Looking at a machine with relatively low hours but has kinked tracks. Any suggestions for working them out other than walking the machine around?
Walk it in water
Brings up a question........Why don't excavators have salt tracks on them? The machines cost enough you would think another few bucks wouldn't hurt anything
Cat used to say it was because they didn't walk all the time, like a dozer, they were designed to sit in one place and dig.
The newer excavators with grease seal tracks seem to be a problem if one of the seals go and dirt gets in. I have had 4 Komatsu hoes that this has happened to. it seems to be worse if they have sat for the winter. They do not straighten out working them! It makes for a fight with the dealer over "prorate warranty". next one I am going back to dry tracks they seem to last longer. Doug
Good day BKrois We guess your issue is with smaller size of chain B-D4, if so we have investigated the issue on a number of occasions testing different solutions. We can supply the full report if this is of interest just drop a request to [email protected] . Kind regards Uffex
You have a couple of options on getting your tracks to loosen. Walk your machine around to see if they will loosen. Walk your machine through water or soak them with diesel and see if they will loosen. These two methods rarely work but I have heard of people having success. The only sure thing would be to have them pressed apart and all of your pins and the inside of your bushings brushed and greased then pressed back together. Good luck, QuickTrax
I'd love to see a pic of this.
Thank you for the replies. Here's a pic. I've heard a few other ideas on how to get them free, i'll update the thread as I go
Yair . . . Dunno but I just wouldn't see that as a problem, forget about it and just put it work . . . tracks will loosen as kinks straighten and will have to be retensioned. Cheers.
My thoughts exactly, Scrub
I saw the photo and my first though was "tighten those tracks a bit first and then run the **** out of it" ...........
had that on an '98 ex220 - had 4600 hrs when I got it, but the chain was newish and the machine sat some - 4 places on one side - I could straighten 'em out by setting the kink down on a high spot on hard ground between rollers, but they'd go back to kinked after comin' up around sprocket or idler - ran it and 3 have gone away completely on their own, they are nice and loose and sag when they should - 1 remains but is inconsequential - that said, I don't know **** in regards to this subject in general I'd do whatever NIGE says 'cause the location under his avatar says.............Dad's Army "they don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring Sir".............chuckle
Ah-ha. Another American who was never exposed to the humour that was Dad's Army ....... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjK5YWFjG-s
thanks fer the link NIGE, I look forward to gettin' a look at it - I quess we share english blood and iffy sense of humor - right now I've only got time for this quick hitter, to be played with sound up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhJQp-q1Y1s
This may help
Additional Information
I have thought of lancing out the offending pin then using a die grinder with a flap wheel to clean the bushing and then pushing in a new pin. all with out splitting the track. Has anyone tried this and if so did it work? I know you would burn the seal but I think that you would save more wear and tear on the machine without the bouncing that the kinked pins cause. Any thoughts? Doug
Good Day 72hayes Dare I say you have very low labour rates or you have time and money to kill, forget the idea run it till it drops and buy new. I hope the reply is seen in the context of helpful. Kind regards Uffex