Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kobelco SK160LC starting issues

Jackf ยท 2024-09-02 17:36

Hello all, I'm having starting issues with my 2004 Kobelco SK160LC s/n YM03-U0820. Been starting fine until a week ago. Even now rarely it will start instantly on 1st try but more often it takes 3or4 tries. Each time the starter (new) clicks like the solenoid is kicking in, then nothing. If I repeat turning key from ON to START it will eventually start. Makes no difference if I turn key OFF and let the battery relay drop out? Batteries are good, starter is new. Very much appreciate any insight on the issue,. Thank you

Replies7
  1. #10072024-09-03 03:48

    Are you absolutely sure your new starter is tip top working order??? Obviously check all off your battery cable connections on the engine block and any earth straps to body of the machine. You need to do a test which will require a piece of wire and another person to turn the key for you. Hard to get your hands down around a hot engine block but if you can piggy back one end of your test wire around the (small) terminal on the starter solenoid which the ignition key powers up to engage the starter solenoid. Get the other end of the wire and when someone engages the starter and it only goes click have them hold the key in the start position. Touch the other end of your wire on the battery positive terminal and come back to me with the results. Alternatively if you have a multi meter doing the same with the key and measure the voltage on that terminal with respect to the starter body or engine block and come back with the results. Measure the large battery terminal on the solenoid to ground also and record the battery voltage being applied to the starter as well. Regards

  2. #2Jackf2024-09-03 21:13

    Hi again, and thank you for responding. I got 24.6v @ the batt post on the (new) starter. No voltage on either small post on solenoid relay while holding the key in the "start " position but starter did click . In the picture do I touch the red or white wire post with the battery jumper wire ?

  3. #30072024-09-04 04:58

    What you have there which you did not mention is a starter relay screwed to the side of your starter motor. The purpose of which is to keep the heavy current draw of the starter solenoid off the ignition switch. The terminal i wanted you to apply power to is the one on the starter solenoid in the picture without the grommet with a bolt head and Phillips head. I was working up to determining a problem called tooth to tooth abutment. But now seeing your picture i can have a stab in the dark for you. I am guessing the clicking you are hearing is the starter relay not the starter. I suspect it is not pulling in properly. So under the two wires with grommets (on the relay not starter) should be 24V on one side and if you short those two out with a screw driver the starter should engage and crank the engine. So keep your hands away from the fan and belts and be aware there will be a few small sparks so use a screw driver you do not respect. So if the starter engages properly it means ether that relay is faulty or the red and white wire are not providing enough power to pull it in correctly. I am only guessing but i would imagine one goes to the ignition switch start terminal and the other probably wanders off through all the safety interlocks like levers down and so on. All you need is one of those micro switches to have a bad connection. At the end of the day when you are cranking there should be a fairly good 24V across the red and white wire on that relay. What should be there is when cranking 24V with respect to ground on the ignition side and no voltage on the other with respect to ground. Next mission is to check. Cheers

  4. #4Jackf2024-09-04 07:56

    I will jumper the starter solenoid today, but I noticed No voltage on the red and white solenoid wires while the key was held in the start position. I'll pull out and check the key switch today. Fingers crossed! Thank you..

  5. #5Jackf2024-09-04 16:30

    Hello, the machine started instantly when I jumped the solenoid. I pulled the key switch and did some ohm readings and got intermittent readings. After playing with the switch I noticed it was coming apart slightly. I squeezed it back together , plug it back in and the machines starts every time ! I ordered a new switch today. Thank you so much for your input. PS: I've included a pic of the switch starting to come apart a little. Also under the right control cabinet just hanging by the switch I noticed this lamp in a metal grounding case (not working). Any idea what that was for ? Not important , just curious. Thanks again.

  6. #60072024-09-04 19:17

    I hope you mean you shorted relay not starter. You could tighten the crimps on the old switch if you have trouble getting new switch as it would probably be fine to go again. Re: The light, I am not familiar with your machine but that light needs the a socket to get an earth connection so is there not a hole you can just plug it back into? Sounds like you have it mostly sorted so that's good news. Cheers

  7. #7Jackf2024-09-04 20:47

    Yes , I did mean the relay !! All is well now . Thanks again