Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kobelco SK-220 Won’t accelerate under load? Rovelution sender problem?

metalschmidt ยท 2016-06-08 15:46

Help.. I have a KOBELCO SK 220 LC 1989 LLU. It does not throttle up under load. Auto Acc works to bring it to high idle but when working the machine it does not compensate for load. RPM check reads 0 RPM even though it's running at low idle (400 RPM ? ). All other functions seem to be fine so I thought it was the revolution sender that was faulty and when I checked it it has two twisted pairs of leads. One pair (White and Green) are connected to the harness via a plug with read and white wires. The other pair of wires ( Red and Black) are are just hanging loose. Looks like they were broken off but I have now idea where they go? Can anyone tell me where they go and is there a way to check the sender to see if it is faulty? I sincerely appreciate any advise. Thanks!

Replies6
  1. #1Kobelco ireland2016-06-08 18:51

    Hi is it Cummins or mitsubishi engine. Also could you post picture of engine speed sensor

  2. #2metalschmidt2016-06-08 19:33

    Kobelco SK 220 Won't Throttle up under load. Engine is the 5.9 Cummins and the sensor is on the right hand upper side of the rear flywheel housing ( about 2:00 O'clock.) Looking from the front of engine. Sorry I don't know how to post picture. This machine I have just learned is a Mark IV model which was produced when Case and Kobelco were making them jointly. The sensor has 2 pair if wires but I can no way find where the loose pair are supposed to go. Also would love to know how to test the sender to know if it's good. My Ohm metter does not give any reading on either pair of leads. Thanks for any input.

  3. #3Kobelco ireland2016-06-08 20:03

    A common fault for sensor not working is dirt or in correctly adjusted. Remove sensor and make sure it's clean then screw it back in till it touches flywheel and screw it back out half a turn tighten it and recheck for readings. I will have to double check but I think one set of wires sends signal to controller and other set send it to display.

  4. #4metalschmidt2016-06-08 23:47

    Just ordered a new sensor from Cummins, now I just have to find out where to connect the second set of wires. Strangely the manual only shows two wires going into the C1 controller and it doesn't even say what terminals they hook up to. Seems like I may have to do some re-set-up calibration when I install the new sensor?

  5. #5grandkobelco2016-06-12 05:14

    Those other wires are not used, do not hook them up. Turn sensor in until contact with fly wheel, back out half turn.

  6. #6metalschmidt2016-06-12 08:26

    Thanks. As soon as i get the new sensor I will try that.