Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kenworth T800 project.. am I dead in the water?

voltage1256 ยท 2015-12-20 18:00

I bought a 2003 Kenworth T800. C-15 500hp. I want to do dual air cleaners, however... I was "told" I would have to buy a completely new hood and latch assembly to make this happen, since my truck stock... did not come equipped with them... is this true? Has anyone here done dual air cleaners after the fact?

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies10
  1. #1Landclearer2015-12-20 18:19

    I believe that is correct. I think the top of the fenders might be notched out for the breathers. You might go to truckpaper and look at some pics.

  2. #2voltage12562015-12-20 20:46

    I assumed this might be the case... Essentially, I find my exhaust is lot more "raspy" and "throaty" in the higher rpms, I am looking for a "deeper" noise, and also a more prominent turbo "let go" similar to these two videos: Honestly, if you have any suggestions as to how to achieve that "deeper" exhaust as in the videos, thats exactly what I am looking for. I thought maybe the difference was because I don't have dual cleaners? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw5kRjrn5us https://youtu.be/WhgEd6YzLnM?t=1m47s

  3. #3Landclearer2015-12-20 21:34

    I think the easiest way to get that sound is put some 6 inch pipes on. I am assuming you have mufflers in your truck now?

  4. #4Truck Shop2015-12-20 21:38

    Other than the look with dual cleaners, which you will get slightly more flow. What size are the twice pipes you have now? In the video those are 7" The bigger the pipe the more rumble. And yes dual cleaners requires a hood change and the ears riveted to the cowl.

  5. #5voltage12562015-12-20 22:40

    I currently have stock 5" turbo back, stock y pipe stock 5" elbows to 8" straight piped ozzie stacks. The roll off video has 8" I actually was able to get in touch with him briefly but thats all he knew.

  6. #6chevota842015-12-21 14:59

    Is it a 6nz or mbn?

  7. #7voltage12562015-12-21 15:50

    2003 MBN serial true C15

  8. #8chevota842015-12-21 17:10

    Stock turbo?

  9. #9voltage12562015-12-21 21:30

    To my knowledge yes, I am the third owner, truck received a Platinum CAT rebuild 80,000 miles ago.

  10. #10chevota842015-12-22 01:10

    I've only been around 1 mbn with straights on it and it definitely had a different tone. They have a weird turbo so that may have something to do with it. This truck is a 2ws and we put a c16 turbo with a 1.32 ungated housing on it and it totally changed the sound.