Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kobelco SK210lc track questions

JesseFixesCATs ยท 2014-08-17 12:16

this is a simple question but i was wondering if kobelco machines have a master link on the tracks like a CAT machine. i was looking around one the other day and i couldnt seem to find it. Thanks

Replies2
  1. #1lantraxco2014-08-17 18:42

    Yep, should have. Generically speaking the older Japanese excavator tracks would have a "T" headed master pin with a hole cross drilled in the opposite end for a small retainer pin, kind of like a cotter pin. Newer units typically have a master pin with a dimple hole in the center of the pin ends to mark it as such and are pressed in, have to look close. Often times if a link gets removed, links have to be added when making a new replacement track chain up, or repairs to the master link area are performed, the mechanic will just use a regular track pin, they're cheaper and since they're being pressed in anyway they're just as easy to install. Typical master pins are machined to relieve the center so they're easier to drive in by hand with a big hammer and a stout drift rod. It's tedious as heck but if you can't spot the master pin point, or one of them in some tracks, lift it off the ground, pressure wash it clean at the joints, then stand at the idler or sprocket and look closely at each pin joint as somebody slowly rotates the track, the master bushing is short and will be flush with the links, usually I can spot it on the first rotation, especially on a worn track. Sorry if I seem like I'm talking down to you, I'm not, I just tend to slip into instructor mode, used to be the undercarriage guru at a Deere dealer. I still wake up with cold sweats from dreaming about running a track press! (tick, tick, tick, tick, tick... BANG!!!!! tuh, tuh, tuh, tuh....) Cheers, Lanway

  2. #2JesseFixesCATs2014-08-17 23:02

    Dang that seems kind of complicated haha. But i understand all your nightmares from working a track press. Been there done that only on CAT tracks though. Thanks for your input