Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kobelco 270 LC Mark IV died.

T.McG ยท 2010-03-10 18:10

I dug a ditch and was returning back to where I started when the engine died and there was no power anywhere, just like turning the key off. It appears as though there is no power coming from the battery relay. All connections are good and you can short across the 2 big terminals of the relay and get power to the console in the cab but it still won't crank the engine. I am going to put a new battery relay on it tomorrow in hopes that that will fix it. Took old one apart and it "looked" good. Any other ideas in case that doesn't work?

Replies6
  1. #1T.McG2010-03-11 18:39

    Got it fixed, had a shorted wire in the cab.

  2. #2AtlasRob2010-03-13 12:32

    Nice result. Thanks for the update. I was going to point you towards the problem I had with a Case CX130 that transpired to be a broken wire. :drinkup

  3. #3T.McG2010-03-13 17:34

    Thanks for your reply. There was a wire going up to the roof above the headliner that used to run a revolving light. The light was gone and the ends of the wire were bare (previous owner). The wire was connected to the ignition switch circuit and shorted against the cab and blew the fuse. Once we got the wire out and taped up and replaced the fuse, everything worked ok. Only took us 3 hrs to find it.

  4. #4AtlasRob2010-03-21 16:02

    Quite incredible how stupid some folk are leaving bare wires floating about. I would say you were very lucky to find it as quick as you did. :drinkup

  5. #5mikef872010-03-21 21:14

    Oh yeah some of this electrical jazz can take quite some time to diagnose, short time to fix but hours to find.

  6. #6bobcatmechanic2010-03-21 21:20

    the best are broken wires inside the insulation that surrounds them. you will get so pissed at your self cause you know what it is and can't find it or it intermittenly works and when you test the wire it tests good but you find its broken later