Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kobelco 907 clc

stabber ยท 2009-05-04 11:14

Hello all, I am quite new to the site and excavators in general :beatsme. I just purchased a 1985 kobelco 907 clc ~ 6000 hours ... just to clean some brush and remove some stumps on my brothers farm. It has a recent 1000 hrs rebuilt engine and runs excellent, starts right up ect. The undercarriage is in rough shape though :Banghead... the sprockets are very warn and the chains are just a bit better. I just found sprockets (cheap aftermarket ones) and am trying to get ahold of a book now: but i have a couple questions for the Kobelco experts How hard is it to change the sprockets and are they pressed on ? Is this machine worth putting money intro ?? assuming that the engine - pumps and drives are in vgc ??? or should I use it til she dies and hand her over for scrap ??? any advice regarding older kobelco excavators is greatly appreciated :notworthy

Replies12
  1. #1dirthog2009-05-05 08:20

    sprockets The sprocket rings just bolt on but you do have to remove the track to install them. We do have a lot of the older machines out and running everyday with very little trouble

  2. #2Reuben2009-05-05 09:03

    A friend of mine here in PA just sold his 907....It had about 6000 hours on it also...

  3. #3stabber2009-05-05 10:03

    I just read a thread regarding removing the grease zirk from the idler-tensioner and using the bucket to move the assembly back, then pulling the complete track off the sprocket. Is this possible on a kobleco? I have looked all over and just bought a parts manual, however, I just can't get ahold of a maintenance - shop manual for the 907clc. any input would be greatly appreciated. rgds, Eric

  4. #4Reuben2009-05-05 10:25

    I will call my friend that sold his tonight to see if he kept all his books....I know he had every book you could possibly get regarding that machine. I will let you know if he has them and wants to get rid of em. I have found that if you just simply loosen the zerk and track backwards the assembly will more often then not contract the whole way in. Also I have in the past thown a track and put it back on without breaking the track down. So maybe you could change the sprockets that way.Heck maybe you could get enough slack in the track to change the sprockets with the track still on.

  5. #5stabber2009-05-05 10:30

    Thanks for the advice - help guys !!!

  6. #6stabber2009-05-05 19:32

    Well I just got to start up my kobelco 907clc after it was delivered this afternoon ... very concerned ... :beatsme the oil filter light came on as soon as I started it and stayed on for the time it took for me to get it in the barn ... The guy I got it from said he recently changed the oil and it didn't go on when I tested it out. It doesn't have any analog oil pressure gauge, but it does have a oil pressure warning light that was not on while it was running. I am going to change the oil and filter this weekend ... but should i be very worried ???? Also I want to use full synthetic ... any suggestions on grade and brand ???

  7. #7dirthog2009-05-08 18:47

    oil & sender First I would not bother with synthetic oil I think it would be a waste of moneyit that old machine not only that it could do more harm than good if it starts to loosen up anything that could be in the oil system you could plug something up and have a real problem. As far as the filter light remove the sender from the top of the filter and clean it out with some brake clean or either the hole in them is VERY small and may just have a speck of dirt in it that sender only tells filter restriction.

  8. #8stumper1202009-05-08 20:45

    whats that machine have for a motor a mitsubishi or a isuzu? the oil pressure sending units on those are just 1 wire low pressure units that fail reguraly. cheap and easy. oh yea put some rotella in that thing and call it good. save your money

  9. #9dirthog2009-05-09 16:23

    filter light That is not oil pressure it is just filter restriction more that likely got a piece of dirt in there when he changed the filter it does not take much to plug up that sensor

  10. #10finaldrive2009-05-13 22:51

    The engine should be a Mitsubishi 6D15C. The K907B, C and D series were a breed of their own. The K907LC-II updated to the SK200LC-III then the SK200LC IV. You will have a difficult time finding parts for this machine. The final drives and travel motors are obsolete. The pump is a Kawasaki, but is obsolete. Parts are available to rebuild the pump, but that's it. The swing motor is obsolete, parts are available to rebuild it. The swing gearbox is it's own animal. The slewing ring is available and expensive. Undercarriage is available aftermarket, not sure about the idler and track tensioner though. Engine parts are not a problem, but again they are expensive. Hope this helps, sorry if it's bad news. I worked at a Kobelco dealership for 10 years, through the 90's, and I know this machine pretty well.

  11. #11freedom digger2009-05-17 20:22

    I changed to synthetic oil in a Jeep Cherokee I bought with just over 100k I started leaking out the rear main almost immediatly.I won't change over in any older motor again.

  12. #12MR. KOBELCO2009-05-20 23:27

    if you open up the cover off your monitor, another digit for how many times the hour meter has turned over will be revealled. we have sk210lc-6 dynamic aceras from year 2000 that have clocked 10-12,000 hours. it is not uncommon to have a machine like yours with a clocked 20-30,000 hours. those machines are generally worth 15-20K. you can dump a pile of money into it and it will still only be worth 15-20k. food for thought. k907clc is a rarity. k907lc-II is more common ~ mdi/yutani md200blc k907 has counterweight lights a yutani does not.