Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kenworth T6 with MX13

ahart · 2025-03-23 10:29

Question for the truck guys on here. My father-in-law has a 2013 KW T660 with a Paccar MX13 engine and he had to have it towed home this week because it died like you shut the key off, was running fine up to that point. I went over to check it out and it’s all dashes on the display when you turn the key on. Checked the ECM fuses on the panel in the cab, all were good with power. Checked the big fuses in the battery box, all were good with power. Under hood fuse panel- ECM fuses have no power on them, Engine ECM power relay has power on the 30 and on the signal side but no ground. If you jump between the 30 and 87, you can hear the engine “wake up” and fuses get power to them, but the dashes don’t go away on the dash so it seems the ECM still isn’t communicating. When relay is jumped, there is power and ground on the big terminals of the bottom ECM connector. Anything else that can be done to rule out the ECM?

Replies11
  1. #1Truck Shop2025-03-23 11:13

    IMO--engine harness to cab harness, IIRC 660's had a recall for those harnesses. Could be wrong on model but I do know there were was a recall on harness.

  2. #2ahart2025-03-23 11:38

    Data link wire problem of sorts? Wonder why it still won’t start after I give the ECM power through the relay.

  3. #3Truck Shop2025-03-23 12:19

    Because it still doesn't have a complete path for communication?

  4. #4ahart2025-03-23 12:20

    I get it, a cat engine will usually run with data link codes as long as it has power and ground. I don’t have a scan tool to hook up to this engine so I’m basically helpless.

  5. #5Truck Shop2025-03-23 12:23

    Harness is a guess on my part, but I do know PacCar had several recalls in that area.

  6. #6Coaldust2025-03-23 16:04

    The chassis node on the firewall and the fuse panel for it was a common problem on the T660 during those years. I think the wiring harness recall was for 2016-2019 models, but we both know those hard dates are not always accurate. Both, are good places to start.

  7. #7ahart2025-03-23 16:54

    What’s a chassis node?

  8. #8Truck Shop2025-03-23 16:59

    main connections--normally power distribution box aka fuse panel/box.

  9. #9Coaldust2025-03-23 17:13

    The KW name for it is the MUX3-P. And, they install it where splash, mud and salt has perfect access to it. Those funny PACCAR engineers, always joking around.

  10. #10Truck Shop2025-03-23 17:18

    The first boxes were metal which collected moisture/rotted. Then they went fiberglass/resin boxes. But still have the issue of rotting out the four lower rows. Even the T990's company bought have had major connection/moisture issues. Major harness/dash issues.

  11. #11ahart2025-03-23 17:23

    This box is fiberglass, I’ll have to take a look at that.