Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Klutch Tools

ianholt150 · 2021-06-27 22:38

Anybody have any experience with Klutch Tools from Northern Tool? Are they just Harbor Freight with a bigger price tag, or are they like Craftsman, where they’re middle of the road?

Replies59
  1. #1Mike L2021-06-28 19:08

    I think I’ve got the klutch jumbo wrenches. 2”-2.5”. Decent for the money. Anything has got to be better than horrible freight.

  2. #2CM19952021-06-28 19:41

    From my experience a step above HF but no Wright by any means. Just today bought a 1/2" torque wrench for $100. We'll only use it occasionally to check megalug bolts so it should serve us well.

  3. #3Sberry2021-06-28 20:09

    Its generic, same as cman.

  4. #4Jonas3022021-06-28 21:57

    We use quite a bit of the Klutch tools No not at all harbor freight style

  5. #5_Weldman_2021-06-29 00:25

    Got one of their jacks which has outlasted the Horror Freight ones and worked in temperatures Horror Freight ones stopped working in. I'm impressed and if near one again will buy more from them or order online.

  6. #6wrwtexan2021-06-29 01:35

    HAAAAAAAA!!! You bunch of debutants crack me up! I haven't logged into HF in 2 years after getting fed up with the better than though BS (Welder Dave; my crane pump mount is still to this day firmly in place where I welded it ) but this was a post worthy of doing so! I bet most of you haven't even been into Harbor Freight since they sold what would be at a Homier's truck junk sale. It would be worse than an old lady losing her virginity to admit if you did! Craftsman?? You mean those shitttty 13 tooth ratchets? I keep one of those junkers as a backup on my service truck in case my HF's fail (haven't yet!!). I've used a 3' cheater on their Pittsburg slide handle 1/2" and have yet to break one. Crapsman, went through many. Break an HF? Carry it in and get a brand spanky new one with no questions asked instead of someone else's 'rebuilt' POS. Oh, right, you can't anymore! Crapsman is now for weekend warrior douches shopping at Lowe's and whatever other store carries their chinese crap. The premier HF line (Icon) is as good as any Strap On (used them, overrated) and I can buy several HF for what one SO would cost. I have the 27 month insurance policy with my electric guns. WHATEVER reason I want to bring it back for, NO questions are asked. I'm working for me and my family, not to put the Strap On dude's kids through Harvard. Most of my service truck tools from the big air compressor, air tools, electric impacts, ratchets, finely polished wrenches, air jacks, testing tools and whatever else I can get are from HF and serve me well everyday! Buy American?? That's funny! Name brands, likely off the same assembly line as mine but with different plastic. Had a Stanley air impact from Taiwan. Saw the same gun on Strap On tool truck as a Blue Point for WAY more money. Dewalt chop saw blades are chinese just like the HF ones. Yes, HF has the bottom of the barrel stuff for cheap, but right next to it hangs top quality tools at prices that won't keep one in debt for years. I even get a discount on their card and there are always spot sales or ITC deals to drop prices even more. Truck man do that?? Friend of mine I graduated high school with is now the head tech at the local Toyota dealership and HF tools abound in their shop. Klutch? have a couple of theirs. Not impressed. I'm gonna laugh my *** off when Harbor Freight sponsors a Nascar! Maybe it'll be a Toyota ! What does $60k on a tool truck get? Not much. Same at HF? The whole store!!! Let the show begin!!! Now, where's my popcorn? After many fakebook political fights and jail time this should be fun!

  7. #7Sberry2021-06-29 08:49

    You can find some junk in HF if you try hard enough but the stuff has really came up to speed. My "goof " tgools are worn out too, I just bought 25 new screwdrivers, some 1/2 impact wob extensions. I tried a couple drivers for a while then I bo8ught a fistful. Nice to have new shard drivers again. They may be as good as permium, who knows but I like them as good or better. The pliers are coming, I have been a Channelock hold out but they have always been good and still priced right. We bought some adjustables thru auto parts, ATD and they are go to, as good or better and not scared to take them anywhere. Sears been crap for years and statistically the ratchet may be the worst tool ever sold,,,,, one of the downfalls,,, even HF learned and come up with better and Sears sold that pos for decades. Sears sockets north of the 80s been dismal, broke a lot right out of the box, the replacements were fine. Most all this kind of thing comes off the same couple lines and goes in to different packages.

  8. #8Vetech632021-06-29 08:57

    Meh, I'm not convinced. Please let me know how you REALLY feel......and don't hold back this time!

  9. #9Mike L2021-06-29 17:49

    eh, whatever. To each his own.

  10. #10JLarson2021-06-29 23:05

    I have a few Klutch things I've ordered or acquired over time seems ok, mostly jumbo wrenches. Actually a lot of my jumbos are imports, especially the ones that go on the road with me, so if I need a funky 1 3/4" or whatever while I'm elbow deep in some track loader or something... wrench meet zip wheel lol.

  11. #11JPV2021-06-29 23:10

    I have a mixture of everything, they all work but when the cheap tool fails and it pisses me off I spend the dough on a good one and don't look back or think twice.

  12. #12John C.2021-06-29 23:23

    When I started buying wrenches over 1 1/2" it was only because the head on the big crescent wrench wouldn't fit in the small space I had to get to for a hydraulic hose. I also found out that those big fittings in general weren't all that tight when you use a two foot long combination wrench on them. Imports became my tool of choice. I wasn't going to spent a hundred bucks on a wrench I might use twice in ten years when I could get an import for thirty five bucks that would mostly sit in a tool drawer in the truck or the steel storage box in my shop.

  13. #13Pony2021-06-30 05:16

    Yeah, as stated before, I'm not a mechanic, just fix my own stuff. I buy relatively cheap sockets, spanners, etc and then when I break one I'll replace it with a good one. As John C said, no point having expensive stuff you hardly ever use.

  14. #14Sberry2021-06-30 07:51

    There is a lot of ,,, I was trying to think of better word than ******** but there isn't that all these cheap tools break or strip every nut. This is a holdover from the 70s I beat the snot out of a 3/8 combo the other day with a 20 oz. nail hammer. Over the years broke 3 or 4 wrenches running them back up to impacting repeatedly. They are brutally tough.

  15. #15Sberry2021-06-30 08:03

    Klein screwdriver cost 8$ 30 years ago. HF got one cost less than 2 today and l like it so good or better. O s'pose it could be tested somehow but it's kind of moot, does the work and the cost is a bonus especially considering 30 yrs difference, todays dollars.

  16. #16Sberry2021-06-30 08:18

    I was a quality nut when I started, choices were fewer and shopping difficult. Today with a few exceptions would buy very few premium tools, pass on the best and get to the economy generic which are so good and while they are not premium they are the same as many mid in a cheaper box. The study of hand can openers worth a look in Walmart. If anyone would have said in 1995 I would be using a 30$ grinder, 50$ battery drill, 2$ screwdriver and a dollar wrench I would have said no way, no how. If you said I would be using a dollar wrench 20 years later in hard service I might have said it would make a year but 20, no way,,, no reason now to think it wont be good for another 20. Same for adjustable. Worn the ink off the handle said China where there used to be brand,, could stamp out Proto or WF and not tell the difference.

  17. #17Mike L2021-06-30 19:41

    When I first started wrenching a guy who worked in management asked me if I was interested in some large wrenches that he had inherited from his father. Sure why not. He showed up with a bunch of snap-on wrenches from 1 1/8- 1 5/8” and also 3 blue point supreme double open end wrenches. I bought them for $15 each. By far the best tool deal I ever found. I’ve never seen any other blue point supreme tools. I believe they were made in the 1950s. I also keep a pile of el cheapo large wrenches for when I need to cut something up for custom applications

  18. #18CM19952021-06-30 20:25

    It's been 2 years since you've logged into HEF? Funny I haven't noticed but thanks for reminding us. Opinions are like aresholes everyone has one but there is no since in getting all worked over one.

  19. #19Sberry2021-06-30 21:00

    I would not go to the trouble for expensive tools anymore. The cost. The risk, dont even have to insure them. Can buy them outright for lunch kind of money.

  20. #20Truck Shop2021-06-30 21:49

    I could care less who buy's what brand of tools as long as it is the correct tool for the JOB. Below is one of my pet peeves. People who use the wrong tools on something as simple as a pipe plug. And below are two totally different approaches in tool-olgy to turn the simple pipe plug. One is the correct tool {8 point socket}. The other is some sort of do-all half *** micrometer, good for rounding off pipe plugs. Because you never know what type of 325 lb He-man twisted the pipe plug till he was hanging off the ground with so much force he farted like a Clydesdale. Tools? I don't care what brand you buy just buy and use the correct ones for the job.

  21. #21John C.2021-06-30 22:42

    The torque is one thing, but the glue they use to try to keep something from leaking is an entirely different rounded off plug.

  22. #22Sberry2021-07-01 06:30

    I know we got some golden arms here but not every job is that critical. I have met a few guys quite skilled with adjustable tools.

  23. #23Sberry2021-07-01 06:35

    Had a woman watch me do some demo the other day with a number 9 side cutter. Said, I had no idea one tool could do so much so well. I would have had the whole box out.

  24. #24Vetech632021-07-01 07:53

    Yeah, but show me a pipe plug socket that can be used as a prybar or a hammer!

  25. #25John C.2021-07-01 09:17

    Maybe a punch or a tooling die?

  26. #26Bluox2021-07-01 09:34

    I'm kinda confused what does a deep 3/4 drive 1 9/16 8 point socket have to do with a 1/2 " pipe plug? I would use a 4 point pipe plug socket myself. If a square head pipe plug aggravated me that much I would replace it with a hex head plug. Bob

  27. #27kshansen2021-07-01 12:36

    I'm thinking that was just a picture of a "generic" 8 point socket.

  28. #28doublewide2021-07-01 14:08

    Wait a minute there truck shop, what’s wrong with the Italian wrenches?

  29. #29Truck Shop2021-07-01 15:08

    Wow you guy's miss the whole point except for kshansen. Now I know who is been responsible for rounding off fill plugs--It's you guys.

  30. #30Vetech632021-07-01 16:08
  31. #31Bluox2021-07-01 17:17

    Actually 8 point sockets do about as good a job as as an adjustable wrench ,if you wanted to post a picture of the proper tool why not a 4 point plug socket instead of a track bolt socket? And like I said they make hex head plugs to eliminate that problem. Bob

  32. #32Truck Shop2021-07-01 17:37

    That looks right Vetech.

  33. #33Truck Shop2021-07-01 17:46

    Actually 8 point sockets are for square plugs and no adjustable wrench is as good, if a adjustable wrenches were they wouldn't make 8 point sockets. I posted what I could find on the fly-kshansen got it. So I'm going to buy a box of 130 hex head fill plugs at how much a piece to replace a square head pipe plug with a magnet built into it that works just fine using a 8 point socket? Nuts. But the good side of this is it gave you something to pick at today-you were running about two quarts low.

  34. #34crane operator2021-07-01 18:03

    Sorry, its me. I don't really like adjustable wrenches either. Vise grips all the way for me! I've included pictures of my personal collection, because pictures seem to be the thing in this thread. Note: this is a web based image, not my actual vise grip collection. Mine are rusty. I only have one other tool. Image of that tool is below. I can use the vise grips with the hammer. Or the hammer without the vise grips. Or just the vise grips. But rarely do I not need the hammer or the vise grips on any project. Otherwise I chip my nails. Note: My hammer head flies off at times, but only when using the hammer. Its a anti- theft device. If a thief steals my hammer and uses it, the head will fly off and kill him or his accomplices, saving the world from one more useless thief. I'm used to it flying off, so I'm ready for it. Secondary note: This is not my actual hammer, but a image of a hammer that is in mildly better shape than my hammer.

  35. #35Truck Shop2021-07-01 18:06

    No that's probably your hammer---the heads are not shiny from use. I like your vise grip with the plow bolt for adjustment.

  36. #36crane operator2021-07-01 18:26

    I store the hammer outside for extra "patina". As for the "plow bolt", that's not a "plow" bolt, but a "carriage" bolt. Carriage bolts are for "carriages", not "plows". You've got all kinds of terminology issues today, isn't there a truck somewhere that needs towed? As far as the original question about Klutch tools (I've derailed this enough- I'd like to make a point about the original post- but to no ones surprise, I don't know anything about the original subject). Since this is the internet, I won't let my lack of knowledge stop me. We don't have a northern by us, but we do have that other store mentioned- Harbor Freight. I'll buy gloves from harbor freight. But I'm like Lucy and Charlie Brown and the football with that place. I keep going back for tools and being nothing but disappointed. Their tools are worth exactly what you pay for them. Lifetime warranty from harbor freight means nothing to me, if the first one was junk, why would I want another one? I'm stubborn and stupid though, it took me breaking the third 1" drive ratchet to figure that out. Harbor Freight is useful for one time use disposable tools. Its my only option on saturday afternoon for a emergency, but I'd rather buy tools from anywhere else, made by anyone other than the Chinese. Thus ends the lesson on the Klutch tools, because I don't know anything about them, but I know all about HF. They have gloves.

  37. #37Truck Shop2021-07-01 18:35

    Excuse me the head of that bolt was rounded. Isn't there something that needs a crane? works both ways. Terminology issues ? I will make sure and not help with air valve issues.

  38. #38Sberry2021-07-01 18:56

    How good does it have to be? We were out in the sticks the other day and had some stuck bolts. I had the HF breaker bar. 4 of us take turns 2 at a time for an hour.

  39. #39Mike L2021-07-01 19:00

    Here’s a thought about hunka freight tools. I bought a 4 lb deadblow from there. One cold day I hit something and it shattered. I threw it away. Guy pulled it out of the trash and took it back for warranty. Good for him. Repeated the same story the next winter. (Yes I’m a slow learner). You know what doesn’t shatter in the cold? A snap-on or trusty cook dead blow hammer.

  40. #40Sberry2021-07-01 19:03

    Those cheap ratchets are not good but that's not really new news. I am not sure about the newer ones but they been improving them all the time. I haven't used the sockets. Had a bud said they got some in a heavy truck shop and they hadn't busted them in a year. Haven't leaned a lot on the wrenches but sets missing some isn't so good.

  41. #41Sberry2021-07-01 19:05

    Those fiberglass nail hammers not very good.

  42. #42crane operator2021-07-01 19:22

    You're the best truck shop. I'm sorry if I gave the impression to you or to anyone else that I was busting your chops. We need a sarcasm emoji, because I evidently ain't as funny as I like to think I am. Sorry. Except for the Harbor Freight lovers. You guys are all wrong. Except, I do have to admit something. I was in Harbor Freight today. And I bought something. I have a broken off fitting in a block with access issues and I was going to cut off a easy out, and grind square corners on it. But I knew I'd seen short easy outs somewhere and HF has them. So I'll know tomorrow if I've been failed yet again by a HF purchase, STAY TUNED!!!

  43. #43Mike L2021-07-01 19:32

    Yeah what could possibly go wrong with harbor freight extractors. (Sarcasm)

  44. #44Truck Shop2021-07-01 19:47

    No worries-mate.

  45. #45crane operator2021-07-01 19:57

    I know, I know. But its a brass fitting in a steel block and I don't think its in there that tight. I think. I hope. I've got a old snap on square extractor that I was ready to cut off, and that's my backup plan, but I hate cutting off good tools, etc. etc. I'm really just whistling in the graveyard.

  46. #46Bluox2021-07-01 20:49

    Actually 8 point sockets were used for square nuts and bolts before ratchets were invented and socket sets only had different shaped handles .these sets usually had 4 point sockets also. Kind of like 6 and 12 point sockets. I have a set of 4 point internal and external pipe plug sockets you know the 7/16,9/16,5/8,and 1/2 square plug sizes. As far as adjustable wrenches if one knows how to use them they work fine . As far as the 6 point plugs how can you put a price on your piece of mind knowing some peckerwood won't be defiling your square head plugs? Bob

  47. #47BigWrench552021-07-01 21:16

    At least when your harbor freight extractor brakes it will be easy to drill out. Unless you're using harbor freight drill bits.

  48. #48John C.2021-07-02 10:56

    That sounds like sarcasm to me.

  49. #49kshansen2021-07-02 16:09

    Well way before there was a Harbor Freight, had to be mid 1960's I bought a cheap set of twist drills from some local Bargain Store outfit near us. Forget what I was working on but was using about a 1/4 inch bit to drill a hole in something steel using dad's old Craftsman 3/8 electric drill. I was pushing on it good and hard to get it started and to my surprise that bit bent a full 90º with out breaking! I straightened it out and pushed easier and actually managed to drill the hole!

  50. #50JLarson2021-07-03 20:25

    I've found that straight extractors are the best on soft fittings in steel and cast. The spirals like to spread the fitting out more.

  51. #51crane operator2021-07-06 21:33

    Well the Harbor Freight extractors didn't work. I ended up cutting off my old square Snap on extractor to fit, and it brought it out. The HF one just spun and wouldn't bite.

  52. #52Vetech632021-07-07 07:53

    I have a similar set of those extractors made by Carlisle I think. They have been good as gold. I have no idea how my font changed!

  53. #53FarmWrench2021-07-13 20:42

    My 1" impact is a Klutch brand. My 1/2" IR Thunder gun is 3/4 as powerful. That being said, the tool market has changed drastically. The Icon brand is a different animal from the early days of disposable tools at HF. I don't know if Northern has kept pace.

  54. #544x4ford2021-07-14 12:22

    I’ve gotten to where Menards is usually cheaper than harbor freight for better tools at least with the hand tools

  55. #55Sberry2021-07-15 08:38

    Menards wouldn't be at that price if it wasn't for HF. All tools would still be 2x.

  56. #564x4ford2021-07-15 12:24

    I agree with that the competition has definitely brought their prices down

  57. #57edgephoto2021-07-18 15:45

    I made my living for over 20 years wrenching on cars. I have mostly Snap-On hand tools. I do have a full set of Craftsman from the 80s too. The Craftsman were my side job tools. Snap on has the nicest ratchets of any I have tried. Mac and Matco are a close second. Snap On sockets are just a hair thinner and for some jobs this makes all the difference. I have only cracked 3/8" drive Snap On chrome sockets when using them on a 1/2 Impact. Snap On sockets do fit a hair tighter than the same size in Craftsman. Snap On air tools are garbage. For air tools Ingersoll Rand is the hot setup. Craftsman tools went downhill in the 90s when everybody was rushing to move factories to China to pump up their economy. Stanley bought the brand and is moving some production back stateside. They are now marketed for the person who keeps their tools in a drawer in the kitchen. I try not to buy anything at Harbor Freight if I can help it. I hate giving my money to an enemy of us. I have always been a person who buys the good tool instead of the cheap tool. Ever have a ratchet, socket or wrench let go under tension? I have and it can be devastating. I have a friend who knocked out several teeth, another who broke his hand and another who gave himself a concussion. For my backhoe I have had to buy some large tools as I was set up for cars not heavy equipment. I have been grabbing Snap On 3/4" sockets off eBay and big USA forged Craftsman wrenches. I can't justify the price of used Snap On large combo wrenches.

  58. #58Sberry2021-08-01 21:16

    As for Klutch,,, not sure I would go out of my way to buy it, I would get and use it if needed and convenient. Wouldnt bother or scare me. I am not as fussy as I was when I started. If your friends are knocking their teeth out with ratchets they probably doing it wrong?

  59. #59Randy882021-08-31 00:02

    I'm not really sure what brand is best, but I do know for a fact, none of them grow when you plant them, not even the top of the line wrenches and nobody has a "lose it and we'll give you another" policy as of yet, when anyone does, let me know, no matter how bad of quality they are, I'd probably buy one just to find out if the warranty is any good. It seems every few years, anyone locally who sells tools, switches brands, basically so they no longer have to provide any warranty, you know "well we no longer deal with that company, you'll have to find someone that does" we now sell this brand instead.............you need it today you say, you'd better buy this brand, its better anyhow, plus the warranty is longer [not that they'll handle that brand long enough to know]. Klutch, I think at one time I had some of those, either they got lost or someone liked them enough to not return them, either way, we're onto to bigger and better ones, or so the locals who sell them tell me, not sure what brand it is this week though. Last week I noticed I had no 3/4 inch combination wrenches left I could find, so I made comment about it, sure would be nice if some of them found their way back to my shop, turns out they did appear, about a dozen of them, just opened the bill today and found out I paid for them anyhow, go figure. Kids, help, spouse, I've figured out over the years, I should have chosen them all more carefully, those I have around now are really hard on my tools.