Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Knuckleboom crane charts

BoomUp · 2023-10-27 00:09

When reading a Palfinger Vehicle Loading crane chart, I see there are two values given. Contained in a box is a number with a shaded box below with a lower number. SWL is indicated but what is the meaning of the lower shaded number?

Replies6
  1. #1BoomUp2023-10-27 00:25
  2. #2crane operator2023-10-27 22:38

    Would help to know which palfinger chart you are looking at. It could be a deduction for some kind of optional attachment, which it would state in the notes for the particular model. Or it could be a comparison for different scales. i.e. One is kg and the other is nm.

  3. #3hvy 1ton2023-10-28 22:02

    1 kg is 9.8 N. Nm or mt would be the class of the crane not part of the chart. Mounted winch would be my guess. Especially since the difference gets smaller as the radius increases and the winch would be mounted on the first stage.

  4. #4crane operator2023-10-28 23:06

    1 nm = 1.11kg. in the conversion chart I was looking at. I only deal in screaming eagle freedom units and I slept through high school science class. So they could mean anything. I can only do metric ton or kilograms to pounds in a pinch if I'm trying to figure out what I can lift. Newton Meter to Kilogram unitsconverters.com helps in the conversion of different units of measurement like Newton Meter to Kilogram through multiplicative conversion factors. www.unitsconverters.com Palfinger had this in one of their charts also, so without knowing exactly what chart it is, its kind of hard to tell.

  5. #5hvy 1ton2023-10-28 23:23

    Nm to kg isn't convertible. which is why it spits out 1.1127E-17(0.000000000000000011127). Nm to kg•m and kg to kN are convertible. 1000 kg is 9.81 kN.

  6. #6crane operator2023-10-28 23:40

    If I hadn't spent my nights dreaming of nubile females I would never date, I would have been able to stay awake in science class and then I would totally get what you're talking about. So the palfinger chart I posted just has similar numbers in the charts showing kN and kg. If you can transpose some decimal points- which is what I was assimilating from the (k) meaning thousands. Which from 34 years ago high school was the whole point of the metric system- the ease of swapping in groups of 10's and moving around decimal points. Which I obviously wasn't really paying attention at. And now I'm going to stop posting of my total ignorance of the metric system, and go back to looking at old grove crane charts, which never dreamed of distances that weren't explained by the size of my boot.