Having a travel issue with my excavator. One side works and the other doesn't. When I lift the track off the ground, I hear what I think is a valve click but no track motion. I can move the excavator forward and backward and the "broken" track will move. The fluid level is good and no obvious hose leaks. All other hydraulic functions seem to be working. Thanks in advance.
if it travels freely when your not hitting the lever I would say that your splines stripped out of your drive motor. the break should hold the track even if your motor is junk unless something broke
pull the cover and check your sun gear
Will do. Just waiting for the hurricane to pass. Will post pictures when I get them. Thanks for the assist.
Good day I suggest you drain the lube see if there are any witness parts to failure. Kind regards Uffex
Thank you for your reply. I have started draining the gear oil and will remove the cover this weekend. Kyle Helmke has suggested that it is the sun sprocket. I have not seen any metal in the gear oil but I believe that the pieces would be to heavy to pour out of the draining hole.
Checking back in. I have broken my ratchet first and the the hex bit to take the bolts out. Trying to get an impact wrench to get the cover off and check the gears. Again, thanks for the suggestions and information.
Good day My experience of those bolts need a few smacks with a two pounder. Kind regards Uffex
Solenoid or Valve Issue: The clicking sound you hear could indicate a solenoid or hydraulic valve issue. Have a technician check the related solenoid or valve for proper operation. Track Motor Inspection: The track motor on the non-working side may have internal problems. It might need servicing or replacement. Computer Diagnostics: If all else fails, use computer diagnostics to identify any error codes or electronic issues that could be affecting the travel function.
This is what I have found so far. I was able to remove the female part that this sprocket goes into and it is as worn as this part. I have been trying to find out what this part is but keep running into a nomenclature nightmare.
Good day If you lift the track frame and operate that track what can you see? Kind regards Uffex
This is the over all picture of the sprocket with the female attachment. Any name to identify this would be helpul. Thanks
Uffex, I didn't want to operate the track with the cover off and the gears missing. Did I not understand your question?
Good day I suggest check the motor is turning. See attached. Kind regards Uffex
Uffex, Thank you for your suggestion of testing the drive motor. I didn't realize that with the sun sprocket out nothing would turn other than the shaft. I did as you suggested and the shaft is turning! and is also terribly rounded. I believe that the splines are rounded to the point that the connecting gears can not mount and turn. I am in the process of removing and cleaning the motor side of the track/housing. This is what I found when I removed the motor side plate.
Good day I am not sure if you have got to the bottom of the problem or not, if the shaft has lost the splines that must be the trouble.I hope there is no dead body's in the case. Kind regards Uffex
I will do more today after work. I'm hoping that the shaft issue is a 20+ year fair wear and tear problem. I am examining both sides now that I have the proper tools and will do what I can. Agreed that I don't want to find any body parts!
Worn splines would not cause your issues unless they are actually completely sheared off (rounded). If you can confirm that, you likely found your issue but make very certain you do a good cleanout to get that debris out. Inspect other areas to ensure you don't have further damage from the failure.
Good day The attached is the first check in trouble shooting a track drive. Kind regards Uffex
Thank you to all that were involved with my travel issue. I was also working with Dean, Kobelco parts contractor, and between all of your ideas and suggestions I am back up and running. Truth be known, I still don't know what went wrong. I took as much of the gears apart that I could, cleaned them and re installed them and it worked. I may be back with the same issue in a short time from now but for now I'm working again.