Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kobelco 330LC – 6 Stepping Motor Issues

stabber ยท 2017-10-30 14:13

Please help, I absolutely love my Kobelco 330LC-6 SN: YC06/U0314, but recently it has been killing me! It all started a couple months back, I tried to start her and she wouldn't fire up and I noticed the stepping motor wasn't moving. I disconnected the linkage and put on the manual linkage and she started up and I moved her to a place I could work on her. I had the machine on and noticed that the throttle position(on the motor) did move, so I manually shut down and reconnected the linkage. Everything worked for a week or so, then again it wouldn't start and I put it in manual mode to get it to a good place. I checked the stepping motor and the resistance is fine, the mechtroller is new, but the display is "stuck" with an air cleaner reset message and the mode / buzzer (also new) doesn't change the mode. I have since backed off the screws on both pumps to put it in manual mode (book says it should work at 90% but it seems like it lost power and almost stalls when I make some movements). I'm a one man band with two helpers (3 year on and 6 year old boy), so its pretty hard to do thorough troubleshooting, but I looked around and there is a motor controller PN: ME441124 , 407915-2852 that has a motor driver board - could this be an issue? If not any other troubleshooting tips? The local Kobelco dealer has limited experience with older machines ....

Replies8
  1. #1Kobelco ireland2017-10-30 15:58

    Hi stabber even tho the motor resistance is OK it's possible it's not it not finding its start position sometimes. This could be that is just needs to be calibrated or the motor could be faulty. Firstly you need to clear the air cleaner fault off the dash to see has the machine any other faults. There is an air restriction sensor mounted on the air pipe coming out the back of the air filter housing. It can be hard to see but it will be treaded into the pipe with two wires attached to it. Disconnect the wires from the sensor and the fault will go away and allow you to see if any other faults appear. On this model if a fault is detected by the controller it will not allow you to change the work modes. I will assume that you have checked the air filter is not restricted, but the air sensor on those machines do give trouble

  2. #2stabber2017-10-30 17:02

    Thanks for the quick reply! The machine is an hour away on my ranch so I will only get to check it on Friday. In terms of the controller I mentioned above, what does it actually control vs the mechtronic computer? I replaced the LCD control panel with the temp and fuel gauge, but the temp gauge doesn't seem to work anymore? Could this all be linked to the motor controller?

  3. #3Kobelco ireland2017-10-30 17:30

    Did you find the engine controller in your machine or just information about a engine controller

  4. #4stabber2017-10-30 17:32

    I just found information about it in the parts manual / wiring diagrams.

  5. #5Kobelco ireland2017-10-30 17:41

    Are they the correct manuals, the 330-6 with stepping motor should not have an engine controller just the main controller(I have never come across one with both). The 330-6E with fly by wire throttle has an engine controller and main controller that work together to control the engine. You will have to look to confirm the engine controller would be located next to the main controller bolted to the back panel inside the cab

  6. #6stabber2017-10-31 11:38

    Thank you once again, I will be going out on Friday and will: 1. Clear the air cleaner error as recommended above 2. Check and take pictures of all controllers - and update thread.

  7. #7stabber2017-11-04 12:35

    Hi, I cleared the air cleaner error but now I have another error that won't clear, as below: PSV pump 2. I have both valves in manual backup mode, is this the reason for the error? How do I cycle to see additional errors?

  8. #8Kobelco ireland2017-11-04 13:17

    That fault is either caused by a faulty pump 2 solenoid or faulty wiring going to it. If you swap the pump solenoids over and fault changes to p1 it's a faulty solenoid if the fault does not change its the wiring