Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

knucklebuster with a Detroit engine?

skyking1 · 2020-11-19 01:16

I spotted one for sale but no identification in the ad. I wonder what make it is?

Replies25
  1. #1repowerguy2020-11-19 05:13

    Just looking at the cutting edge, I would consider it junk, the moldboard is toasted by someone too cheap or stupid to put on a cutting edge.

  2. #2Vetech632020-11-19 07:57

    Looks like an old Austin Western

  3. #3Terry1402020-11-19 08:07

    A Wabco maybe

  4. #4Mother Deuce2020-11-19 08:30

    Weren't the Austins all hydraulic very early on?

  5. #5Mother Deuce2020-11-19 08:33

    I have heard of several instances and this looks like one where the owner or the operator "cut" the road crown into the blade/edge with a gas axe.

  6. #6skyking12020-11-19 11:04

    I think it has been plowing snow for a very long time. Sale is pending on it, but the ask is 3000 OBO

  7. #756wrench2020-11-19 11:16

    the moldboard could be the easiest and cheapest thing to fix

  8. #8skyking12020-11-19 11:23

    No kidding! Who knows how the rest of it is. I got nostalgic reading all the threads of people with home iron. I have a forklift that followed me home, but nothing else. A grader is really my only dream. We are 600' down a gravel road that is kept alive by neighbors dragging a float behind a kubota. We don't get much snow, but plowing it would be nice when we get a wet sloppy dump. I would not need or use an excavator or backhoe on our small property, and I have a couple of years of use of the company iron to do whatever I might think of. This thing ticks off a couple of nostalgia check boxes. Knucklebuster to remind me of Cat 112 days ( of course I would dream of one of THOSE little machines! ) Detroit earplug plus headset musics

  9. #9DB22020-11-19 11:39

    For occasional use I’m sure there’s enough frog (moldboard) left to bolt a new set of blades too. Looks like a stout old unit.

  10. #10skyking12020-11-19 11:56

    It's all probably folly as the first buyer is going to take it. but looking at it I agree I think it would hold enough edge for what I need.

  11. #11Mother Deuce2020-11-19 12:16

    I fight the lusting after battle about monthly in the blade dept. This is this months object of affection. https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=411&acctid=8531

  12. #12skyking12020-11-19 13:47

    Ooooo, That's really new!

  13. #13mitch5042020-11-19 13:54

    Mother, that was mean to show me that, so close to me!

  14. #14skyking12020-11-19 14:57

    Hahaha! Bastiges!

  15. #15Mother Deuce2020-11-19 15:14

    It is a nice one! Look good with the Bucyrus!

  16. #16skyking12020-11-19 15:16

    Yep now he's getting mean.

  17. #17mitch5042020-11-19 15:43

    The B-Es belonged to my brother in law, not me. He died last week, and my sister called in the scrappers. There's only one of them left now, they have been using it to load out everything else, hopefully it won't feel the torch, but two good runners did.

  18. #18skyking12020-11-19 16:23

    B- E whats?

  19. #19Mother Deuce2020-11-19 18:06

    Too bad... very sorry for your loss.

  20. #20crane operator2020-11-21 17:39

    My sympathies to you, for the loss of your brother in law.

  21. #21DMiller2020-11-21 19:30

    Running BEs are getting scarce too, so sorry to hear of your brother passing.

  22. #22DMiller2020-11-21 19:35

    Back to the OP, GOTTA Be a Wabco, 660? Worked on one at the quarry in Augusta MO, hand dogs were On/Off, NO FEATHERING as to function, old man that ran t was a artist with it.

  23. #23skyking12020-11-21 20:04

    Mitch I am sorry for your family's loss. DMiller, I ran that 112 the same way on or off or ouch.

  24. #24mitch5042020-11-21 22:02

    Yeah, a lot of knowledge and skill went with him. He was a hell of a crane operator, welder, and mechanic. He was 83 y/o and still working everyday until 3 months ago. He fell over something in the shop and just never recovered. He wasn't hurt real bad, just never went outside again but for Dr. appointments. He was a great guy, too. He actually hadn't taken a machine out on a job for a few years, but he still maintained everything at my sister's 85 stall horse farm, and did stuff that interested him for customers. He had a 30B, two 22Bs, and a 15B. He sold the 30B a few years ago, but still had the others.

  25. #25skyking12020-11-21 22:29

    I posted a 22B in a separate thread in cranes.