Hello all, Please forgive me if this topic has been covered I tried the search function but I am not that computer savvy. I am looking at possibly buying a older (1980's) Kobelco MD240BLC. This will be used on a ranch and not for commercial use. The thing is I cannot find any info about the machine on the infowebs and the machine needs an engine overhaul. Do any of you have experience with this machine? Do any of you know where I can find more info about this machine? Thanks in advance.
If it's an MD model it is not actually a Kobelco but an MDI/Yutani. Back in the '80s Caterpillar bought out Mitsubishi and Mitsubishi was required to build excavators for another 5 years. Yutani was contracted to build them thus the name MDI/Yutani. They are very similar to the Kobelco machines, some where I think I still have a list that crosses them.
Hey thanks excavator for the info I appreciate it. Are parts still available for these machines? I can get this one pretty cheap but if it is all made out of unobtainum then it does me no good sitting on the ranch. I will attach a picture of the machine so that you and others may see what I am dealing with. I know it is going to need a engine rebuild so parts are gonna be necessary .
I think the biggest problem is if the engine is not running, how do you know if the hydraulics are good, meaning pumps, valves, final drives, drive motors, and cylinders?? I would be more concerned about getting hydraulic parts than engine parts....
If it is indeed a 240BLC it has been repainted to look like a Kobelco. It should have a Mitsubishi engine in it, (should be a 6D15-T or 6D16T depending on serial number of machine) and do some checking as to availability of parts. And like Tags said, you're basically buying scrap without knowing what the rest of the machine is like. You might also check with your local hydraulics shops to see if they can get Kobelco hydraulic hose ends, they can be a bit hard to find. I went on the Kobelco parts site and they still list this model machine and it looks like it is the same as a Kobelco K909LC.