Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kenworth w900 no air,something’s frozen

coastlogger · 2024-01-12 17:34

It got cold here,minus 10 Celsius,that's cold on the wet coast.anyhow I used my old 1981 Kenworth with 3406 yesterday all fine,not as cold. Today it started out fine then lost all air about 10 mins in. Can get it up to 15 pounds if I rev for awhile and that's it. Gauge seems fine I checked at first tank and there's about that much air there. I'm supposing something on the compressor but I'm a little fuzzy on it all.reg on compressor froze? I tried heating it up with a propane torch did not help so far . Help?

Replies24
  1. #1Oxbow2024-01-12 17:48

    So if you heated the governor we'll assume it is not that. Do you have any air line antifreeze? Also, do you have an air dryer? If you have air line antifreeze (alcohol) and do not have an air dryer, you can remove the discharge hose from the compressor and add some there. If you do have an air dryer add the air line antifreeze in the discharge from the dryer. You could also put some in each of the gladhands to a trailer. It takes very little to do the job. Once you get some in let her run for a while and see if it clears. If not you'll need to investigate further with the governor and discharges to see what is going on.

  2. #2Truck Shop2024-01-12 18:33

    Any airline that has dip/sag in it's routing is where moisture will collect and freeze. If first tank has a check valve at inlet from compressor it can freeze. And the fact where you live the high moisture--unless the air system is drained everyday and system service annually it probably is full of water/oil mix. Best thing do like Oxbow said/then get it inside if that's possible to use shop air to blow the system out.

  3. #3cuttin edge2024-01-12 20:10

    Your weather would be killer. Out here on the east coast, a truck that has spent time inside a heated shop, and then taken out into the cold, will freeze something. Moisture collects in the lines in the heat, then freezes. Make sure to use an air brake antifreeze, and not straight menthol hydrate. We have a lot of trouble with air ride trailers freezing up, but as mentioned above, a bit of aba in a glad hand helps

  4. #4coastlogger2024-01-13 01:23

    Thanks for those valuable tips. It does have an air dryer,installed a few years ago,but I've never done much else to help with freezing. I should have stayed home! Anyhow I figured out it's losing air at the rear relay valve?The valve above rear axle that sends air to both rear wheels. Coming out the bottom of valve it seems. I'm hoping it's a piece of ice stuck in there. Going to try warming valve up in am see if that fixes it. Otherwise I think I can plug that valves supply off and maybe get home on brakes from other axles.

  5. #5Coaldust2024-01-13 02:14

    Relay valve leaking from the exhaust port? You have an air can leaking.

  6. #6cfherrman2024-01-13 09:28

    Shut the truck off and put air brake antifreeze straight into the air tank that the compressor goes too, if your still having trouble bypass the dryer and then put it in the air compressor discharge port. You should also check the tanks that have no air in them and put it straight into them. I also use some regular air hose and hook up tanks that are frozen to a tank that has air to get it moving around.

  7. #7Truck Shop2024-01-13 16:53

    Get real folks a 81 W-9, don't get it near any soapy water--just one big bubble.

  8. #8Tyler d4c2024-01-13 19:13

    Whats that movie where the guy makes his own bubbles That's all I could hear reading that

  9. #9coastlogger2024-01-14 00:27

    Got truck home by disconnecting and plugging off the supply line to relay valve. Removed relay valve,the bottom(quick release?)section was stuck open due to crud.Cleaned that up,didn't open up main section and am ready to try it in am.

  10. #10IceHole2024-01-14 08:18

    Methanol is air brake antifreeze

  11. #11cfherrman2024-01-14 14:23

    I think meth works better as air brake antifreeze might have some additives in it

  12. #12cuttin edge2024-01-14 17:27

    Air Brake antifreeze has a lubricant. Pure MH, dries out o rings

  13. #13cfherrman2024-01-14 18:07

    I used to add atf in the tanks too for more lube, but once you do that you have to keep doing it.

  14. #14cuttin edge2024-01-14 19:37

    So buy one product and cut out the middle man. If MH is all you have on hand, then by all means, but for continued use, I would stick with ABA. If it has the original air compressor, an 81 KW probably lubes the air system in house.

  15. #15terex herder2024-01-14 19:40

    Have any of you had problem with ABA and anti-locks? Mine specifically state not to use ABA.

  16. #16cuttin edge2024-01-14 19:53

    Never heard of it, but we are talking about older trucks. The valving might have plastics that don't like it.

  17. #17Truck Shop2024-01-14 21:13

    ABA with ABS + ABSABA =2S2M. Trying to type a totally abbreviated sentence. * No your not suppose to but people/drivers do it all the time. I hate the crap. Keeping air system serviced by changing air dryer cartridge is best. About the time main computer valve takes a dump $$$$ then things change.

  18. #18coastlogger2024-01-14 22:54

    Back in business. Everything works again.Will get some aba for future use. Good conversation.thanks.

  19. #19Coaldust2024-01-14 23:01

    This discussion made me curious about ABA, so I pulled out some SDS’s. I see many of the brands are ethanol based, an equal amount are methanol based. Most contain a 3-5% sodium sulfanate solution, which is used as a corrosion inhibitor. Then, 1% secret sauce, which I assume is the lubricant they claim. ABA injection is common in my area. I can’t say if it really harms anything, even though the OEM’s and ABS manufacturers don’t recommend it.

  20. #20Oxbow2024-01-15 03:00

    I think as long as you don't get a truck drunk with it you are okay. In my experience it takes a small amount to work.

  21. #21IceHole2024-01-15 07:44

    Lubing what?

  22. #22IceHole2024-01-15 07:48

    The T800 and T880 i ran/run have auto meth injectors. I've had the system freeze up still on -50* days. Was able to get it into a heated building before I didn't have enough air.

  23. #23Truck Shop2024-01-15 09:06

    The O-ring grease inside the air valves becomes caked after one winters use. When I went to work for Tate 20 years ago -the guy running the shop never had a schedule to service air dryers and relied on AIR BRAKE JIM BEAM, they had issues too. I started a regular service time in fall on all the dryers, issues stopped. * Here's the funny thing there was a cabinet with about 40 white/red/blue bottles of that Air Brake Jim Beam-set there never used for 18 to 19 years. The oil distributor for the shop {anaconda salesman} was yaking about ABA. I took him over to the cabinet told him to check the dates and rotate stock, he says {these are empty bottles you put back}. I said {take the cap off and check the seals}. He checked bottle after bottle {seals still intact}, He said if I hadn't been here to see this for myself I never would have believed it, damn near everyone is empty, evaporated. {How come you still have them on the self? { The boss didn't want to throw away might need it he thought, so there those stayed.}

  24. #24cfherrman2024-01-15 09:35

    The air system