Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kenworth w900

GCC ยท 2011-12-08 17:56

Hello im looking at buying an 2000 kenworth W900 for hauling my hitachi 300 (70,000) lbs my question is its a 500hp 13 speed i have no way of tell what the rears are but even if the rears are 40,000's could i buy a tri axle lowboy and still haul it with out being over on the rears and is a 13 speed enough to get this weight moving? thanks it could be a go cheap nice buy from a divorce settlement let me know what your thoughts are

Replies8
  1. #1Soodude2011-12-08 19:21

    I don't think you will have a problem getting the rig rolling with the weight behind ya. The 13 is nice because of the reduction on the low end so I think you should be just fine.... My kenworth t450 has a 13 in it with only 330hp and I don't have a problem at all hauling our JD 490 or our CAT 936E loader on our lowboy.

  2. #2GCC2011-12-08 19:34

    Well there's one question anwsered now what about being over weight on the rears? I some times have to haul pass scales to job?

  3. #3GCC2011-12-08 22:42

    So my questio really is if this truck has 40,000 rears is I be over on a 50 ton trailer with hitachi 300 on it. I don't want to pay out float fees anymore to do any job at any I alomost have to have a days worth of work to make it pay other then big job and when I'm not floating my equipment I can sub out to a heavy haul company probably.

  4. #4Soodude2011-12-09 07:14

    Here in Michigan we can gross 50,000 on our tandem truck given that you are running float steer tires, baloonies. That's not including the trailer.... that should help get ya started maybe but then again my math coud be off...... MEDIC!!!!!

  5. #5GCC2011-12-10 21:28

    Bump

  6. #6Dualie2011-12-14 03:27

    actually the 13spd dosent add anything on the low end just lets you split the top end. your thinking of a 15spd or an 18spd that lets you split them down low. i don't know the laws in your area but is there room to add a pusher axle to the the truck between the drives and the back of the cab to make you truck a 7 axle with a 3 axle trailer?

  7. #7GCC2011-12-14 08:12

    Well from what MTO tells me here in ontario as long as I'm not over weight one any axle I can register up to 63,500kg (139993.55) lbs so my only concern is the drive axles I see a lot of ppl here in ontario use tandem truck and tri axle float for moving up to 40 ton payload with out have to take permits out.

  8. #8Dert-T2011-12-24 10:47

    Agree 100% with the other replies that your 500hp and 13spd will not be a problem when you're looking to move a 330. With the age of your tractor, you won't be held to the new SPIF standards either which will eliminate a few headache's for you with weight. What is the W900's wheelbase ? I wouldn't be worried about the lbs on your drives, but more concerned with what weight you'll have on your front axle, and the spread on your trailer axles. That being said, how big of a float trailer are you looking at ? If you can find a good used 4axle Loadstar-Paron or J.C. I don't think you'd have any worries scaling out now, with enough trailer to account for larger equipment added to your fleet (or sub work) in the future. Where about's in Ont are you located ? Keep us updated, and don't forget the pics !