toledo threshing bee with a similar vintage RV trailer mounted on the back to make a motorhome. I seem to recall the name Pat Stump associated with it

  170. #170Truck Shop2026-03-11 09:29

    Stump was well known in ATHS circles, I think he was one of the charter members. He had an assortment of odds and ends in antiques. Thrashing Bees { I like the word thrash rather than thresh} in the NW were the first of antique truck shows. A Pat Stump motor home {RSH} below. *

  171. #171couesaddict2026-03-11 19:24

    This T-800 is the most impressive truck I’ve personally ever driven with a load. 625 cat c-15, 18spd with 2spd rears. Wears a single turbo now with a reflash. Not a snappy throttle but it’ll get down and pull hard. Has a brakesaver in addition to the Jake’s for the downhill.

  172. #172JaredV2026-03-11 21:05

    Was the brakesaver available on a C-15 or adapted from a B model?

  173. #173couesaddict2026-03-11 21:37

    It’s factory on this one. Mxs prefix. Not sure if they offered them all the way to the end of on highway engines or not. This is our newest truck.

  174. #174Truck Shop2026-03-11 22:20

    Brakesavers were offered right to the end. A 08 stator works well in a 06 saver.

  175. #175couesaddict2026-03-11 22:43

    That picture I put up earlier swinging the b model back into that old 900 is a brakesaver engine too. It didn’t have Jake’s but I got sick of doing brakes on the truck and cooked seals in the brakesaver so now it has both. B model Jake’s aren’t great and neither is a brakesaver on its own but with both, you can hold back a pretty good load. The C-15 Jake’s and a brakesaver at 40psi of air pressure so it doesn’t make too much heat will keep 200,000lbs totally under control down a 6-8% long grade at 20mph. Never have to tap the brakes once so they’re there fresh for an emergency.

  176. #176couesaddict2026-03-11 22:52

    Here’s another old kenworth of ours. Big cam 350 with 5x4 transmissions. Pic was after an in frame, welded all the cracks in the water tank, blast and paint.

  177. #177Truck Shop2026-03-12 07:11

    If could be found and parts were available--the Jacobs 349A's were a powerful jake. Designed with multi valving for better exhaust valve timing events. The issue with Cat's is timing the jake operation. Cummins was easy to time with the 855's because of the use of a pushrod activated injector. The 349's better controlled through oil porting. But also require special tooling to assemble. But finding a rebuild kit is next to impossible and same with the jakes.

  178. #178couesaddict2026-03-12 08:26

    I have a set of 349 housings but they’re in pretty rough shape. I have no experience with them but I’ve read that reliability and longevity of the 349’s isn’t as good as the 346’s?

  179. #179Truck Shop2026-03-12 08:46

    Bore for master piston would/could wear was a issue, 346's have half the moving parts of a 349. The fact no tune-up kits are available or major parts renders them useless.

  180. #180Truck Shop2026-03-12 08:50
  181. #181couesaddict2026-03-12 22:40

    ‘77 C-500 with 5x4’s in great shape for its age.

  182. #182DMiller2026-03-13 15:07

    Fun not ever ends on Old KWs! Got all the cooling fan grief tidied up, took a short ride today fan cycled twice then indicator locked on again, back to yard parking spot engine warm could not ‘see’ anything when switched key on had enough temp drop to trigger fan OFF. Leaking profusely. MHC has reman in whse, be here next week.

  183. #183DMiller2026-03-14 11:42

    Arm wrastlin match complete for remove Bearings feel OK but air rolls out at clutch surface

  184. #184Truck Shop2026-03-14 11:45

    Ah f-ck one of those models.

  185. #185DMiller2026-03-14 13:30

    Yeah, at least not on a Corn Queen COE 9670 with a Cummins. Less than 2 hours to Out.

  186. #186Truck Shop2026-03-14 13:45

    The old Bendix ED series was all the way back then, junk. We had 11 2000 year T800's with 5 that had that identical hub you have, IIRC 4 got replaced before 150K.

  187. #187DMiller2026-03-14 13:48

    This one has a REMAN Sticker on it.

  188. #188Truck Shop2026-03-15 21:22

    https://www.kenworth.com/media/u5zf3s4d/hd-t800-w900-c500-body-builder-manual.pdf

  189. #189Truck Shop2026-03-16 07:57

    When we ordered Kenworth's going back many years, I would use the same basic info listed in the latest "body builder" file above. Years ago it was all paper in binders. Having that info to check trucks after delivery saved many headaches down the line. Such as laden and unladen ride height, many times it was incorrect from factory. One part that was left out in {section 7 frame} was the total info that use to be in the paper version going back to early 70's. That info was about joining to rails {lengthening}. It gave total procedure for adding rail, the angle of cut, the dimensions for bolting in frame inserts with direct pattern of bolts required at splice. But liability concerns probably caused the idea for omitting them in {Section 7-page 6} listed in above PDF file post #189.

  190. #190DMiller2026-03-18 15:55

    Core is headed back, a little different appearance but dimensions similar Clutch surface no longer tapered to nose. Scary part, cost was a little higher than they thought over phone as Inventory had flipped. $300 HIGHER. Core will credit off.

  191. #191Truck Shop2026-03-18 17:55

    That's pretty much par for the coarse on price for serpentine belt hub, V groove is a little cheaper but not by much.

  192. #192Truck Shop2026-03-18 21:43
  193. #193couesaddict2026-03-18 21:46

    I’d say they’re a fair bit over on the drivers!

  194. #194Truck Shop2026-03-18 21:53

    65 years ago, no one cared back then.

  195. #195Pops522026-03-18 22:51

    Note the chain between the bumpers.

  196. #196couesaddict2026-03-18 23:36

    That’s the only chain I see on the whole production!

  197. #197Truck Shop2026-03-19 06:58

    That's because the shovel is just setting on a platform that covers both trailers, not the tracks setting independently on the trailer decks. Would imagine speed no more than ten mile per hour on straight flat surface. Because of the center of gravity with that machine, if it were secured to transport and things went awry it would just take the transports with it, which could make for a interesting truck ride.

  198. #198DMiller2026-03-19 11:42

    As such, all back together Engine running. Disengage at 70psig and no fan lamp on. Hour and half.

  199. #199Truck Shop2026-03-19 14:19

    How's the skin on your knuckles that were next to the rad fins removing that fan?

  200. #200DMiller2026-03-19 15:45

    Actually, for one time of a thousand, had at least hand width clearance coming off and going on. Surprised as all get out!! Fan awaiting in shroud after hub off:

  201. #201couesaddict2026-03-19 20:59

    Rebuilt the hub on that 357 Pete I posted in the other thread yesterday. Mine didn’t fair as well…. No blood this time but definitely chaffed. I wimped out after the fan was off and plucked it out and back in with the service truck crane and a strap though so it could’ve been worse. Could’ve been smashed and chaffed…

  202. #202mekanik2026-03-19 21:16

    I always put a double layer of duct tape over my knuckles when I'm removing a fan.

  203. #203Truck Shop2026-03-19 21:25

    What's funny to me is it still has that phony KW fan shroud hoop with rubber bellow. We nine 2007 T800's with ISX's and that frigging hoop extension. Every one of those sucked the rubber bellow through and into fan breaking the aluminum hoop and destroying radiators--one did 6 miles after leaving the KW shop in Idaho after just having radiator/shroud replaced--towed it back for another. The hoops also cracked from vibration, so KW sent extra hoops like about 12 to cut up/splice in to reenforce area where bolted, didn't help. * So I tore all that crap off and bought longer studs and 2" fan spacer to move fan closer to rad. had no issues after that. Those 9 T800's ended up sold with 225K on them to a dealer in Kansas--lemons.

  204. #204DMiller2026-03-20 05:13

    No cracks, some rubber tears at the push pins but not bad, Rubber is hardened. Only one ‘Bad’ hole upper Left as suspect bolt had worked loose wallowed some. Still functions so staying in place. Engine mount cushions being Urethane keeps engine motions down so should be good awhile.

  205. #205Truck Shop2026-03-20 05:18

    It's torque twist-frame twist that was issue. I see alot still in use, but I always bring it up, keeps people looking and wondering as they drive along.

  206. #206Truck Shop2026-03-20 09:07

    Back to just KW memorabilia. *

  207. #207Truck Shop2026-03-20 21:42

    1939. *

  208. #208couesaddict2026-03-20 23:08

    Found on the internet. Definitely was a good advertisement back in the day for Kenworth and Pontiac that are still being loosely replicated today. I remember watching as a kid and wanting to be a gear jammer. Now days, I’m glad I only use my cdl for the service truck and test driving the trucks I have to work on. Sitting in one all day just doesn’t suit me. Working on them is just a necessary evil too. I prefer working on the equipment way more than the trucks but it’s part of the job…. I don’t know trucks that well and it’s sometimes a headache of a learning curve tracking down parts.

  209. #209Truck Shop2026-03-21 07:26

    Well if comparing trucks of what some think as not that old circa 1995 to 2025, that 30 years is night and day as far as driving comfort. From 1995 to 1965 or 1965 to 1935 each thirty years is drastic. As far as repair goes for ease of completing it's the opposite {in some cases}. Before tilt cabs for COE's came along, those stationary cabs were just possibly {most horrible}. * But working on equipment--there is no paint to think about. Although some of this modern crap for equipment is just as tight to work on as a modern truck. I was in a independent repair shop just this week, a John Deere tractor had the transmission removed, it was like mining, nothing short of a mine shaft to work in to remove it, pew. The guy working on it {young guy} made the comment how drive train suspension was just heavy grunt work, engine work is where it's at. I replied--{Right up until you have a couple of $45,000 engines go upside down and have to eat that, then suspension work looks real appetizing}. * Young mechanics, all young mechanics have this thing about getting inside repairing engine internals. Young doctors/surgeons the same issue, they want to cut meat. Normally that way for about 15 years then the new wears off, and it just becomes work like all else. I remember when I started {much the same} except it never wore off till I retired. And I remember all the old Yellow Iron mechanics back then, walking around hunched over, neck/back issues, minus fingers, scabs on their bald heads, pissed off at the world and couldn't pi-- because of swollen prostate, all grumpy as hell. Then stand and brag about how they earned each screwed up limb attached to their body, everything they touched was heavy to deal with and they were going to tell the young guys all about it. I saw that and decided I'll work on trucks, only slightly better in my life thread. * None of it is great, it's just a job and something to riminess about when old.

  210. #210DMiller2026-03-21 07:30

    I too fit these memories And still far better than automobiles.

  211. #211couesaddict2026-03-21 13:12

    Touché….

  212. #21292U 34062026-03-22 09:30

    I never really enjoyed opening up an engine and its mostly because of the customers. Seems like there's ALWAYS something else wrong once you can see inside - a cracked piston, sunk liner, warped head, flaking cam, mystery gift in the oil pan etc. Then you call up the customer and all they do is whine and complain like its your fault there's more problems and then somehow think you should guarantee a half assed repair.

  213. #213Truck Shop2026-03-22 15:57

    It's been that way since dirt. Transmissions are the same thing. But from my years of experience those same people that whine are the same ones crying over a breakfast order #1 on menu of two eggs, choice of meat, hashbrowns and toast. Those same would/will cry over their eggs aren't just right, and out the other side of their mouth gripe about taxes. It's constant with them. I always quote the worst possible scenario of cost no matter who I was dealing with. And if I didn't like the way their hair was parted or combed--I suddenly didn't have time, all booked up. * Because it's a diesel engine used for work/commercial use it can be figured it's had the guts run out of it. And done in a independent shop because of the types of individuals/customers being dealt with terms of warranty would change to match their personality/business practices.

  214. #21492U 34062026-03-22 16:07

    I always quote worst case as well, then it becomes well just do this or just do that. Easier to let those jobs walk away, not worth the risk to your rep and pocketbook in my experience.

  215. #215Truck Shop2026-03-22 17:50

    Correct--Do great work and only a few will sing your praise, have a few jobs go south and it will ricochet around town like a high speed fart in a elevator.

  216. #216Truck Shop2026-03-27 08:41

    @couesaddict you managed a first in one of my threads #209, a like from a mod.

  217. #217Truck Shop2026-03-27 09:17

    This one isn't what people see, It's a put together. Frame from a 1966 K100 COE, using a cab & hood from a 1952 524, and Pete headlights, and several other odd items. *

  218. #218Pops522026-03-27 10:16

    I see there’s a “TS” on the shutters….

  219. #219Pony2026-03-27 15:40

    Its got two things going for it. Oh wait, you mean the truck.

  220. #220Truck Shop2026-03-27 16:56

    That is a old photo from circa 1975 edition of OVER DRIVE magazine. * T&S Transport.

  221. #221Truck Shop2026-04-03 11:34

    PacCar 2024 Spreadsheet. * https://www.paccar.com/media/1aml4ipx/2024-annual-report.pdf

  222. #222couesaddict2026-04-03 22:17

    Hauled our D8R back to the yard yesterday for some repairs with the T-800 in an earlier pic and our big trailer. I’m a mechanic with a cdl and not a truck driver. It was intimidating! The trailer on its own is heavy. Throw that 8 on there and it’s by far the heaviest load I’ve pulled.

  223. #223Truck Shop2026-04-04 05:49

    Imagine driving this 1956 B71 with a three stick 9 Speed Over Gear and a Cummins 220 with non detachable Peerless two axle lowboy moving this 14A. Used to Cut logging roads years ago. *

  224. #224DMiller2026-04-04 10:49

    Love the Cab view, with that Orscheln Lever HAND Brake. Would not be a good day depending of that to hold while Loading Unloading that crawler!!!

  225. #225Pops522026-04-04 11:45

    Imagine? I can feel it!!! And I recognize the wasp nests!

  226. #226Truck Shop2026-04-04 12:40

    Westinghouse air brakes on that honey. That driveline brake is for making smoke only. Everyone needs the experience of setting inside that little two slice toaster, with no P/S, and stationary seat.

  227. #227DMiller2026-04-04 16:11

    Sat in a number of Bs in the 70s at Mack on Chouteau at Jefferson, STL, 6’2” at 145# fit the seat, knees in face with clutch out, over sensitive throttles to any position besides full on to full off. Triplex was NOT Friendly, Quads a Nightmare to a youth. Good Old Days!!

  228. #228Truck Shop2026-04-04 16:39

    That Nine Speed Over Gear is just a triplex with one lever as a Low/High range.

  229. #229Tenwheeler2026-04-04 17:25

    I worked with a man named Joe who was years older than me. He drove professionally for many years and had a picture of his Spirit of 76 Peterbilt in the top of his tool box. Dropped out to raise his grandson. We were on the pager program in those days and I pulled into the nearest phone booth. The booth was in front of the White truck dealership and they had an old truck out front by the sign. I got off the phone and back in the truck. Joe said that is a White Mustang ( I am guessing F 20 or 30 ) and the story ABCXYZ was just that but the other one. 10 instead of of 20 or a 20 instead of a 30? I thank they were all 6 cylinder gas 5 speed with 2 speed vacuum shift rearend. Different story. He said when we ran California we would go South and then North to stay out of the mountains. ( I may have this twisted up a bit?) We carried a stick called a sprick or a sprag? It was cut to fit from the back of the cab and hold the gas pedal to the floor. He said at higher altitudes they would only run about 30 MPH. Stop at every town and fill the little bucket up with ice. Put it to the right of the seat with a hand towel in it, the second one went hung over your neck. When it dried out swap them out. That was the A/C. Sprag the gas pedal, hold the door open and or stand on the running board. That was the fan.

  230. #230Pops522026-04-04 19:03

    The closest I ever came to this was with a 62 Pete, 262, 5x4 with a 46A. The boss was the pilot car, left arm out the window waving a red shop rag on a narrow county rd.

  231. #231Truck Shop2026-04-07 17:32

    This one is a constant web headache. It's a KW three man cab with a Cummins NVH 1200, 1486 cu.in. it was actually a industrial engine. Everyone thinks it's a VT1710- Cummins didn't build that till 1961. *

  232. #232DMiller2026-04-08 06:38

    When did builders stop installing sand boxes?

  233. #233Truck Shop2026-04-08 10:11

    Some into 80's.

  234. #234BC Placer gold2026-04-08 10:30

    Still see some school buses here with sanding units (also most have auto chains). Seems like a good idea if in a real dicey situation.

  235. #235DMiller2026-04-09 15:17

    Suspect finding “Dry Enough “ sand to flow out could be a issue these days.

  236. #236Truck Shop2026-04-12 11:11

    Morphydite--built on M26 chasse with Hall Scott 1091. *

  237. #237DMiller2026-04-12 11:20

    Now That, pretty well FUG LY!!

  238. #238Truck Shop2026-04-12 12:47

    Nah, it just needs some of that manly man stuff, twin stacks, drop visor, 9 markers oh and don't forget the floats/pontoon tires, otherwise known as super singles.

  239. #239JaredV2026-04-13 20:35

    Do you know anything about why they built it?

  240. #240Truck Shop2026-04-13 20:50

    No idea, it resides somewhere in Utah. But companies like American Line Builders that were around here at one time, built a lot of their own off road transmission line trucks. There was a KW roughly that vintage here some years back that a constructed 6x6. Along with several other oddities just like the one below, it was built by ALB. *

  241. #241Truck Shop2026-04-14 19:47

    In two's--Tow truck fan clutch started leaking air, fan hub is 4 years old hoses 6 years old. Couldn't hear a leak--soapy watered everything--feed line from air solenoid formed a huge bubble in a 6" area. I don't think that hose had 35,000 miles on it, but it ruptured inside out. So this time I had a hydraulic hose made to fit--the old one was good to 500 psi.

  242. #242Deere500a2026-04-15 19:35

    M26 pulling grade lock throttle unfold the lawn chair set it on the fender watch world go bye just hopefully there's a gas station at the top.

  243. #243Deere500a2026-04-15 19:37

    Ooh Pete 353 can get groceries with

  244. #244Truck Shop2026-04-15 19:49

    Sort of a 353. * That 1091--great wide open till carb ices.

  245. #245Deere500a2026-04-15 20:05
  246. #246Truck Shop2026-04-15 21:01

    There was a KW tug at Boeing Field Seattle back in the mid 70's, might have been several, but I only saw the one.

  247. #247Truck Shop2026-04-16 10:28

    The rarest of KW's, only one built, and no longer in existence. *

  248. #248Deere500a2026-04-16 16:02

    Automotive engine well then well jeep owes me some cu ins about +510

  249. #249Welder Dave2026-04-16 18:21

    Wonder who made the ground power unit? Grill looks like a Hobart. Hobart made the first ground power unit in the US in 1946. I didn't realize they still make them as part of ITW. Hobart Ground Power - History of the Hobart Brand | ITW GSE The Hobart ground power units were designed to provide AC or DC power with the latest in Engine Drive and Solid State technology. itwgse.com

  250. #250Deere500a2026-04-16 18:45

    Tug with the torque spec surprised not a v6-53 maybe cold weather?. Not sure see lot of Gpu mostly Cummins diesel late 50s on

  251. #251Truck Shop2026-04-16 18:48

    Back in those years diesel power was not considered reliable by certain standards, mostly cold weather starting and batteries/starters were the issues.

  252. #252Deere500a2026-04-16 20:58

    Pancake design of a tug a v6 diesel over tall inline 6 gasser oil pan had to be close to dragging. Detroits worked for ww2

  253. #253Truck Shop2026-04-16 21:08

    The possibility of a T shape sump pan, or just one long sump front to back makes for shallower pan, but they didn't care as long as it had 5" clearance. Always on tarmac or runway. Yes and thank goodness died away in mid 80's.

  254. #254Deere500a2026-04-16 21:59

    Any time with a v6-92 Detroit 320hp? It's out there but never heard about it

  255. #255Truck Shop2026-04-16 22:37

    Construction company I worked for had two 6V92's but I don't remember the hp. Most were 350's. But that's off the KW subject too.

  256. #256Deere500a2026-04-16 22:46

    No sir it was in the l700/ buses /firetrucks

  257. #257Deere500a2026-04-16 22:58

    Remember Odd kw cab v6 "320" concrete pumper. Not trying to derail kw only

  258. #258Truck Shop2026-04-17 06:51

    I don't remember it because I never dealt with firetrucks/buses or concrete pumpers. Items I've never bothered to give a minutes thought, just tools with wheels that have zero exterior personality. Other than the music from sirens or a ad spinning around on a concrete mixer truck drum. The only items that I will agree with my brother on {seen one cement mixer you've seen them all}. I worked on detroit two strokes, personally never cared for the nasty leaking or noisy messes, those did the job and faded into history thankfully.

  259. #259Truck Shop2026-04-17 22:00
  260. #260Mike L2026-04-19 14:09

    Do you know any information about this? Year built, purpose?

  261. #261Truck Shop2026-04-19 15:24

    Not much info available other than it was built for street department road crew boss. Built in 1930.

  262. #262Truck Shop2026-04-19 22:12

    When I lived in Ellensburg, back in the seventies a neighbor showed me a small collection of photos when he worked for Kenworth during WWII. The plant for civilian trucks was moved to Yakima for about 4 years because the main plant in Seattle was converted to build military vehicles/plane parts. The photos he showed me were of the Yakima plant, he lived in Selah at the time. The photo below is not one of the ones he had, but it is a rare photo of assembly in Yakima plant. *

  263. #263Truck Shop2026-04-21 19:03

    1955-model 844 built for P.I.E. with Cummins 220 pancake mounted mid frame. *

  264. #264Deere500a2026-04-21 19:59

    Oakland CA fwy880 2000s would see coe with the 15' bread box behind cab but not twin steers. Paccar made some neat stuff

  265. #265Deere500a2026-04-21 20:30

    993 would be boring to drive missing 5' doghouse sitting on top no tv,vcr, crockpot or microwave just a seat you can't reach & a damn lunchbox

  266. #266Truck Shop2026-04-21 21:37

    KW Dart. *

  267. #267Deere500a2026-04-21 22:43

    Air brakes I don't won't stopping power. Gi Sherman trailer

  268. #268Welder Dave2026-04-22 00:24

    Never saw a Dart truck like that before. Neat!

  269. #269Truck Shop2026-04-22 03:24

    That division was responsible for all types of odd on the drafting board. Haul trucks that size are mostly non tandem going way back. IIRC that one was capable of just 85 ton.

  270. #270Truck Shop2026-04-22 03:44

    1950 model 524 with actual low mileage of under 200,000 and a iron nose behind it. *

  271. #271Welder Dave2026-04-22 16:45

    Probably in great shape too being a fire dept. truck.

  272. #272Welder Dave2026-04-22 16:49

    85 tons is still a lot for a conventional looking dump truck. Kind of looks like the exhaust might have burned the paint off on the box as it's pretty rusty a couple feet back but still has paint at the very front of the box.

  273. #273couesaddict2026-04-22 23:00

    So one of the guys got pulled over today in the ‘73 transport I put up a picture of a while back. Reason being, he didn’t see a seatbelt on the driver. It’s a ‘73 and only has a lap belt with no shoulder restraint. Once explained that was not an issue but a full blown Barney Fife roadside inspection ensued. Only thing written up was no windshield washer fluid. I’m supposed to repair and sign off on it before the truck can leave the yard again. Am I really required to install an aftermarket windshield washer setup on this thing for dot? I see no evidence that it ever had it in the past.

  274. #274couesaddict2026-04-22 23:03

    The old 900a is the one I’m asking about

  275. #275Truck Shop2026-04-23 06:46

    This is a gray area of DOT rules, always has been as defined in CFR 393.78 section {A}. From 1953 to 1968 it states a wiper system, after early 1968 a washer system also. But manufactures didn't get busy with it until early 70's. These types of laws were vague when written, and can be construed by DOT officers in few different ways. But I have installed systems using types in link below {two quart with nozzles mounted through top of bulkhead}. You could spend time to fight it or just update it like I did on this 1969 below. 4 Quart HDPE Windshield Washer Tank Assembly with 12 Volt Pump - 8.63" L x 4.15" W x 9.84" Hgt. | U.S. Plastic Corp. 4 Quart Standard system includes the 12 volt pump and 2-1/4" vented cap with tether and international washer fluid symbol. Systems featur... www.usplastic.com *

  276. #276couesaddict2026-04-23 15:48

    Thanks. I picked up a generic kit from napa to put on it this morning. A buddy of mine said he had to do the same thing to one of his early 70’s trucks a while back after a roadside inspection…

  277. #277Truck Shop2026-04-23 18:41

    Another stickler that has been enforced recently is steer axle brakes. CFR 393.42 & 393.52. The law was enacted in mid 79 allowing manufactures to be in compliance by total effective date of July 25 1980. There were trucks that rolled off the assembly line after July 25th that had no steer brakes. Because of all the retro stuff going on with the sun glasses on hat crowd, pulling trucks from the fence row, DOT has been checking truck dates of birth. Even when Anti-Lock air brakes became mandatory March 1st 1998 {Which was enacted one year before in 1997} there were trucks manufactured without antilock airbrake systems after March 1st. I bought a late 1998 KW T800 fuel transport that had no antilock system, including the trailer which was also built in late 1998. It's been inspected by DOT and never noticed. * This young crowd of DOT inspectors are worse than the old crowd, because they are busy trying to impress the upper echelon of they're prowess on the infinite amount of nitpicky rules that came into play years ago. * Years ago like 32 to be exact, I had just finished a major in-frame on a A model Cat in a 1977 W900 {it was originally a Kenworth Test truck based at Kenworth test track in Arlington Wa}. Anywho I took it for a test drive up I-82 from Ellensburg, there was a DOT car in the median which pulled out chased me and told me to pull in for inspection at MP-8 view point at the top of grade--over his PA. I pulled in and me being me removed the keys, locked the doors and stood there in my dirty overalls. Like flies they rushed the truck and me--which I stated out loud {No one is doing a inspection on this truck, I'm test driving after major engine work and haven't finished all repairs. So it is out of service as a commercial vehicle until work is finished and bill paid}! That stirred up a hornets nest--DOT {you can't stop us or tell us what we can do} Me { In this very odd case I can--I want a Washington State Patrol officer here to settle this, I demand a WSP officer take care of this issue}. They called in for mediator. It wasn't long and one arrived. {He walked up to me-Hi Mike how's it going? They talked for a bit and he told them, Mike is correct, you will have to let him go under the circumstance--the truck only requires proof of insurance and tabs to drive it at this point. {Stay out of trouble Mike, have a good day}.

  278. #278Deere500a2026-04-23 19:18

    FMVSS121- after March 1975 reduce stopping distance was the one always heard of brakes on all axles including steers with wet/dry road valve was ok & start pushing for ABS.1980 Didn't know

  279. #279Truck Shop2026-04-23 19:46

    1980 was the year for steer brakes, 1975 was just allowance for air pressure limiting valves to steer brakes. There was Bendix anti-lock in late 70's very early eighties that proved dangerous and caused many a law suit--one class action. Bendix dropped it like a hot potato, I drove a 79 352 Pete cabover that had it. Coming down Oakridge Hyw 58 from Hyw 97 to I-5, I had a major issue with it causing a run down on air pressure to where the Wig Wag dropped two thirds the way down. Luckily it was at night and the town of Oakridge was rolled up. I rolled through at just under 50 miles per hour with lots of smoke. When I got home I cut the wires to brake sensors, just like everyone else did that suffered the same issue. * Federal Register :: Request Access www.ecfr.gov

  280. #280couesaddict2026-04-23 19:59

    Yeah it doesn’t have brakes on the steer axle either but the driver reminded him the year of the truck and that they didn’t come with them. Officer had no idea. Pretty sure it’s the oldest truck he’s ever inspected.

  281. #281Deere500a2026-04-23 20:13

    2 story Falcon & a Gmc cracker box's grandkid

  282. #282Deere500a2026-04-23 20:18
  283. #283couesaddict2026-04-24 17:44

    Well the 73 Kenworth has a windshield washer system now.

  284. #284Coaldust2026-04-24 19:34

    Look at that!

  285. #285Coaldust2026-04-24 19:39

    My K-Dubs get PDI’d in South Carolina and when they get to Alaska, the washer reservoirs are frozen and cracked. Sorry Coaldust, we can’t get -40F washer fluid in Spartanburg.

  286. #286Truck Shop2026-04-24 19:39

    Looks good, I had a junk model 1954 S IH cab that used the washer system in one. It's what ever works to make them happy.

  287. #287Truck Shop2026-04-24 19:41

    Sure they can, just dump a little cheap rate Jim Beam in reservoir.

  288. #288couesaddict2026-04-24 20:48

    Still irritates me that it came to this. It really wasn’t a hard install but I’m kinda hung up on the principle of the whole matter. He did a full roadside inspection on a 1973 Kenworth and because he couldn’t find anything wrong or unsafe he had to throw this in my lap. Like I have nothing else to do…. I did 8 tires and a pile of other stuff yesterday then a transmission in a truck this morning and this install this afternoon. The truck had glass cleaner and paper towels in it so it wasn’t like there was an excuse for driving with a dirty windshield.

  289. #289Deere500a2026-04-24 20:55

    whiskey blown down your doors wake up having lot lizards licking your rig like bears chasing honey up a tree .

  290. #290Deere500a2026-04-24 21:11

    Great job couesaddict not may ol working rigs are in that great of care plus 1 less nickel & dime thing found

  291. #291Truck Shop2026-04-24 21:57

    If DOT did a level 3 inspection--he was apt to write up something.

  292. #292Coaldust2026-04-24 22:16

    You still have time to dispute it. Use the new FMCSA DataQs system portal. I think you have 45 days.

  293. #293Truck Shop2026-04-24 22:18

    Waste of time at this point, just takes more time out of the day.

  294. #294Coaldust2026-04-24 22:22

    Well, yeah. The KW in my avatar got wrote up for not having linens on the sleeper mattress. Driving two miles between the methanol plant at the Port of Anchorage and the Alaska Rail Road Terminal, two miles away where we filled the trail cars. lol

  295. #295Truck Shop2026-04-24 22:29

    111

  296. #296Truck Shop2026-04-24 22:38

    I have a image/copy of a WSP inspection, when I was towing my Mack to a truck show in Pasco Wa. Pulled over asked for papers, came back and asked if she could take some photos of the Mack--had been following for five miles. I have the inspection report in a PFD file. Was all good, just wanted photos of my Mack, On the inspection under {Shipper} it said {owner of a incredible Mack truck}

  297. #297couesaddict2026-04-25 00:15

    I thought you said dual stacks were dumb. In all seriousness, great job on the restoration!

  298. #298Truck Shop2026-04-25 05:50

    In all seriousness----yes, it would have been much cheaper with one. A huge mistake in the conjuring of ideas to make retro. I will have to rescan that inspection from pdf file to jpeg. Not many have been pulled over to have cops do a photo shoot, while there another WSP stopped as backup to get photos.

  299. #299Truck Shop2026-04-26 11:08

    A favorite BW photo of C.R. England in early 50's. *

  300. #300Truck Shop2026-04-26 19:51

    I doubt very many have had a DOT inspection like this. Notes under {Shipper/Cargo}. Post #297. *

  301. #301Coaldust2026-04-26 21:14

    Thanks for sharing that. That’s one in a million. Incredible Mack Truck. Way cool!

  302. #302Truck Shop2026-04-26 22:39

    A funny part about having the blues shined on me. I sat in the tow truck wondering while my paper work was being checked. I never turn the welfare radio on, so I did. The trucks heading southeast opposite side were all wound up about WSP pulling me over. All talking smack about the WSP, I just sat there grinning never responded. She made the comment about pulling over a nice clean set of two, and the fact it doesn't happen very much. Plus a nice comment about everything was in order.

  303. #303Deere500a2026-04-26 23:00

    Should of offered her a sip of your washer fluid as thank you

  304. #304Truck Shop2026-04-27 05:50

    That's a little strange, kind of dumb even.

  305. #305Deere500a2026-04-27 09:43

    Using Jim Beam as ice melt in washer jug

  306. #306Truck Shop2026-04-27 11:04

    That's "cheap" Jim Beam--aka rubbing or grain alcohol.

  307. #307Deere500a2026-05-30 12:03

    To be in a Mazda all can see in rearview mirror is the front pumpkin id tag

  308. #308Deere500a2026-05-30 12:04
  309. #309Truck Shop2026-05-31 15:41

    Good ole Cam--he ran out of Peterbilt's to rap about now he's plugging KW.

  310. #310Truck Shop2026-06-07 16:58

    1970. *

  311. #311Tyler d4c2026-06-07 18:59

    What size tires would those be on the steer and lift? Look quite large compared to the (assuming) 22 inch drives

  312. #312Truck Shop2026-06-07 19:05

    Those were a odd 20" center with a height of some 48". Don't remember actual size. Was odd at the time, only ever seen one set of those. Turning radius was lousy even with off set wheels.

  313. #313Truck Shop2026-06-08 19:46

    Brute came before the C500. *

  314. #314BC Placer gold2026-06-08 21:20

    Well named!

  315. #315JaredV2026-06-08 23:39

    Story I've heard about how the Brute came about was there was a log trucker by the name of Gene Brock around here that put a Guiberson radial diesel in a truck. He started with a KW and had to hang the engine over the front axle to clear the lower cylinders so the crank could line up with the rest of the drivetrain. Then moved the cab forward almost over the axle and built a hood to cover everything. He ran it for a while and eventually put a Cummins in after having a wild ride when the radial ran away. I've seen a picture of it, it was an interesting example of postwar experimenting/logger engineering. Supposedly KW noticed it and designed the Brute. That's the way I heard it, anyway.

  316. #316Truck Shop2026-06-09 01:33

    Could have or could not have, KW had a lot of ideas brewing in those years. But I wonder what Brock used for starting the Guiberson, Coffman cartridge starter. There wouldn't have been much advantage to that radial, horsepower wasn't all that high.

  317. #317JaredV2026-06-09 19:48

    I don't know the inspiration for the radial other than maybe he liked air-cooled. He later had Amboy Trucking and ran Deutz in KWs.

  318. #318Truck Shop2026-06-11 19:39